Notify
Tools

6.5 PRC anyone???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone shooting this one???
What is your take???

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out PRC loads here and you will find my information on the two rifles I shoot. Good Shooting

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a Springfield WP 2020 and a Bergara HMR Pro. Both very accurate with factory Hornady loads, but I will be reloading.
Used the WP last October with 147 ELDM factory ammo to take a very nice aoudad at 337 yards. Bang flop.
I am reloading using Berger 156 gr Elite Hunter bullets. N565 and H1000 are my powders of choice so far.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like mine, enough that I now also have 2. One is an early Fierce. This was before the big makers were chambering them. I have shot a lot of game with it, initially using the Hornady 143 ELD-X and more recently using the 156 Berger Elite Hunter. No complaints with either bullet from moose to pronghorn. The 2nd is the Sako S20. I found one so cheap I couldn't pass it up. I have shot it only once with factory Hornady 143 ELD-X and it shot lights out. I am fairly new to long distance shooting but am enjoying playing with these rifles and this caliber. The 6.5 CM was the darling when this came out but I saw this as a more effective hunting cartridge at longer distances.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in a Tikka rifle. Early loads seem to group 140 gr bullets very well. 140 ballistic tips shoot to the same spot 140 accubonds do. Now if I could only find more accubonds. Should make a pretty effective long range deer rifle

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in a Cooper. 61.0 grains of Magnum will give me 3100 fps and shoot three shots into the .2's using 124-grain Hammer Hunters. It's a better 270 Winchester. Less recoil, and more accurate than the Custom shop CZ Sonoran I had in 270 Win. So I sent it down the road.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Been shooting a PRC I had put together with a Defiance lightweight barrel at 21" to shoot suppressed without having a really long barrel when hunting. I hoped to get at la=east 6.5 Creed performance, but got way more than that. My 143ELDx loads are 2850 on my chrono.

Killed lots of game with them out to near 600 yards with excellent terminal performance.

I've always been a 6.5 fan and still shoot my 6.5 Swede in a Custom Mauser and Blaser R93. Hunted a lot of American and African game with them using bullets from 130-156 grain.

The PRC is my modern hunting favorite but, being a carbon stocked and barreled rifle it's just an ugly duckling that I won't take to Africa.....

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a classic last hour of the last day situation, I swapped my 6.5 CM for my buddy's 6.5 PRC when the distance to the Elk was a bit beyond 460 yards. Just a little extra bit of MV insurance for the shot.

It was just a factory rifle with one of those carbon fiber barrels with a break on the end. Very easy shooting rifle.

If I didn't already have the CM, I'd buy a PRC. But own both? Nah, not enough difference between the two.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right Puddle, sell the creedmoor and get a PRC... Big Grin

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own both. A Cooper Raptor in the Creedmoor and a Open Country in the PRC. 38.0 grains of Varget will give me the same accuracy as the PRC at 2870 fps using the same bullet 124 HH. That's 230 fps difference. I appreciate the higher velocity of the PRC, and the almost negligible recoil of the Creedmoor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5-06 that has been my whitetail rifle for the last two years with perfect results. Curious to know what the case capacity comparison is between it and the 6.5 PRC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady did some voodoo with these rounds. They are pleasant to shoot, and regardless of the price on the rifle, they seem to be submoa, and if you hand load, halfmoa. That said, I wouldn't trade a good shooting 6.5-06 for a 6.5 PRC. I would think case capacity to be so close as to be insignificant in the real world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swm:
I have a 6.5-06 that has been my whitetail rifle for the last two years with perfect results. Curious to know what the case capacity comparison is between it and the 6.5 PRC.

Sounds delicious!^^^

I built a 6.5x280AI and have nothing but love after using it for the last 5 years of so. I use the 140 Elite Hunter or the 124 Hammer Hunter with RL-26 and it's a winner.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve kicked around building or buying a 6.5 PRC but never have. I ordered a 6.5 Barrel yesterday. Will probably do 6.5/06, I have a Mauser action that needs a new barrel. I don’t have anything 6.5, 6.5/06 seemed to make sense. I may check and see if Howa makes a 6.5 PRC, if so may buy one.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Us
posted Oct 23, 1:35 PM Hide Post
I really like mine, enough that I now also have 2. One is an early Fierce. This was before the big makers were chambering them. I have shot a lot of game with it, initially using the Hornady 143 ELD-X and more recently using the 156 Berger Elite Hunter. No complaints with either bullet from moose to pronghorn. The 2nd is the Sako S20. I found one so cheap I couldn't pass it up. I have shot it only once with factory Hornady 143 ELD-X and it shot lights out. I am fairly new to long distance shooting but am enjoying playing with these rifles and this caliber. The 6.5 CM was the darling when this came out but I saw this as a more effective hunting cartridge at longer distances.

snowman
one of us

Billy.

If you are going to do it might I suggest a 6.5-06 AI.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote