THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Anyone make flat point solids for .300 ultra mag?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone make flat point solids for .300 ultra mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone make flat point solids for .300 ultra mag? The heavier the better for large game. I do reload so it does not have to be loaded ammo could just be the bullet.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh makes the new hydro statically stabilised solids with a flat meplat. They are available in 150 and 180 grain.

http://www.woodleighbullets.co...tatically-stabilised

Posts: 9 | Location: Al | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do they cycle ok?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should do. You will have to try some.

I think they come with a black plastic tip
now to assist with feeding. Tip doesn't
affect terminal performance.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Steel,
I have to ask. What the heck are you going to shoot with solids from your RUM? bewildered

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe water buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of old BArnes (non banded) 308 solids...220 gr...if you are handy with a lathe you could turn the ends flat, I suppose...

posted Hide Post
I have never tried them so I can't say. The only solids I have shot were the 168 gr Barnes banded. They cycled very well. The Woodleighs are new and supposed to work very well. Woogleigh is developing a stainless steel tipped version of these as well. Not out yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Cutting Edge Bullets Raptor line I think they might have what your looking for.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wiuld the stainless steel version aid in penetration?

posted Hide Post
quote:
wiuld the stainless steel version aid in penetration?

I would think so. The steel would flatten out less on impact than the brass or bronze that these are made of.

One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Frontier game ranger bullets, they arent solids but cmj, thick complete metal jacket around a lead core, and flat point. I think they have 150, 168, 220, & 260 gr in .308 dia.

I havent used any on game and cant speak to the performance but they may be a possible option for you.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nilgi:
Take a look at Cutting Edge Bullets Raptor line I think they might have what your looking for.

In these first tests they did not have a name yet, a few weeks later they were named Raptors.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now made in the USA.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/03fn.html

I do not think you will need an FN or any other solid, for that matter. Eland is somewhat bigger than water buffalo and we have many instances where they were killed with HV bullets.

http://www.gscustomusa.com/products.html

To contact the Australian distributor, contact:
http://www.gscustom.co.nz/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
North Fork makes a 200gr FPS as per their latest brochure.

As I sell North Fork in South Africa I'm undesrandably biased, but I'm not aware of others.

I agree with Gerard that a solid is not needed for Eland. But I would also prefer something bigger than a 30 Cal., but others disagree.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I'm not aware of others

GSC has been manufacturing them them since 1997. IIRC NF started making FN solids in 2002?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not aware that GSC produced FN solids in calibers other than the big bores. There you go Steel, another alternative for you if you decide to go with a solid in your RUM.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote