THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    New Mountain Rifle: Caliber Dilema
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mountain Rifle: Caliber Dilema
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
I have NEVER regretted chooseing a 700 Rem., chambered in 280 Rem. for my mountain rifle.

I've taken a pile of big game with it.

DM

I'll third that!

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiwiwildcat:
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
I have NEVER regretted chooseing a 700 Rem., chambered in 280 Rem. for my mountain rifle.

DM

I'll third that!

And I'll donate a fourth, though I know some would prefer a "fifth".

My .280 Rem is built on an FN Mauser with a Hart barrel. If I was to use a bolt action rifle for a Mountain hunting rig, the .280 would be all I could ask for or need. (I use single shot rifles most of the time, though....)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive got a sweet little 7X57 on a M-48 that makes a great mountian rifle. I also like my BLR for such things.

Posts: 10137 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a Remington 700 KS in 3006. Topped with a Leupold VXIII, 2.5-8x the gun weights 7-lbs even. Next week I am dropping the rig off with Karl Kampfield to have the metal Cerakoted. Can't friggin wait to get it back.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dugongberbulu:
Well, I guess my Rem 700 in 270 isn't going to be relegated to the back of the shelf just yet then... Its served me very well of the years. But, having been thinking of going up a bit to flatten out the longer ranges, as some of the Ibex require it based on where they're found.

Thanks all for your comments!

Now, how do I still get myself a new toy Smiler

For the longer ranges you can get a more efficient bullet. Try the TTSX 110 grain Barnes at 3450 fps. BC is .380 if I remember. If you sight in at 3" high for 100 yards it is only -10" low at 4 0 0 yards. That's a mountain cartridge. Penetration will be great and similar to a good 130 grain lead-core bullet.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.