New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Ackley Magnum
 Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
Anyone have one of these? There are a couple of old mauser action rifles at the local shop chambered for this. I have read a little about them but I don't have the case dimensions. I understand it's a shortened and improved 375HH case necked down?
Regards,
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, think 270 Weatherby with normal shoulders. That will pretty much give you the idea. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<franklin>
posted
Terry ,
A friend of mine has one built by PO Ackley himself(it's stamped on the barrel).A speciality book we looked it up in said the parent case was a 7mm Magnum. Then a gunsmith said it was built on a 300 Weatherby Magnum. The guy who gave him the gun also said that it 's parent case was the Weatherby. We're waiting for the smith to get us the load info so we can load for it . He has the die to resize the brass.It came with the gun.
Were any of the one's you saw bearing the PO Ackley stamp on the barrel? How much were they going for?
Thanks

<Terry P>
posted
Franklin,
Yes, the 2 rifles I saw were built by PO Ackley. I forgot who made the stocks but he was a well known stock maker at the time. One of the actions was a FN and the other was an Obendorf action. The stocks were Weatherby style monte carlo. The one rifle had a ramp front sight but no rear sight. Maybe something was made to fit the rings for the rear sight. The front sight seemed high.
Interesting rifles. The old guy I talked to worked with or knew Parker Ackley. He sold one rifle but still had the one with the Obendorf action for sale. I think he wanted $695. This is at The Gun Room in Llano, Tx. He was quite funny (the old gentleman at the gun shop). He said that Ackley didn't want to be bothered with facts when he had his mind made up. Said he had his own way of doing things.
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 Ackley Mag is based on the 264 Win Mag, and the 7MM Rem Mag. You can form the round from either cartridge. I once bought a bag of 264 Win. Mag. brass at a gunshow, there was a 270 Mag case in the bag that was formed from a 264. I have often thought about rebarreling my 264 to 270 Ackley Mag, when it finally dies of course.

Big 17

[This message has been edited by Big 17 (edited 04-22-2002).]

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote