Notify
Tools

Help ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
Guys ,
I have the chance to buy a 300 H&H that was built on an enfield action.
Was checked by competant Gunsmith and passed with flying colors.
Does anyone have any exp. with one of these ?
fwiw I can aquire said rifle for under $500 is it a good investment ? I dont recall seeing many for sale and even less on an enfield action.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy it if you want it and you think the price is reasonable. I have a .300 H&H on 1917 Enfield action I paid $99 plus tax for. It will cost me more than $500 to finish it. So if most of the work is done already then I'd say it is a pretty good deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 300 RUM and the 300 Win Both are highly accurate.But no 300H&H. Good luck with yours.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
what does it look like? if it is nice the price looks real good

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have one in the classifieds here for sale for more money 300 win with leupold scope and other stuff for you to compair to.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/1721036011

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
rifle seems good to go , no cracks in stock etc. might need some tuning by my smith.
Kinda fell in my lap and since I like calibers that say Africa ,guess I'll go for it.
Thanks for the input.

EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAD A 1917 ENFIELD RECHAMBERED 300 WIN MAG SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I HAD ALL THE USUAL WORK DONE, REAR SITE EARS MILLED OFF, BOLT STRAIGHTNED, FLOO PLATE STRAIGHTNED, AHD RE STOCKED. IT WAS A NICE RIFLE AND SHOT WELL.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:
I have the 300 RUM and the 300 Win Both are highly accurate.But no 300H&H. Good luck with yours.

I think your advice must be based on limited experience, or perhaps heresay. There is nothing about the .300 H&H which makes it inherently less accurate than the other .30 magnums, in fact, the reverse may be true to a limited degree.

It was the winning of an early long-range match by the .300 H&H that gave it its start in the U.S. Winchester Model 70 target rifles were extremely popular and sought after in this caliber.

I only have actual shooting experience with two .300 H&H rifles -- a Browning Safari years ago and a Sako that I currently own. All I can tell you is that both shot/shoot better groups than any of the .300 Winchesters or other .30 magnums I have owned.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
It is now mine and at my smith getting some custom work done. The bore and action according to him are absolutely fantastic. The wood is great and the original retooler di a very nice job all way around ,except he never took off the 303 markings.
putting in new trigger,k-cote bbld action in a flat black and jewel bolt and extractor, plus bedding and a muzzle brake (just in case wife wants to shoot it). Merry Christmas to me !
yippee ! will post pics of her when done.

EJ Carter 2011