New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 mm - 06 ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can any of you guys give me any feed back on the 8mm-06? I bought one this past winter and am just now starting to play with it. I shot a few rounds through it with some 4895. With iron sights it is pretty acurate, but I hate to tap the reciever and mess up the lines. This looks to be a custom rifle put together in the late 50's to early 60's. The action is a VZ24.
Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have owned a 8 x 64 which is a kindred spirit to your 8mm 06. It shot well and if memory serves me I used IMR 4350 with some pretty good results

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The 8X57mm Mauser is a great cartridge, and the 8mm/'06 is better. It can be loaded to equal the power of factory .300 H&H magnum ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JSH I have an 8mm-06 and would recommend it to anyone.My rifle shoots the 175 gr Sierra with a max load of 65 gr W760 very accurately. This is safe in my rifle but work up carefully from 59 or 60 grs. If you want more bullet the 200 Speer or the 200 gr partion are both very good. The 185 gr Rem bullet is also good. Work up a load & hunt with it, you won't be sorry.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JSH--I have used both the standard 8mm-06 and the Ackley improved version. With 150g bullets IMR3031 did very well. The 175g Sierra likes Varget,Reloader 15, 4895 and 4320 in my guns and for the 200g bullets IMR 4831 was by far the best powder. You can have the power of a 300 magnum without the recoil and also with larger frontal area of the 8mm bore. I did a lot of load workup and corresponded with Col. Charles Askins many times before he died. He hunted nearly everything in Africa with 8MM wildcats from the 8mm-06 thru the 8mm-378 Weatherby using the 175g Sierra and 200g partition bullets and had no problem with any animal,including hippo. His two favorites were the 8mm-06 and the 8mm-340 Weatherby. He also wrote to me saying the 8mm-06 was probably the best of the lot. In case you are not familiar with him, he was a gun writer for several magazines like Petersen's Hunting and the two NRA publications.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have talked to a few gent's around my area abot the 8mm06. They all gave me the impression it was the poor mans 338 when they were first introduced. One freind of mine says he has shot everyting from moose to small brown bear in the 50's and 60's. This is one of the more shall we say freindly wildcats I have worked with.
Thanks again.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call it what you like, I call it baby steps to wildcating. It is probably the least expesive way to get into a costly adventure.

I actually like the 8mm, I have been looking into a wild cat of my own using a combo of greatness.

Getting a bid on a reamer as we speak...
Let me know if you would like to hear more.

Later... Scout..

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi jsh. My 8mm-06 is the Ackley version, and I think it's a great cartridge. Probably as close to the mythical "all around rifle" as you can get. If you want some load data, email me and I'll send it to you. There is also lot's of good info here and at steve's pages. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote