Notify
Tools

Hornady 9.3 286gr Interlock...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
works on deer Big Grin

And we all knew it would but it gave me an excuse to post a picture of my deer. Wink

Just a sample of one so how did you guys using the 9.3x74r with Hornady ammo do so far?

9.3x62 using Varget moving at around 2,400 fps. The Hornady bullet is very accurate and at 120 yards punched through the deer with a .366 entry and 1 1/2" exit.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice deer. My brother shot one with my 9.3x62 using the Sellier & Bellot 285 gr. SP. Same story, caliber entry and 2" exit. Very little meat damage though, except for the missing top 1/2 of the heart and aorta.

I used a 416 Rigby which, surprisingly, also worked quite well on a large whitetail. I had my doubts... Wink

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Very little meat damage, but the heart was blown into the shape of a tulip. No sign of the Hornady Interlock performing like anything but a good little cup and core bullet.

The more I shoot my 9.3 the less I think I need any other rifle. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Great lookin' deer. Congrats! You've had a good year.

Question ... You know that Noslers and Woodleighs work well ... are you foolin' with Hornady's simply because they are less expensive?

(Asking because you seem to work back to them in everything you shoot. Just curious.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'd used the Nosler and Barnes X on game so far with great results. Didn't get as good accuracy from the Speer and you'd questioned how well they worked on game.

Decided to try the Hornady out and accuracy is as good or better than the NP or X. Shot into a row of gallon water jugs and the bullet held up very well.

Costs less, works well and I think we need to support Hornady for bringing out some neat classic cartridges and bullets (but I choose to remain dubious on some of the new cartridges).

beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Just curious. I was kinda soured on the Interlock in general because the first ones I tried were 225 grainers in .338 and my M70 .338 WM with the Krieger bbl wouldn't shoot them for shit. We'll see if the 338-06 will shoot the damn things (whenever it finally gets blued).

BTW got the 60 gr NPT to shoot pretty well in the AR. Finally have a bullet I trust for deer in .223 Rem ... and nothing to shoot with it. Been a poor year (for the third in a row).

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:

BTW got the 60 gr NPT to shoot pretty well in the AR. Finally have a bullet I trust for deer in .223 Rem ... and nothing to shoot with it. Been a poor year (for the third in a row).

In case you didn't all ready know, Nosler is having a Christmas sale and the 60 Patition 2nds are going for $6.95/50.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/index.php?p=11&b=8&s=320

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Thanks, had not checked recently ... just ordered some more! Good to have some in stock.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
I just decided to replace my 35 Whelen with a 9,3. Nice to know it does little meat damage.

But Rick, I have to thank you for the pic. I copied it and sent it to my sister with no caption or anything. Just the pic. She sent back a reply, "How did you ever get Dad to hunt with you?" See, I drive a white Toyota PreRunner and you look like our late father who never cared for me and my brother-in-law's hunting. Great father to us, but just not a hunter at all. So now your pic is on their deep freeze in the garage--which contains Bill's deer and elk meat. Good thing Dad had a sense of humor.

Ted

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Rick and I are friends and hunted Africa together in 2004 ... we both took 9,3x62s. (He took a .405 and I took a .416 Rigby as spare guns.) Between us I think we took 3 Impala, a wildebeast, two warthogs, a kudu, and a zebra with the 9,3x62s.

We have both had wonderful success with the caliber. Typically though, I use 286 gr NPTs as he had in the past.

In October I took a spike in the Texas Hill Country on a management hunt. I had the same experience with the DRT deer with little meat damage. Much prefer the 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R to the .270 for meat going to the freezer!

You'll enjoy it!

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Ted,
Glad your family got a chuckle. Your father was apparently a handsome gent and raised a son with the good sense to drive a Toyota and to consider hunting with the 9,3. Smiler

Mike and I have had great luck with our 9,3 rifles. Mine will be in use for a long long time...

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Rick,

Just curious. I was kinda soured on the Interlock in general because the first ones I tried were 225 grainers in .338 and my M70 .338 WM with the Krieger bbl wouldn't shoot them for shit. We'll see if the 338-06 will shoot the damn things (whenever it finally gets blued).

Mike:

I shoot a lot of plain old Hornady Interlocks in a whole bunch of different calibers. They have all been accurate and worked well for me, especially in my 7mm Rem. Mag. However, I had a .338 Win. Mag. at one time and I couldn't get them to shoot in it either. Never could figure that gun out. I thought it was the gun and not the bullets but maybe I had it wrong.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I have not been able to figure that one out. Interestingly, the rifle shoots 225 gr Barnes X's like a banshee.

It is a pre-64 M70 fitted with a 24" MagnaPorted Krieger cut rifled barrel in a McMillan stock. Wears a 3-9x40 MC Zeiss Conquest. Last trip to Wyoming I got off the plane, checked into the Motel 6 in Jackson Hole and went to the range. The rifle shot a 3 round 2" group on center of the freshly painted 300 yard gong. I went hunting with it!

Will try the 225 Hornady projectiles in the 338-06 waiting a blue job. It is a less than 8 pound rifle built on a commercial FN Mauser action fitted with a 22" Douglas barrel. Should be a great little woods rifle. It wears a 1.8-5.5 Zeiss Conquest.

BTW: Rick introduced me to the 9,3x62 ... and I have been very, very pleased with the caliber. So much so that I built another one on a VZ.24.

Mike

--------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 or any of the 9.3s are an extremely balanced caliber..They just work well on about anything under about any circumstances..I have hunted elk and mule deer with them, and all plainsgame and buffalo with them, and never had a problem, although I don't recommend them for Dangerous Game and yes I know they work well enough, but I personally like more gun for DG and recommend that to my clients.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

with my pitifully small experience I probably like more gun for DG than you do ... thinking that the .416 calibers are really what everyone suggests the .375 H&H to be. Just more thump there.

Doesn't lessen the goodness of the 9,3s in the right application.

Mike

--------------