New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Hates The FinnLight???
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
I don't want to hear from people who love them. I see that all the time. I want to hear from people who has had trouble. People that says the barrel is rough and copper fouls easy. People who tell me you got to do alot of bedding work just to get it accuate. Or people who never could get there's to shoot good. I am about to shell out some cash for one. And I promised I would never have another factory barrel gun. But I need a light gun.

<JOHAN>
posted
bigcountry

I have been looking at the finnlight for a while. A friend of mine bought one and the barrel needed to be lapped.

What I hate about it is the short barrel I guess 22 inches would be better. The stock is truly ElCheapo and reminds me of tupperware [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

The gun is nice in manny other ways. I think sako should add a quality fiberglass stock to this rifle soo it matches the price better [Big Grin]

Cheers
JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Bigcountry, I have to echo Johan. Although I am an avid Sako collector and believe that they are the best bang for the buck, I have to draw the line with the Sako synthetic and Finnlight. The cheap, injection-molded stock does not belong on a rifle with an MSRP of over $1300 US - they belong on a Winchester or Remington. [Big Grin] They should have used a McMillan as they did with the earlier Fiberclass model. I can't speak to their accuracy or other idiosyncracies because I won't own one. [Mad] Dr. Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
See thats what I was looking for is good ole honest truth. Guess, I might be building one of my own out of Krieger barrels, and Sako Action, and McMillian Stock.

<leo>
posted
In Outdoor Life's summer 2002 edition they tested a number of new rifles; the Sako Finnlight included. The two biggest drawbacks I saw them list was the bolt was too complicated due to the key-lock disabling system and that the rifle was not all that accurate(chambered in .243), especially for the price. Our fellow poster, Allen Day, was one of the judges so you might e-mail him for his thoughts.

<bigcountry>
posted
I wonder if I build a 'lite' 7mm-08, if I should use a 700, model 7, or sako action. I guess the model 7 is the lightest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All!
When the Finnlight was introduced in Sweden, at least one gun magazine axed the accuracy of the gun.
Yes that can actually happen i europe, a magazine writing in an article that someting is crap [Big Grin] .

In a following number of the magazine, they said that after talking to the importer, the barrel was lapped/cleaned with StarBore.
After that the accuracy was OK.

I am a Sako fan (just got my TRG 22 [Big Grin] ) but I have to admit that the Finnlight is not a desirable gun [Frown] .
As stated in a previus post, the price does not match the apperance, and possibly not the accuracy either.

//

Posts: 68 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Hey B.C.

How light does the gun need to be? If 7.5 scoped is good 'nuf, then a M-7 laminated stock would be a nice tool and well priced. I have a 700 Ti in 7-08 that squeezes under 6 lb scoped after a few modifications.

After recrowning the bbl and messing with the bedding, the gun will do 3 in 1 1/4" with it's best loads. I'd say the M-7 should do the same w/stock bbl. (With some bedding perhaps.)

The factory syn-plastics seem to be junk for the most part, but the stock on the Ti really is a shell with a foam core and fibers of Kevlar. The lam. stocks from the factories are quite stiff, and weigh the same as the tupperware.

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey! Big COUNTRY,
Which Turkey Creek?

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Turkey Creek in Pike County. Not Turkey over in Martin. Where ya from?

Jim F. 6lbs would be outstanding. But I have never seen them that light. 7lbs scoped would be about right though.

<JimF>
posted
OK B.C. 6lbs scoped comin' up

Take a Rem 700 Ti in 7-08 Out of box weight 5lb.5oz. (That's what mine weighed)

Add Leo. 3X9 compact = 9 oz.
Add weaver bases w/ultra-lite rings = 2.8 oz.

Voila! 6 lb 1oz. You can shave a little more by doing the following...

I replaced the trigger guard and bolt shroud w/aluminum (saved 3.5 oz.) and shortened and recrowned @ 20" (saved another 1.5 oz.)

This is probably lighter than custom as McMillan stocks are not real light, and the med. Sako weighs about 4 oz more than a Rem 700. The custom route may shoot bettter, but it also might not.

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of light Sakos, I'd like to chop up a Tikka Stainless Synthetic for a light gun...but not sure where weight can be trimmed most effectively. They start out somewhat lighter than the Sako 75.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako had the wonderfull L=Series rifles and actions then the bean counters devised a method to make them cheaper and cost more money...I have not and will not own one...

If I want a Sako, I will buy an L-461 or one of its big brothers and build my own on that nice old action....

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Hey P.Andy:

When you start to lighten a current factory "lightweight" you'll find some roadblocks right off the bat. Most have a bbl. length of 20-22" and are about .560 or so @ the muzzle. There is very little that you can do with the barrel to save more than an oz. or two. The action and bolt can be lightened but you are talking major $$ for machine work with a max savings of about 4-6 oz. Cost for that much machining = probably 300-$500(btw I'm not aware of anybody that offers this work on Sakos)

The biggest chunk can come from the stock. The standard tupperware stock weighs about 2 1/4 lbs. The best Kevlar/hybrid custom stocks can be as little as 16 oz. finished with a pad and swivels. Some guys claim 12-14 oz., but I've seen and weighed 'em and......16 oz. is the very lightest I've seen.

These stocks will run avg. of $500 installed, so you are talking $500 for say 20 oz. of savings vs. $300-$400 for 6 oz. when dealing with metal work.

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the titanium action weighs, but when I built my lightweight, I used the Rem 600 action. Lightest regular caliber action I know of. Chambered it in 284 Win. Synthetic stock and sling, lightweight mounts and rings, leupold V II 2-7. It's a very light rifle. 6 lbs. 4 oz. loaded up and ready to go. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hate Finn Light! [Mad]
Oops... [Embarrassed]
No. It's Bud lite that I hate! [Eek!]
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
The Finnlight should really be renamed the Finnmediumweight, since it�s not a truly lightweight rifle.