THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Latest new release from Remington

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest new release from Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
OMG, That's a load of huge crap in one press release:

It’s the latest, greatest edition of out-of-the-box accuracy and hunting performance from Remington® – now in stainless steel with a rugged Realtree® AP™ HD™ camo stock. An upgrade of our famous Model 710,™ the new Model 770™ is the perfect choice for any hunter looking to fast-forward through the process of selecting a scope and components. It comes with a pre-mounted and boresighted 3-9x40mm riflescope. But most importantly, it’s built to our rigorous standards for accuracy and reliability. Simply choose your ammo and you’re ready to shoot.

It features the same great action and barrel as our Model 710 (based on the Model 700â„¢) with super-accurate button rifling, and a more durable magazine latch. Other advancements include a new, ergonomically contoured stock with a raised cheekpiece for rapid scope-to-eye alignment, and grips textured in all the right places for superior shot control.

Available to Premier Dealers, our Model 715â„¢ has many of the same great features as the Model
770, but is equipped with a standard black synthetic stock and doesn’t include a scope.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the 710 a piece of junk though? I've never seen one/handled one before.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Translation:

"It's the latest piece of crap from Big Green - now in (somewhat) stain resistant metallic compound with a plastic stock covered in a camo coating to hide the defects. A re-release of our infamous piece of crap the Model 710. The new Model 770 is the perfect choice for any yahoo too dumb or lazy to choose a quality rifle and scope. The 770 comes with a matching piece of crap scope that is slapped on to our crooked receiver and it's been boresighted by an even bigger idiot than you so that you don't even have to sight it in before you go road hunting. Simply buy any box of any ammo that seems to chamber OK, a case of beer and you're ready to go shoot up some street signs.

It features the same piece of crap receiver and plumbing pipe barrel as the old piece of crap that we discontinued because it was so lousy. This one has a magazine latch made of slightly better plastic than the last one, so maybe it will stay shut for a full day of crat hunting. Other advancements include a new erginomucally argomacilly ergomonicully injection moulded plastic stock with grips textured in a haphazard fashion so hopefully you won't drop the rifle when you have axle grease and dog crap on your hands.

Available to big box discounters, our Model 715 is an even bigger piece of stripped down crap for guys who can't even afford a cheap-ass scope."

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
ForrestB,

Are you gonna be the first to order one?

jumping

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Krochus,

What kind of man are you?

To drag the honorable Colonel Klink into this fight is a new low.

banana

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
That was excellent!!! Hahahahahaha

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Folks, if you have never worked behind the counter of a gun store, you should. I used to get folks asking for this crap ONE THE WAY TO CAMP! No shit. Most of the time it would be a guy who was dragging along a friend and convinced the guy he needed his won rifle and they would some in to get the guy set up. My brother and I have a saying about golf. We love golf, but hate golfers. I must admit I have the same feelings about some hunters. And no, just because it's 'another guy in the fold' does not make me feel better. I see them as a liability. Anyone who wants to 'fast'forward' any process of hunting ought to 'fast forward' themselves back to their easy chair, it misses them

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. The same thing applies to people who bad mouth a product, on this site, when they have absolutely no first hand experience with the product. Postings, like the one starting this thread, only invite the bashers to come forward, and serve no useful purpose.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my thought on this if 100 guys buy a Remington 770 and one guy out of 100 says to himself "you know I really enjoy this hunting and shooting stuff but I really may need to upgrade my rifle and optics" Then I say welcome brother.

The 770 to us may be a piece of crap but to others that are just starting out or on a tight budget and with the price of fuel these days it is really easy to have a tight budget.

I started out with a piece of crap rifle a Savage Model 170 pump 30-30 horrible trigger not very accurate and kind of klunky with pressed checkeringstill maneged to kill a half a dozen or so whitails with it.

Now that I have safes filled with Blasers,Sauers and Sakos I still have no regrets about starting out with a piece of crap rifle.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Well, no one ever went broke overestimating the taste of the American public...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY WELL SAID RON WILLIAMS!!!
My one and only experience with a 710 was at a public range. A young lad brought it up for me to see. What time I wasn't hunting or in a bar, I was at the range so I guess I was a regular. You could tell he had passed up a lot of lunches in come up with the money to buy it and was pretty tickled with himself. Up until then, his shooting had been done with $30.00 Ethiopian mausers and such.
I wasn't about to tell him I thought it was the most miserable piece of cobbled up shit I'd ever seen and I'd own a Savage before I'd buy one of them, so I popped it up to my shoulder a couple of times, gave him a big grin, and said, "boy, it sure comes up nice."
Considering his enthusiasum, I daresay he will go on to own more and better rifles but he will never forget his first "good" rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I say buy one and keep it in the box. In 60 years your kids can marvel over the craftsmanship and how they used to use some metal in the old guns. Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often wonder if the senior management at Remington have a clue where they maintain samples of the Rem.720 and the Rem.725?? Both of those rifles were classic in all respects and with just a bit of modernization could rival all the rest if not overshadow. The Rem. 725 has one of the best done commercial stocks out there and if you insist on the crf concept, the 720 would certainly fill that requirement. I have shot the Rem. 700 for a long time, std. and very much modified, but now it would appear they are even slacking off on that model. They "reintroduce" the Mark X Interarms action w/ low quality control, but it was an ordinary action prior to Remington's tinkering and yet they made it even more ordianary!! Would hope that the new management from Bushmaster will take heed and start injecting some quality control in the product.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MR williams i agree.I've been brought up with some decent guns. my friends as i grew up would always come to me for advice i never put down any of there guns even though some were basicaly junk some of the guys have nice rigs now and some i quess was just a fad either way i try to support up and commers and the poor hard workers just trying to get along

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remingham is addressing the market place...
No further comment required.
If the market place dictated a Rem 720, or a 725, that's what they would make.
We be the market place; maybe not us here on AR, but the folks out there, somewhere... Big Grin

Forrest, I really like you post.. Big Grin I wouldn't touch a Rem 710, or 770 with a 100 foot pole.

Don

Edit to add: Yes, Col Klink is drivin' da bus... jumping

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC Carlin:
Krochus,

What kind of man are you?

To drag the honorable Colonel Klink into this fight is a new low.banana

Ya! So! You're exspecting Schultz perhaps. Das ist silly Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington would not recognize the market place if it jumped up and bit them in the "arss!" Believe Ruger over the past 50 years has recognized the market place far better than Remington with some 200 years of existence. Poor ol' Winchester made a sorry attempt to recreate the Super Grade Model 70's and I am fortunate to have original ones, '06 and 300 H&H, and compared to what they offered in the end, they are not even close to a true Super Grade Model 70. Worked on contract basis for large corporation that did have a few bright ideas and one was known as "best practices..." and the firearms industry should take heed of this policy and the buying public will respond in terms of sales. That is basic marketing 101 as taught in Wharton/Harvard/Princeton and as Mr. Perot used to say, a "roads scholar" would certainly know these things.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
There is a need for an inexpensive rifle for the beginning shooter. We have had one for over 100 years in the lever action 30-30. However firearms companies along with the dribble we read in the gun rags has convinced us that it doesn't work and we need a bolt rifle chambered in the latest and greatest.

As many others here, I was carrying a Winchester 94 in 30-30 when I walked to the back pasture on my first "big game" hunt for whitetail. It was a fine, reliable and affordable rifle and still is. It taught me to control recoil, shoot iron sights, and get close enough to game to make a clean kill. The best thing about the rifle was this, if I had no ambition to do more than bag a deer every year or keep predators at bay I could have used this rifle, given to me by my father who used it on his first hunt, till my dieing day. My children could too. This, in my opinion, is what a "first" hunting firearm should be.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
My first deer rifle was the Rem 788, and I shot it a lot at targets, and got several deer with it. My favorite targets were milk jugs, or any plastic metal or paper container that would hold at least a quart of water. Yes, I picked up the trash afterwards. I would set them up at various ranges and shoot off hand. I really liked to see them explode. So this new contraption by Rem isn't much different than the 788, although I would rather have another 788.

Next, I stepped up Wink to Rugers, then Mausers. I have a few winchesters too, but no Rems nowadays.

But the main thing is that first 243 got me into reloading, a hobby which I'll probably keep since I've had it so long.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
My question is, if these 710 rifles are so maligned, are they selling? It would seem foolish for a company to continue manufacturing a product that does not sell well. I'd be curious to see the answer to that question before beating on Remington any more. This is all aside from the fact Remington makes some very fine products in addition to these entry-level rifles (which, I agree, are pretty crappy). For the money, I'd rather go to a Savage 110, which can be had new for not much, and used for even less.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Entry level rifles used to be Winchester 94s, Marlin 336s, Remington 600s and 788s or a Milsurp rifle. I'll take any one of these over a Remington 710.

My first centerfire was a Rem 600 in 6mm. It had a plastic guard bow, pressed checkering and a bolt handle that looked like a crippled dog's leg but, functionally, it was a sound rifle. That rifle was head and shoulders above the 710 or whatever number Remington slaps on it today.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
The 788's were real value for your buck. Both my sons first deer rifles were 788's in 308 Winchester. They were tack drivers and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Remington hasn't been with it for several years now.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work at a gun counter and have sold four of these (one 710, three 770's). All have been in for repairs, two of them several times. One of the other two came back in with a loose barrel after less than one box of shells,it could not be fixed. Remington did not stand behing any of these four rifles. The warranty is only for sixty days from purchase. There are less expensive and better made Savage package guns available, and slightly more expensive and well put together Model 798, Weatherby and Howa packages. All will give better service. All you need to do is put these five guns on the counter beside each other, and there are no questions, the customers will select one of the other rifles. And by the way, in our store, the left over 710's or the remaining 770's are still sitting on the shelf. Remington makes some nice guns, but this is not Remington's best idea.
Blfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have a local friend in his 60s who bought a 710, in 7 Rem Mag.. he bought the "cheaper rifle" so his budget could include a Leupold 3 x 9 scope... he got it all put together.. and I loaded up some 7 Mag rounds with a 160 grain TSX on them...

Several days before season opener, he takes it to the range, and my reloads won't chamber...

Needless to say he is pissed, but I loaded them for him for free, so he brings them back over to my house...

I can't get them to chamber.... the same rounds chamber fine in my Savage...

So I full length size a case, and we can't get it to chamber...he runs down to Bi Mart and comes home with some factory fresh Remington Green Box rounds..... they won't chamber either....

Takes the rifle back to the store... they tell him they won't exchange it, and he has to send it to Remington for Repair...

He calls me, I tell him to bring the rifle over to my house... we take off the Leupold scope.. I bore sight it for him on top of my Savage 116, and tell him to bring it back after hunting season....

He ends up getting his deer with my Savage, that I loaned him... he ships the rifle back to Remington for repair... they just replace it...30 days after receiving it, and just as our deer season ended...

if you have a Walmart budget, and they are out of Stevens 200s, then I can see someone getting a Rem 710 or its replacement... or if they just didn't know beans about a rifle.. or quality...

I mean, heck, most places that carry a Remington 710 also carry one of those Mossberg rifles that were about $249.00 at Walmart...

even that is a much better rifle than the 710...

I'm surprised that Remington didn't contact everyone who bought one, and offer then an ADL for replacement....

Since ADL, BDL and CDL mean something in Remington nomenclature, why didn't they call the 710, the Remington 710 POS...followed by the Remington 770 B/POS ( Bigger POS)....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's ALL about MONEY and Corporate greed nowadays. They don't care where it's made, or how those foreign workers are treated, it's all about the PROFIT. They don't care if it's a quality product, it's just about X amount of profit per unit.

REALLY take the time to notice WHERE the everyday items in your life are produced. From the food you eat everyday, to the clothing and vehicle You drive. Seems if it isn't made in CHINA it's produced or packaged in some other 3rd World Country. It's all about PROFIT.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote