New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 wsm AI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone have any info on the 300 wsm ackley?

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Good grief. That cartridge already has a 35 degree shoulder. Let it be.

Here is an idea for you. Cut a RUM back to standard action length (3.3 COL) and make up some different calibers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don interesting idea.Any ideas on how to go about it?What do you think I could get out if it?Insn't that about what Remington did with their short action ultra mag?

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
300 WM = 300 WSM "AI"

It ain't algebra, but I think it's correct!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don has got the right idea , which is what Remington should have done with the ultra mag line in the first place . A 3.3 inch cartridge would likely run right with a 300 Weatherby and be more efficient than the 300 UM . And it could be chambered in any run of the mill 06 length action .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
SD, course I agree, the UM's are "too much of a good thing" for most... from day-one, I've said they should have done what Don suggests, or adopt the mid-length Dakota rounds.

Maybe Olin/USRAC will "see the light" and do it... they'll then "own" the entire beltless-magnum market!

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elim,

Instead of moving the WSM shoulder from 35� to 40�, have you thought about considering minimizing the body taper from base to the shoulder?

I can't for the life of me remember what the dim is at the shoulder, but I'm thinking .52xx" or something like that.

Move that dim to .545" and you could pick up some extra capacity. Also, perhaps shorten the neck to .250" like a Gibbs cartridge.

Hmmmm . . . . I'll have to plug that into the RCBS program and see what happens.

Probably something like the 300 Jamison.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

[This message has been edited by PAWildcatter (edited 04-15-2002).]

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned with extraction if you try to reduce body taper more than it already is.

[This message has been edited by DanD (edited 04-15-2002).]

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is already a cut back RUM. Don Allen has been making his Dakota line of cartridges for a few years. They are based on the .404 Jeffrey with .545 base. My 7mm Dakota is on a standard Ruger long action. I have started using RUM brass to form into Dakota brass. Case length is 2.5". OAL is 3.35 with 140gr Barnes X. As for the larger bolt face- my rifle has a claw extractor and has no trouble with the .532 base even though it was set up for .545. That aside, I picked up a new extractor for the .532 bolt face and will use it when my supply of .545 base cases are gone. The Dakota rounds are great,IMO. They beat the Weatherby and are on the heels of the RUM, even though they are shorter. With 140gr bullets in the 7mm Dakota, 3450fps is no problem with my 26" barrel. I have gone upwards of 3550fps, however one lot of my brass shows ejector marks, so I am backing back to 3450. If anyone has a standard length action, I don't think you can beat the Dakota line.

Posts: 25 | Location: MI USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Acy , did you use a wider magazine on your Ruger ? In playing with a M-70 and some dummy UM rounds it seems the magazine is too narrow and the cartridges have a tendency to pop up prematurely when the bolt is operated .............

[This message has been edited by sdgunslinger (edited 04-17-2002).]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger- My gunsmith was able to widen the existing magazine to accomodate the larger round. He charged $35. He has done it twice for me(last time was a 300wsm). Feeding has been perfect from both rifles.

Posts: 25 | Location: MI USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
It's already in the improved form! Straight sides and sharp shoulder.