The Accurate Reloading Forums
Steel bottom metal on new Winchester M70's?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/2711039751

26 June 2011, 10:29
nugman
Steel bottom metal on new Winchester M70's?
I've been reading postive reports of fit, finish, and accuracy of the new/current manufacture (FN/So Carolina) Winchester model 70 rifles.

Does anyone know if the SHORT action model 70 versions come with blued steel bottom metal, or is it aluminum?

Are the current/new/FN-SC long action model 70's bottom metal steel or aluminum?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.
26 June 2011, 15:47
Sonic
I have a South Carolina-made Super Grade Model 70 .30/06. It has all-steel, one-piece bottom metal. I just checked it with a magnet about 2 minutes ago.
The fit and finish of this rifle is very nice, as good or better than anything USRAC turned out, except for the custom shop guns.
It took me a while to get used to the new trigger. It's heavier than other Model 70s but it is crisp.
When I first got the rifle the accuracy wasn't what I expected so I put a pad of bedding material out near the tip of the barrel channel and that seems to have cured things.
26 June 2011, 17:19
BISCUT
I prefer steel over alum BUT alum can be pretty damn good IF it billet. I replaced a bent cheap alum bottom metal on a Rem 700 long action with the Pacific Tool billet alum. Excellent piece of equipment.
26 June 2011, 19:56
scottfromdallas
I just bought a new FW in 7mm-08, it's steel. Fit & finish is excellent. Accuracy is terrific as well. First loads I worked up shot around .5" with two different bullets (120 NBT & 160 Deepcurl).

Here is mine

160 Deepcurl

120 NBT

26 June 2011, 20:23
GaryVA
Not sure the configurations on which models use lightweight alloy and which use steel; but, SC/FN replaced Williams with PTG to make the 1-piece bottom metal on the SC/FN M70s. I have examples of both Williams units and PTG units, and they interchange, the PTG looks like an exact copy of Williams. PTG machines their light alloy units from 7075-T6. I used one of these units in a semi-custom lightweight M-70 chambered in 416 Remington and it works as well as the 1-pc steel unit other than being much lighter.

Best Smiler
28 June 2011, 20:00
SFRanger7GP
I have a new FN SC Safari M70 in .375 H&H and it is metal. Overall fit and finish is excellent and the trigger is great. I really appreciate them putting a real recoil pad on it.