New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger RSI in .308 Win.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ruger in the above mentioned caliber and configuration and in attempting to develop loads for it, I can't seem to get it to shoot consistently.

I have used 150 gr. and 165 gr. Interlocks and Interbonds using 4064 in increments from 44-45.5 grns. of powder. I know that these are somewhat finnicky rifles, but this fits the bill for hunting in thick brush for deer and hogs.

My question is should I have full length beded, trigger adjusted and maybe condider a re-barrel, or should I have loads developed for it from someone like Superior Ammunition. I really like these compact little rifles so the goal is really to try and keep it. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 77RSI is hit or miss. They use their Ultralight barrel, which doesn't seem to agree with the inletting of their full length stock.

The barrel heats very quickly, and contacts the stock unevenly.

Solutions include bedding the chamber and freefloating the barrel, full length bedding the entire barrel, replacing the rifle.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a tang safety version of the same rifle. It never was a super accurate rifle, averaging around 2 inches with all loads tried. I used it on elk and blacktails in Washington state. It always hit where I aimed on game. I ended up using Win 748 and 180 grain Speer hotcors.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I haven't handloaded for mine but it shoots the 150 Gr. SST's into 1.25" for three shots. That's the only weight it liked. That's good enough for the short range hunting I use it for. It's an older tang safety model, has had a little trigger smoothing done on it.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two suggestions.
One. Buy a box of Federal 168 gr Matchkings.
This is one of the most accurate loads there is for a 308.

Two. Load a 165 Sierra HPBT Gameking, 168 Matchking, 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or even a 165 Nosler Partition over 39.5 gr of IMR 3031, with a CCI or a Federal primer.

If your rifle does not shoot the above loads good then I would say there is something wrong with the rifle.
I have never seen a 308 rifle of ANY brand, or action that would not shoot the above loads at least pretty good.

What size groups does it shoot now?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Mine (a MkII) doesn't like the Federal 308M (168gr MatchKing) at all and doesn't seem to care for bullets over 150gr. I finally found a load using a now discontinued Sierra 130gr softpoint and H322 that will group around an inch at a hundred yards but I haven't tried it on deer yet. It also likes the one box of 150gr Federal Fusion ammo I've bought for it. Shorter bullets seem to be a good choice.

My rifle gets around 2" with most loads and the ergonomics are so good I seem to hit better from field positions than I do with some "accurate" rifles. bewildered

Shoot it some away from the bench and you'll probably be happy with the results.

BTW: My RSI would be one of the last guns I'd willingly part with. Too many memories of deer hunting and good times.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little more info would be nice,
Are you shooting factory or hand loads?
I would like a RSI in .308 or an RL. Is your Ruger A MK
/ Or the tang safty version. In your rifle I would try varget and a good acurate bullet. Not knowing what you are shooting ate makes helping you with bullet choice a problem. But I have had good lick with vargit in short barreld 308s RL 15 is another good choice, but my currant 308 is a pre 64 featherweight and it likes IMR 4064.
Another couple things to consider are you shooting 3 shot groups, or 5 ? I would go with 3 shot groups in that rifle for sure, and I would let it cool between groups. If it does not satisfy, sell it, and get a CZ 550 full stock. My 7X57 is very acurate !!! tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas:

The rifle will be used for deer and hogs. I have been using hand loads to test the rifle. The rifle is a MKII.

I have been shooting 3 shot groups. Thanks for your insights and information.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHM7753. I suggested loads that might work in your rifle in the gunsmithing room. I think that the 165 gr. load would be best for deer, but the 180 gr. load might be the choice for hogs. In fact, that 180 gr. load just migh work out well for deer too if your shot as under 200 yards. If you try them, let me know how thet work out.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote