New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rifle Stock Advise Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a Remington 700 LSS chambered in .300 Rem Ultra Mag. For those who haven't seen this (discontinued) rifle, it's a stainless rifle with a gray laminated stock. The rifle is much more attractive in the "flesh" than expected. It is in the eyes of this hunter, darn handsome! One problem, however, is that the stock is highly reflective. Remington finished the stock with a fairly heavy polyeurathane finish. Now to my question -
I'm considering a light rub with a high-grit carbide paper to reduce the shine. Can anyone offer any advise? - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had to try anything, I'd try some steel wool at first..

Check with someone who refinished furniture and see if you can go down to walmart and get some Dull polyurethane and apply it over the gloss finish, without having to strip it...

Yeah that would be too shiney for my tastes...

Another cheap route is to just order a stock out of Boyd's Gunstock Industries for $65.00, and refinish it in a dull finish in a grey laminate, so you will have a 2 stocks.... one for the field and one for show.... thumb

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel wool (0000) will knock down the shine, as will sandpaper. Use wet or dry sandpaper and use it wet, or the poly dust will clog the grit pretty fast. I would try the steel wool first, then the paper, if needed.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi EB:

I have that exact rifle. I even like the glossy stock... the SOB is as tough as nails... literally.... took this rifle to Montana, Colorado, and Africa twice... It is my GO TO rifle, shoots factory Rem Nosler 180 & 200 grain sub MOA, same point of aim.... Great,... Great.... rifle IMHO.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd put a Hogue Over Molded stock on it for $100.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The caliber may be a little rough to lighten it up with a Hogue but you can send it to Trebark for a camo job that rocks!
http://www.camoent.com/

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
0000 steel wool & a little elbow grease will do just fine.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
The OOOO is the way to go. You will just be putting little micro scratches in the stock so that it will absorb more light and reflect less. The Remington protective poly finish will still be 90%+ intact. I have done this on at least three rifles and it works very well. The finish changes from a glossy to more of a satain type finish.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 0000 steel wool is the way ti go. Just use a light touch and be careful on the sharp edges.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote