New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Holland's Super...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I really, really want a 300H&H rifle. The question is what action to use. The easy answer is to just buy a CZ off the rack. I own several, and really appreciate the set trigger. The other options are to have one built, but is the MRC long magnum action (which is available now) or a bit of a classic, a sporterized Enfield P-14/17 the better choice? It looks like I will be back in Africa next spring if all goes well, and I will be hauling my CZ 375H&H.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I 'd do one on a Classic M70 action. I have an unfired M70 in 300 WBY and really wish it was an H&H. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 M70 Classic

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger No.1. You can buy a Boddington series off the shelf or build something special with a longer barrel, nicer wood, better sights, some English sporter details...

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Military mauser action opened up to the proper length. Then do its twin in .375 or .416.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I gets to be all about time, money and what you want.
I built several rifles of of P-17's and P-14's, ==much time.

Built .300 ,.375 ,.425WR & .505 all turned out great, did I say much time & money.

CZ off the rack ==no time.

Your time and money== you choose.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A P14 will already have the bolt opened up to 300 H & H size. If you can find an old "junk" P14 that was butchered with a 308 barrel for use by the British as a cheap target rifle in the 1960s then just have it re-chambered to 300 H & H and you're done apart from the external cosmetics and stock.

Try www.holtandcompany.co.uk in their Sealed Bids Sale for such things. About the only good thing that our useless British NRA is responsible for! The modification I wrote of was once not uncommon here in UK.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pre-64 Model 70s are not that hard to come by. I have 2 300 H&Hs. I paid $1k for the last one- it had been refinished, but who cares.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
Mine's an 300 H&H #1S from Ruger's early "limited" run. Now they're doing these in the Boddington series. I see where Ruger is also coming out with a limited run of Super 30s in it's Hawkeye bolt action.

Good to see this old gal receiving the attention she deserves ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing more classic than a pre 64 M70 300 H&H. Second would be a 98 Mauser.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had the money, Wayne and co. would get the nod.
You know it'll be 100% reliable and great looking.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre64 300H&Hs are nice, but they leave a bit to be desired in the c.o.a.l. department.
H&H rounds deserve proper magnum length actions.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
Trax: What make of rifle is that?

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have several 1917 /p14 for sale if you want one I can getr you prety close and you can finish as you like .

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with wanting the 17/14 Enfield rifles for an H&H. I found this 1917 minus scope already made in a .300 H&H for $99 at a local shop. I've got a long ways to go to make this into a suitable hunting rifle but I'd love to take an elk with it some day. I'm thinking it would launch some 180-200 grain Nosler Partitions quite well at big game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick Adams:
Trax: What make of rifle is that?[endQUOTE]

restocked P64 H&H.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you own a CZ you are already familiar with the challenges of mounting a scope appropriately low -- just can't be done. If you don't mind the way your CZ fits you, then buying one factory-made would be your most economical route.

I lucked into an original Sako L61R in .300 H&H recently. It's not in the best of shape, but it is all original and from the way it appears to shoot, I won't mind spending a little bit to restore its appearance. The great thing about a Sako L61R (or A-III or A-V) is that all you have to do to make it into an H&H is to screw on a new barrel. OR, you could take one of the very commonly avaialble Sako .30-06's and have the bolt and feed rails modified (simple), then rechamber the original barrel for .300H&H. Since they came with 24+" barrels, you would be all set.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had two barrels fitted to a Mod 70. One was 375 H&H and the other 300 H&H. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I swithched them out two or three times, and have tested both barrels on the same action. I really liked shooting the 300, but for most of the time, and now, the 375 is the barrel that remains on the action. It's a natural. Both cartridges are unreal smooth feeding, and the gunsmith used some follower that's not standard Winchester, which allows four down, either cartrdge.

So, the 300 H&H always appealed to me. Over time, I have had several asemblies of parts to make another 300, all on a Mauser action. But somehow I traded or sold all the parts.

Except now I have another opportunity. Basically I have all the parts to make a 300 H&H - Blackburn bottom metal, Charles Daly receiver, FN/Browning Magnum bolt, LW or Shilen barrel, McMillan or walnut stock, and a gunsmith qualifed to put it all togehter.

I'm thinking this time - put it together, and enjoy.

I tested some handloads in the Mod 70, and found it an easy cartridge to deal with. Accuracy was not a problem, and the barrel I tested, PacNor 10" twist, shot 165gr - 200gr bullets equal in accuracy. As I remember, compared to the 30-06, +10 grains of powder = at least +100 fps. Although the 30-06 is great, the 300 H&H is special too.

Brass may seem scarce, but not really.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Weatherby MkV. Custom barrel. Custom classic stock. Have your smith check and tune trigger, lock screws. Fantastic rifle.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one, on a pre-war Mauser 98 (commercial) action.

What is it that you want from your rifle?

Is it going to be a working rifle? Then it seems like a standard Remington action would be the easiest solution.

A Mauser action is pretty slim and sleek. I like mine a lot. Opening the action for a 300 H&H cartridge is actually very little work for a gunsmith who does it frequently, but it requires a custom/semi-custom magazine.

A Winchester Model 70 is an excellent answer, but they are so overpriced these days that I wouldn't use one unless I already owned it.

Why not a Montana Rifleman action?
They are reasonably priced, slick up nicely, and will easily handle the 300 H&H length.

It's a great cartridge. You'll have some good hunts when it's built.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one on a Model 70 (OM) a long time ago, and let a collector get it from me. I want a Classic plains game hunting rifle for the return trip to Africa. I really like CZs, they fit me and I think the set trigger is a bonus. You can turn it into a standard, but not vice-versa.
Two bolt guns for the world, my 450 Dakota, and a 300H&H.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I had one on a Model 70 (OM) a long time ago, and let a collector get it from me. I want a Classic plains game hunting rifle for the return trip to Africa. I really like CZs, they fit me and I think the set trigger is a bonus. You can turn it into a standard, but not vice-versa.
Two bolt guns for the world, my 450 Dakota, and a 300H&H.

Rich
Buff Killer

Rich, buy your 300 from Wayne, you know it'll be a great buy.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a .30 super flanged built on a PD Farq action and sold by Holland in 1926....I love it.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skb,

That is sweet - do you have any more pictures?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was very lucky, my step mother in law willed me her elk rifle, a 1955 Model 70 in 300 H&H along with four boxes of old silvertips. One box about half shot, all that the rifle had fired. Same year as myself. As the gun is almost pristine, I got another cut down beater stock and installed a recoil pad to get the LOP back. Plan to take this one out this year, it has been sitting for 10 years now, time to go hunting. Very accurate rifle, both with 110's and 220's. The heavy weights are where the H&H really shines, even better than the 300WM with the heavy weights. Will admit that I did not really like the checkered steel butt plate on the oringinal stock at the range, that thing bit hard..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a few, but I should take more

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote