New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk/Muley Load in 7 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I am headed back out west this November if I get some tags. Last year I was using 150 Federal Supremes, however since then I have begun to load my rounds.

So I was thinking of going with a 160 grain Nosler Partition. Anyone have experience with this? What are some proven loads?

I will be using a Win M70 with a Boss and ear plugs. Smiler

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my mind the 7mm 160gr NP is to the 7mm Rem mag., What the 180gr NP is to the 30-06.

Pretty much a go anywhere do anything load. (within reason)

I think you are on the right track. Wink

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monticello:
Well I am headed back out west this November if I get some tags. Last year I was using 150 Federal Supremes, however since then I have begun to load my rounds.

So I was thinking of going with a 160 grain Nosler Partition. Anyone have experience with this? What are some proven loads?

I will be using a Win M70 with a Boss and ear plugs. Smiler

I like the 140-grain Nosler Partitions, use them for both ( but have not shot many elk ).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14392 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 160gr NP is my go to load in the 7mag. RL22, IMR7828 & H1000 will get over 3000fps in a 24"bbl. I've taken one elk w/ the 160grNP & several deer size animals. It just works, flat shooting & hard hitting. If you have access to a chronograph, you'll prbably find your 160gr handloads push the Fed.150gr for vel. & accuracy. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's kind of what I figured.

Being fairly new to reloading I have a question. Are all of the 160-162 grain bullet charges in the Hornady and Lee manuals okay to use with the 160 grain Nosler Partition?

I am thinking yes, but want to be sure.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't say for the 160s as I have not shot any, but I use the same load for Hornady 175s and Nosler 175s with not enough difference in impact to change a sightin. I use the Hornadys for deer and sightin and the more expensive Noslers for the elk. The 175s work great on deer and elk and there is never a worry about angle etc. They shoot more than flat enough for both. RL 22 works real well.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
I did shoot a Elk with 160gr Nosler partions and the bullet exited. The Elk traveled about 30 yards and fell over. This at a range of about 200 yards.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes Monti, unless you are running max. loada, swapping bullets, except for the mono metals like Barnes, usually causes little problem. As usual though you should drop a grain & work back up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys.

I don't have access to a chronograph, but I really want one. Maybe Xmas present.

So I have been doing research on some powders and max velocity for the 150 and 160 grain Partitions. I think I am going to go with H4350 or H4381. The only thing I can't figure out is how Federal manufactures ammo that exceeds recommended handload velocity by over 150 fps in some cases? Are the powder manufacturers erring on the side of caution? I know 200 fps isn't going to amount to much at about 300 yards but I am just curious as to their "trick of the trade."

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think H4350 is a bit fast for optimum vel./pressure in the 7mag. w/ 150-160gr pills. I get best vel. / accuracy using RL22 & IMR7828. H4831sc is still a tiny bit fast for best vel. but accuracy seems always to be good.
You asked about Fed. vel. figures, both 150gr loads from Fed. are getting 3100fps+. You will have no problem reaching these vel. from a 26"bbl.
www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/7mmremma.php
http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=centerfire&step=2&bulletID=243&cartridgeID=1068&caliber=7mm&cartridgedescr=Rem%2E%20Mag%2E&bulletdescr=Sierra%20160%20Spitz%20BT
www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/7mmremmag.php

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 22 it is with 160 grain Partitions.

From what I can tell it's the way to go. Now I just need to get confident with some 350 yard shots. It's tough finding those distances in the jungles of the Deep South. I will see what I can do on our property. I am thinking about just getting an 8"X8" steel plate and spraying flourescent orange and practicing prone and off sticks. I figure if I can ring that plate consistently I can kill an elk.

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monticello:
Reloader 22 it is with 160 grain Partitions.

From what I can tell it's the way to go. Now I just need to get confident with some 350 yard shots. It's tough finding those distances in the jungles of the Deep South. I will see what I can do on our property. I am thinking about just getting an 8"X8" steel plate and spraying flourescent orange and practicing prone and off sticks. I figure if I can ring that plate consistently I can kill an elk.

Monticello, I don't have a 7mm RM but I hunt with a lot of guys that do and almost every one of them uses 160 grain Partitions. They use them on everything from mule deer to elk to bears. Hard to argue with success. Good cartridge and good choice of bullet.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Monti, if you can consistantly hit a 8"sq. plate @ 350yds form field positions, you are fine for 90% of elk hunting situations. Your 7mag/160grNP comb will do you well. beer