THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Did something dumb and dangerous today

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did something dumb and dangerous today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I fired a .280 Rem round in my .300 win mag while testing loads for both.
Got some blow back in my face, no damage to me.

Question - did I damage my action in the .300 win mag? Gun was a model 70 crf.

Color me stupid, but I learned a seriously valuable lesson on testing various rounds together.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the case rupture or did the primer blow out ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The case ruptured. The primer did not blow out.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the chamber for gas cutting. It might have some, it just depends on the type of rupture.

As for set back, doubt it - did the bullet exit the barrel OK ?

As for bulges - in chamber or barrel - did you fire any more 300WM rounds
after the incident ?

How did it go ?

Were the cases the same as those prior ?

Just some things to look at.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet exited the barrel with not apparent issues.

I did not see any bulges.

I did not fire it again for fear of a crack somewhere or a problem.

I am planning to get the gun to my gunsmith tomorrow for a look over.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
have him inspect it, you'll feel better...

not like you fired a 358win in a 7remmag ...

have him clean the chamber, AFTER he makes an indicator mark on it.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a guy shoot a 270 Win. out of a 300 Win Mag last year at the range,not on purpose,by accident like you.Case ruptured,he got a little blow back in the face and other than that,everything was OK afterwards.Saw another guy once complain how the necks of his 300 Win Mag cartridges were blowing off each round he fired and he could not fine the missing pieces.Upon further inspection,he found he was shooting 7mags in his 300 Win Mag by once again,mistake.Didn't hurt the rifle,just embarrassed him a little.It pays to be careful around guns and ammo,next time they may not be so lucky.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear that you are okay. Sure that the rifle will be as well.

This can happen so easily.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Fired a 270 Win out of my 7mm RM once on accident. Case didnt rupture and the primer didnt back out, but I had to push the case out with a cleaning rod. Didnt harm my rifle, but scared me that I made such a mistake. I keep the swelled up case on my reloading bench as a reminder now.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Pull your bolt and inspect the chamber, youll see right away if there's some amiss, load a 300 Mag round to see if it chambers w/o issue and fire it.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Gunsmiths may correct me but you should not have any damage. You fired what would be considered a low pressure load when the case ruptured and filled the larger chamber and excess gasses blew down the bore around the undersized bullet. The only problem might be pieces of brass stuck to the chamber walls. Nothing a good cleaning won't fix.
While scary and embarrassing, it should not do any damage.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that all you need to do is clean and inspect the bolt,chamber.
Did the stock come thru unscathed?
If this happened in a Ruger the floor plate and stock would have sustained some damage.
Glad you were not hurt.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
About two weeks ago, I was at the range looking around for brass. I noticed some odd looking brass laying around. It was 308 brass, but the neck was blown out straight, and the base was swelled beyond normal case diameter. Basically it was fat straight walled 308 brass obvioulsy shot in a chamber bigger than 308. Since there were several of them, apparantly nothing bad happened at least for a few rounds. There are a lot of young guys frequenting the range these days, bringing stuff to shoot at such as old computer monitors, TVs, and other junk, and they blast it to pieces, and leave it for others to clean up. I figure it was one of them showing off. Who knows, but frequently strange things happen when idiots are involved with things that go bang. It's ironic what an idiot can get away with, doing something like that intentionally, with no harm.

It's easier for me to see how it could happen by mistake, but to do it intentionally is just strange.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a more frequent mishap than some might assume, but it is one that is generally more dangerous to the shooter than to the firearm.

The undersized case will rupture, but the chamber pressure is a fraction of that generated by firing the proper ammunition. Since the brass case is too small to seal the chamber, the relatively low pressure (but still in the thousands of PSI) gas will take whatever the route of least resistance out of the chamber. This is partially down the bore, partially out the chamber vent (if present), and partially back through the action, the firing pin hole, or down the bolt raceways. You can get a face full of gas and possibly splinters of brass case, but unless the gas blows the magazine floorplate, dislodges the extractor, or something of that nature, the gun itself will suffer no damage. I've never seen or heard of "gas cutting" of the chamber or bolt face from such a mishap.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gas Cutting is when gas escapes from a ruptured case in the chamber, in a very small area and as such cuts into the steel of the chamber.

You see it more on Double Rifle's where you get more case ruptures / head separations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took the gun to the gunsmith. He said he did not expect any problems but would look it over and shoot to be sure all was well.

Thanks for the help.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
About two weeks ago, I was at the range looking around for brass. I noticed some odd looking brass laying around. It was 308 brass, but the neck was blown out straight, and the base was swelled beyond normal case diameter. Basically it was fat straight walled 308 brass obvioulsy shot in a chamber bigger than 308. Since there were several of them, apparantly nothing bad happened at least for a few rounds. There are a lot of young guys frequenting the range these days, bringing stuff to shoot at such as old computer monitors, TVs, and other junk, and they blast it to pieces, and leave it for others to clean up. I figure it was one of them showing off. Who knows, but frequently strange things happen when idiots are involved with things that go bang. It's ironic what an idiot can get away with, doing something like that intentionally, with no harm.

It's easier for me to see how it could happen by mistake, but to do it intentionally is just strange.

KB

I've seen 308s fired in 270 Win guns that do that. The 308 case headspaces on the bullet gettng jammed into the 270 chamer's throat. the bullets actually swedge down and exit the barrel.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Gas Cutting is when gas escapes from a ruptured case in the chamber, in a very small area and as such cuts into the steel of the chamber.

You see it more on Double Rifle's where you get more case ruptures / head separations.

\
perhaps, but i don't believe in it .. why?
thats pretty easy .. the 500 SW doesn't gas cut the frame at the cyl gap.... but will cut off a finger tip ... and that's about 40% higher pressure than a double round.

as i said, it might hapen.. but i've never seen it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll show you a few Doubles with it.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
KB[/QUOTE]
I've seen 308s fired in 270 Win guns that do that. The 308 case headspaces on the bullet gettng jammed into the 270 chamer's throat. the bullets actually swedge down and exit the barrel.[/QUOTE]

I've seen a Brno 25'06 that fired a 308. The pressures were so high that the action and bolt were cracked in many places and the shooter probably got gas on his face. The gunsmith said that the barrel was fine!

I read an article by Ross Seyfried with photos of a 270 Weatherby Mag which had fired a 7mm round by mistake. The bullet had riveted at the throat and the lead core had swagged out! The photo of the sectioned chamber & throat were real cool!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote