THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Steel bottom metal on new Winchester M70's?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel bottom metal on new Winchester M70's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been reading postive reports of fit, finish, and accuracy of the new/current manufacture (FN/So Carolina) Winchester model 70 rifles.

Does anyone know if the SHORT action model 70 versions come with blued steel bottom metal, or is it aluminum?

Are the current/new/FN-SC long action model 70's bottom metal steel or aluminum?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a South Carolina-made Super Grade Model 70 .30/06. It has all-steel, one-piece bottom metal. I just checked it with a magnet about 2 minutes ago.
The fit and finish of this rifle is very nice, as good or better than anything USRAC turned out, except for the custom shop guns.
It took me a while to get used to the new trigger. It's heavier than other Model 70s but it is crisp.
When I first got the rifle the accuracy wasn't what I expected so I put a pad of bedding material out near the tip of the barrel channel and that seems to have cured things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer steel over alum BUT alum can be pretty damn good IF it billet. I replaced a bent cheap alum bottom metal on a Rem 700 long action with the Pacific Tool billet alum. Excellent piece of equipment.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new FW in 7mm-08, it's steel. Fit & finish is excellent. Accuracy is terrific as well. First loads I worked up shot around .5" with two different bullets (120 NBT & 160 Deepcurl).

Here is mine

160 Deepcurl

120 NBT

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure the configurations on which models use lightweight alloy and which use steel; but, SC/FN replaced Williams with PTG to make the 1-piece bottom metal on the SC/FN M70s. I have examples of both Williams units and PTG units, and they interchange, the PTG looks like an exact copy of Williams. PTG machines their light alloy units from 7075-T6. I used one of these units in a semi-custom lightweight M-70 chambered in 416 Remington and it works as well as the 1-pc steel unit other than being much lighter.

Best Smiler

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have a new FN SC Safari M70 in .375 H&H and it is metal. Overall fit and finish is excellent and the trigger is great. I really appreciate them putting a real recoil pad on it.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote