New
Find
Notify
Tools

EAA Brno 98
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
If Brno does not have a importer to the U.S. then where is EAA getting there Black Syn Stock rifles that they are calling Brno 98s? Has anyone seen one of these in real life? If so hat is your impression of them??

one of us
posted Hide Post
EAA IS Brno's importer.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gator gun shop here in town has one in 30-06. I think he is asking $280.00 for it. As for the action it looks like a98 action. he even took it apart for me to see the box magazine. I am no expert but it looks and feels like the real thing. The only problems that I have with it is the stock( it has a cheap feel to it) and the bolt handle is just bent down in a not so neat manner. Looks like some one took a torch to it and bent it. Other than that it is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I can't recall how the safety is set-up. He claims to have sold a few and says that everyone has been pleased so far. I haven't caught him in a lie yet and I have given him plenty of opportunity to do so.

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .270. BRNO is definitely recycling parts as the bolt face shows gas cutting from use. The stock is an off the shelf Butler Creek. The charger hump is removed and the action will accomodate two piece bases. The bolt handle is nasty, simply bent straight over with a dish ground out that may clear a high mounted scope. The safety is the traditional Mauser 3 position, no provision for scope clearance.

I can't tell you how it shoots as I haven't shot it. I bought this one out of simple curiousity. As shown in the pic below, I have replaced the bolt and installed a low safety. It would still be a decent low-cost hunter.

-

Sam B.
http://www.fireflyarms.com

[ 10-01-2002, 07:15: Message edited by: SamB ]

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a bit rough, isn't it? A CZ might be a better buy.....

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EAA is importing economy grade rifles made specifically for the American market. They are not even listed on Brno's website. EAA is not importing Brno's premium rifles, which retail for $500 to $2,500 depending on features. Quality is on par with the current CZ models, except that the Brno rifles are pure model 98's. They are made for the European market and only find their way into the states as individual imports.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
Thats what I thought. I looked at Brno web site and the pics of their 98 rifles makes me want one. I already have a CZ550 but would like to have one of those premo Brno 98s. Does anyone if they will be importing to the U.S. anytime soon. If not haow is it possible forme to get one?? Price is nottoo much of a concern.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paleohunter
Check your e-mail. I sent you some info the Brno 98's.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
The EAA Brnos are crudely remodeled VZ-24 military actions that were pretty beat up to begin with.

"Brno" is the name of the town where the arsenal and commercial arms factory is located. "BRNO" is not a rifle, model of rifle, or specific factory.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I just saw (today) a similar rifle, marked Kimber (yes, I know who they are) on the VZ 24 action. Chambered for the .338 Win Mag. What think ye?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Yep, Kimber did a bunch of these a couple of years ago but only for about a year. Most that I saw in Houston were in 6.5x55 or .270 although they supposedly did other calibers. The ones I saw were refinished military looking Mausers with new barrel and a cheap synthetic stock, they sold "new" here for about $299.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam B,

I would be interested in seeing what Gas Cuts look like if yourself or anyone else has a pic of one on a bolt face could the please send it to me.

Thanks Heaps PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
When I bought the Brno m98 in 7x57 for my wife four years ago the importer was Euro-Imports out of El Cajon CA. I have kept up a correspondence with him and about a year ago I aksed if he had any 9.3x62's left. Interesting reply.
Some folks had bought the Brno plant and had systematically sold off all the assets. At that time I saw on their site they had two wholesalers and this one importer, now they have none.
The rifle my wife has is a very nice rifle indeed. They must be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought my wife a 270 brno98 this summer, accurate enough. Worst complaint is the trigger has a lot of creep and the hard pull. Don't care for the wing type safety either hard to use. all in all a fair gun for the money.

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote