New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's it worth
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm not sure I want to sell. But, a friend wants to buy my 30-06 Mauser 98. Its an original FN commercial 51 action and barrel. I've put it in a Boyds JRS stock. It has a Timney trigger. It's a legitimate 1.25" shooter. What would be a fair price? thanks, capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the original stock and its in good shape, I would say 7 to 800. If you don't have it, 550 to 600.
I think I would keep it. Nothing out there as good as that today. Not mass produced anyway.
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i was a vendor set up at the Robstown Saxet gunshow last week...I saw several commercial 98 mausers in aftermarket stocks for under $400....even with an adjustable trigger...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
were they FNs or Zastava? captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Robstown Saxet gunshow last week...

Area has a huge effect on price for sure

Posts: 19403 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjroberts:
If you have the original stock and its in good shape, I would say 7 to 800. If you don't have it, 550 to 600.
I think I would keep it. Nothing out there as good as that today. Not mass produced anyway.
...tj3006

Yes, I'd say those seem reasonable prices. The known fine accuracy and trigger would make it worth more to me but it could be hard to get in the market.

So, I would hang on to it. Once we used to sporterise rifles like that to save money but, as supply dries up, any in original condition are too collectable to touch. Hence, it is only a matter of time before good ones that have been sporterised will be valued for any further potential.

Posts: 4984 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with TJ on the original stock price.
but about 1-150 lower on the non original stock price.

I gave 450 for both my BRNO and VZ-24 rifles built pretty much from scratch with 300$ barrels on them.

Posts: 4986 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
the zastava 98's were new... and close to the $500 mark... several 1909 argentines that were rechambered to 30-06 when they were imported... ( I have several of those).... and just a general mix of 98 mausers...some commercial fn's, and some sporterized... this was my first Saxet show as a vendor... when I lived in Victoria, a friend and I would visit...i'll be back as a vendor next year sometime...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Location is huge.

Earlier this year Cabelas was selling new Zastava 98's for just over $300. This weekend the LGS had an unfired Zastava 98 in 7mm-08 for $329. Two months ago I bought an FN 270 for $329. This weekend the same LGS had essentially the same FN 270 in an aftermarket stock listed at $700. It has been there going on four months.

Two years ago these would have sold at 50% more.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on if the FN has a single or double cut, the single cut models fetch a couple of hundred dollars more as a rule, but many are sold without that knowledge and you can get a great buy knowing that...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41902 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote