New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Win or .300 Wby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you get the .300 Wby and are working on loads, I recommend the 200 gr. Nosler Accubond (most accurate bullet I found for my 300 Wby) and a stout charge of RL 22. Remington brass, Federal 215 primers.

You can get greater velocity using IMR 7828, but I got better accuracy with RL 22, at a sacrifice of maybe 100 f.p.s. in top velocity.

(Incidentally, in Saeed's load tables in the Reloading section of Accurate Reloading, he states that he was not able to get anywhere near the velocities given for the .300 Weatherby in the Nosler manual. I did get those velocities from RL 22 or IMR 7828 in my .300 Wby -- and that from a 24 in. barrel on a Remington 700.)

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 Weatherby.

I had a Vanguard (in 7mm Remington Magnum), and traded it for....a 300 Weatherby.

It was the most accurate factory rifle I owned.
I gave it to my father, and he is still shooting it at age 82.

Handloading for it provides lots of opportunities to play with cartridge length, heavy for caliber bullets, very slow powders, etc.
Seriously, if you enjoy handloading (I do), then the Weatherby is the better choice.
It will teach you quite a bit.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have both, I think the 300 Win. Mag. is a good way to go.
Good luck

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vote Weatherby. If you're going for long, fast, and straight, you might as well go all out and get the weatherby.

I'm not particularly fond of hunting with high velocity cartridges, and I don't go along with shooting game at ridiculous ranges, but I love to plink with my weatherby. It's a heck of a squirrel/gopher killer. Makes mince meat of hogs out to 300 plus yards as well.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Why not a .300 RUM ??? Faster than the Weatherby, most are incredibly accurate, and no lousy belt !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went with the Ultra 300 Rem Mag and the 300 win mag. That way I don't down load my RUM.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote