THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    UPDATE on the rare JP Sauer buit on a rare "transitional" Mauser 98 action

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE on the rare JP Sauer buit on a rare "transitional" Mauser 98 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
A mystery pre-war 30-06 JP Sauer came home today

I didn't know a lot about this one other than I like the way it looked.

I though it had a miss-matched Bolt, but found that number on the Action also.

I assume this is between the Wars, but not sure of year of mfg.

Here are the specs..

21" Octagon to Round Barrel, Full Matt Rib to Ramp Front Site w/ Silver Bead
Lyman 35 Rear Site - (orig rear site on rib is milled down)
7 lb 6 oz
14" LOP
Type B Floor Plate Lever
Double-Set Triggers
Barrel Rib marked "Mod Mauser: J.P. Sauer & Son"
Barrel side marked "30 U.S.G.1906"
Barrel shank marked "Fluid Steel Krupp Essen"
Barrel marked "Crown N STMG / 10G"
Action and Barrel marked "182644"
Action marked "44580"
All Bolt parts marked "80"
blank brass escutcheon on bottom of stock
Braided Sling

as always comments and opinions are welcome ....

UPDATE ... I FOUND AN IDENTICAL RIFLE HERE - SAME FRONT SITE AND LYMAN 35 SITE - https://www.gunsinternational....urce=lc&lctid=509172

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Photos

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its no mystery, they are absolutely one of the finest rifles ever made, rare in that they actually made the Mauser actions themselves with the permission of Mauser. They sell for $4000 to $6500, I keep score on their price as I have one in 30-06 and another in 8x57 both as new and all original. Only a precious few are original as they are drilled and tapped or triggers replaced, The Lyman 35 you have is original on them btw and the sight alone is worth a pretty penny at $350 to a much as $700 in one add. Ive seen them sell for as low as $3500 but in terrible condition or the seller was not aware of what he had in a couple of cases. All parts are serial numbered/,

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray,

thanks for the reply ..

I got this info from a pre-war Mauser expert on a German forum.

"...The barrel was proofed for the 10 gramm = 150 gr .30-06 load.
44580 is the Mauser, Oberndorf commercial serial number.
The position under the receiver shows the action only was intended for sale to another gunmaker, Sauer & Sohn here.
It dates the action to 1911.
The Sauer & Sohn serial number 182644 shows the rifle was completed, barreled and stocked in 1912.
The sling is a recent, post-WW2 addition...."

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, very cool rifle

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
Well, I got another JP Sauer today. This one is 8x57 caliber. I think it might be very, very, early. Its cock on close and there is a little finger that helps hold the bolt handle down. (see third picture from the end) This one has stamps and numbers all over the place - I have shown all that I found. I will be happy to hear from someone that knows what they all mean. The stock looks as old as the rifle but its not like the one on the 30-06. I have slugged the bore and its .318 dia. Here are all the photos of the rifle and the markings. Do you think I could find a scope with the required mounting for this rifle?

[image]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/SAUER8X57-000.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/8x57sauer-000.jpg[/image]

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Well, I got another JP Sauer today. This one is 8x57 caliber. I think this one might be an early one. It is cock on close and there is a little finger that helps hold the bolt handle down. (see third picture from the end) This one has stamps and numbers all over the place - I have shown all that I found. I will be happy to hear from someone that knows what they all mean. The stock looks as old as the rifle but its not like the one on the 30-06. I have slugged the bore and its .318 dia. Here are all the photos of the rifle and the markings. Do you think I could find a scope with the required mounting for this rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never seen one that was D&T from the factory and it devalues the gun for collector purposes, neither of mine are D&T, The 30-06 has a M-35 Lyman receiver sight, The 8x57 has one standing on the barrel and is a 323 bore..so later model than yours. Yours is a rare find I believe...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Turns out this second JP Sauer in 8x57 cal. is built on a rare "transitional" Mauser 98 action, and this rifle was used as a WWI sniper rifle, albeit missing the scope. I was told that finding a scope with early JP Sauer rings would be like "cracking the lottery jackpot".

Well, I didn't crack the lottery jackpot, but I did find a fellow in Texas that sold me his scope. He bought it years ago because he recognized the rings as rare early JP Sauer type. Unfortunately the scope has been abused with a cracked lens, and crooked cross-hairs, and it is so cloudy that you can't see through it. I am not sure it can be repaired, so I might just look for a different scope to put into the rings.

Perhaps someone can tell me something about the scope.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpi...7sauer-scope-000.jpg

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That scope certainly is a rare bird but having a cracked lens and wonky reticle wrecks its collector value. It may be possible to fix at the cost of several hundred dollars - but only to use, unless the repairs are undetectable.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote