New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 rem mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
whats the pros and cons of the 350 bolt gun?
im looking at a 22" BBL CRF ruger. thinking of a low-mid power scope.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pros- It works better than its paper ballistics would imply, and its a fun cartridge to shoot. Pretty good selection of 35 cal. bullets. Can get excellent energy levels out to 150-200 yards. Mine in a 700 BDL was a tack driver, and with the 24" barrel could get speeds up there. You can load low-power cast bullets for lots of cheap practice. Great hog killer!

Cons- The 35 Whelen does everything it does with a 250 gr bullet, but better still. The 350 RM is too short to effectively use longer Barnes bullets. The 338 Mag is even more powerful still, and makes a better elk rifle. Loaded rounds are more expensive than they need to be, but reloading makes it affordable to shoot..

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the remington 700 classics in 350rm. The big advantage in these to my thinking is the short action and light weight of the gun. You do sacrifice some powder capacity with the heaviest bullet weights, however the balance is very nice. Big swat in a small gun.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Pros, Accurate, hits like a sledge hammer for real......both ends.....pros and cons....

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the kick less, same or worse than 35 whelen?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the 350 magnum is a short action it's lighter rifle.

But a 35 Whelen does what the 350 magnum does and better. If weight is not an issue, get a 35 Whelen.

One thing is for sure: the 350 magnum appears to be a nice caliber that can get job done on anything in NA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
K,
A great bullet is the 225 partition with the soft lead nose turned off on a lathe. Ends up 220 grains and moves bullet .135" closer to the lands. Also allows a lee crimp on the full dia. section of the bullet. Looks like a protected point. Improves accuracy in my 2 350 rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farrknives:
K,
A great bullet is the 225 partition with the soft lead nose turned off on a lathe. Ends up 220 grains and moves bullet .135" closer to the lands. Also allows a lee crimp on the full dia. section of the bullet. Looks like a protected point. Improves accuracy in my 2 350 rifles.

isnt the 220 weight more ideal in a 338 caliber?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 Remington came in a light weight rifle that made it handy, and 35 calibre bullets make nice big holes. Power wise it falls between the 358 Winchester and 35 Whelen.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
The .350 RM is, for any real hunting purposes, the .35 Whelen Short. Ballistics are close enough that no game animal is going to really know the difference.

I have a Rem. 673 (short action) in .350 with a 22" bbl. I shoot a 250gr. Speer HC over RL15 at just over 2500fps. It delivers 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

The Whelen can do a 250gr. bullet at 2500-2600fps, fully maxed out. Is that 50-100fps difference worth much? IMO, not to any game animal!

Ballistically, my 350 load punches out 3470 fpe at the muzzle and 2117# at 300 yards. With a 200 yard zero I'm 10" low at 300 yards. I'm very comfortable with those numbers.

BTW, please feel free to compare my 250gr. 350RM loads against the 9.3x62 loads. They are really quite similar. 286gr @ 2400fps...

For that matter, compare the .350 against a 300winmag. The .350 does at 275yards what the .300 does at 300yards - ballistically speaking. The difference is that the .350 doese it with a 250gr bullet while the 300 uses a 180 gr bullet.

The 350 was originally designed as a short action caliber with the obvious problem being that heavier bullets are seated quite deep in the case and as a result take up a fair amount of case capacity. The 350 case actually holds a couple more grains than a Whelen case... So with lighter bullets the RM case has more capacity and the edge of the Whelen. The Whelen doesn't take over the lead until the 250gr bullets come into play and even then it's only a small lead.

Further point: if you were to build a 350 on a medium or long action, the .350 can then be "seated long" in the bullets. At this point the .350 becomes a superior round than the Whelen with ALL bullets.

In any case, if you intend to hunt at distances of 300 yards or less, either the Whelen or the 350 will get the job done on America's Biggest game.

Final notes:

1. This site is your friend: http://www.35cal.com./

2. Want to have some stupid fun with the RM? Try a 140 or 158gr .357 JHP over 56-58gr. of IMR 4895. Cheap to shoot, low recoil, and sub moa accurate in my rifle. I call it my Bunny-Load and I do shoot rabbits with it.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 350RemMag can have its magazine box opened a little bit at which point a Woodleigh 310gr can be crimped and fed through the magazine box. They're a lovely rifle and as good as it gets as an all-rounder with the capability of using from 120gr pistol projectiles through to the 310gr Woodleigh. Only slight negative is mine's a S/S and is a bit shiny. Replace the Ruger recoil pad and its more comfortable if your sensitive to recoil ... but recoil really isnt an issue with the factory 200gr load.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, the 180 grain Hornady Single Shot pistol bullet in a 350 RM may just be the ultimate deer load. Do not shot them anywhere except the lungs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote