New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recipe for 300 wsm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been reloading for my 300 wsm for two years, worked up the perfect load, and did not look to the future when powder was going to be hard to find...so now here I sit down to the last couple of pounds of R19 and it is no longer to be found. I have done the research and found the IMR 4831 is next to R19 in the burn rate. I'm starting on working up a new recipe and was wondering if someone might be willing to share the magic numbers. I'm loading Barnes Triple Shock 180g. Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance. I'm also interested in hearing any other powders being used in the 300 wsm pushing 180g bullets. I've already weeded out IMR4350 and R17.

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner uses Magpro with a Nosler 180gr. Accubond. I have used IMR 7828ssc with a 200gr, Nosler Accubond.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using H4350 for 165s and 180s. Holds sub MOA out to 500 yards with either.

One thing I've noticed is my rifle stubborningly wont take charges higher than starting loads in most manuals, but the speed is there.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that the imr 4350 creates too much pressure in the chamber. Even starting at the minimum load its showing pressure signs around the primer and case itself. Is there a big difference between H and IMR 4350...I haven't used H4350 in any loads. Has anyone tried Hunter, I'd read that it is a good choice for the 300wsm as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wdagel, I cannot speak for Hunter and 180s, but I will say that I loaded Speer 165-grain Grand Slams in a buddy's Tikka 300 WSM. I used Data 85, which Western Powder says may be used with Ramshot Hunter data, Federal 215s, and Winchester brass.

One grain below max and the GS seated to the cannelure shot half inch groups out of his Tikka. He was pretty happy...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the helpful info...now i get to do the fun stuff, working up the load and heading to the range...tough job but I guess I'll HAVE to do it!
Thanks again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've worked up a good load for the Berger 168 with Hybrid 100V, but it may be just a bit fast for the top velocities with 180s. Good powder though, and seems to be nearly always available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 17, Win case, WLRM primer and a Barnes 150 TTSX moving at 3200+ fps. It works for me and it's a sexy looking little pill.
Bagged game includes a Dall sheep, caribou and countless deer.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wdagel:
I did not look to the future when powder was going to be hard to find...so now here I sit down to the last couple of pounds of R19 and it is no longer to be found.

Just FYI, I bought 2 more lbs. of RL 19 at a Cabela's about a month ago and they show it as in stock on their web site. $31.99/lb.

Posts: 450 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of variation in 300 WSM.Some rifles seem to have a little more freebore than others.The one I have doesn't have much if any.Most book loads are too hot for mine,but I'm getting higher velocities at a lower charges.I've alway loaded 165gr bullets in mine and always started low and worked my way up.With 165gr bullets the loads that were near max and gave me the best groups were:
64.5grs Win. 760 (3125fps)
65.0grs IMR 4350 (3015fps)
69.0grs Reloader-22 (3030fps)
64.0grs of Reloader 17 (3150fps)
67.0grs of Ramshot Hunter (3080fps)

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote