THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Gibbs Quest II/III Extreme Carbines in .308 ..opinions..

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gibbs Quest II/III Extreme Carbines in .308 ..opinions..
 Login/Join

<Copperhead>
posted
Does anyone have any information about the Gibbs Quest II and/or III Extreme Carbines? I'm more interested in the Quest III because of it's synthetic qualities. I'm looking at these rifles partly because they're .308s.

I emailed them, and they said that the accuracy was from 1 to 3.66inches -depending upon ammo type. Other than that.. I don't know much about the rifle. -is it dependable? -can I rely on it in a life/death situation(for example sake)?

Any information at all would be helpful! Both good and bad things about the firearm and the Gibbs company in general.

Thanks alot!!!

--------------------------------
S.S. -C O P P

<Harry>
posted
I ordered one in for a customer that thought it would be a great rifle to leave behind the door at the deer lease...he brought it back and said...sell it.
Looks like a pc. of junk to me. Take your money and buy a everyday Rem, Win, Savage, Ruger and be happier.

<Copperhead>
posted
Hmmm.. that sure doesn't sound very promising to me! Now I'm all confused!! lol
What about the rifle did the customer not like?

Any other opinions out there?

----------------------------------
S.S. -C O P P

<Copperhead>
posted
..did the bolt 'lock into place' snuggly? -or was there too much looseness?

--------------------------
S.S. -C 0 P P

one of us
posted Hide Post
The lightest, factory .308 I know is the Remington Custom Shop model 7 @ 5 3/4 lbs. There are others, the Model 7 SS, the various Ruger Ultra Lights/Compacts, and the Steyr Scout.
All of these are good, reliable guns. Anything any lighter, and your recoil would be fierce. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Copperhead>
posted
This rifle's EIGHT POUNDS! That's about the same weight as my Mauser 98! -At any account.. I've heard some pretty harsh comments about Gibbs Co... and fewer good remarks.

I am, However, Looking at a Savage Sierra model 10FM(ultra light). Any information about this rifle? -I know Savages are good.. I own a few. All the same.. all comments are greatly wanted. It will be in .308Win caliber. Any accuracy comments?

Thanks!
---------------------------------
S.S. -C O P P

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Quest carbine in 303. The first one I ordered had a gouge in the chamber and I sent it back to Gibbs. This one is okay. The ported barrel is too loud for my taste. I take it along when i am shooting my mausers, but when my reloading components for it are used up it'out of here

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
A guy showed up at the rifle range last fall before deer season with one of the Gibbs jungle carbines that he intended to use on deer. His looked like crap and shot even worse.
Definitely look into the Savage. All the one's I have seen have been shooters. If one does happen to shoot bad, it is an inexpensive operation to have it glass bedded or switch out the stock for something a bit better. Another good possibility is to look around pawn shops and find a decent used rifle. Every Remington I have ever bought or shot, except for the new aluminum bedded models, have been disappointing out of the box. Again, a glass bedding job and they are tack drivers.

<Copperhead>
posted
Every Savage I've ever shot were tack drivers pretty well right out of the box. None of that glass bedding was ever needed. Savage's are good guns.

-----------------------------
S.S. -C O P P

PS
---------------
I will NOT get a Gibbs. Tooooo many pissed off people that own them. I've ruled them out. I'm looking at the Savage Ultra Light models.. along with the possibility of a NEF Survivor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gibbs rifles certainly look good I reckon (a bit different) but sounds like there trash.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote