Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rem Mag Followed me home.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

Well I was at my friendly gun shop today shipping my Sako Finnbear that I sold to a fellow AR member.

I was feeling that old remorse about getting rid of a rifle that I had for 25 years, when all of a sudden...I came accross a model 673 Remington 350 Magnum, that was just put in the case for sale. Now first off I am a sucker for a laminated stock. Second this rifle interested me ever since it came out a few years ago.

I just checked the ballistics and the 350 Rem Mag hits as hard as a 300 Win Mag with a 200 grain bullet @ about 2775 FPS... Hmmmm

Well the next thing I know, I am walking out of the gunshop and this damn rifle just followed me and jumped into my car. It even came with a 3X9 Leupold VariX-II.... Razzer

Anybody have any pratical experience with this rifle, in this caliber?

Regards... JIm P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
Yup. It's one of my favorites. Years ago I shot a 450 Lb. Russian Boar with an old Remington 600 in 350 Rem Mag. One shot from 75 yards and it was instantly dead. It was a friends rifle, and he wouldn't part with it. So when Remington introduced the 673 in 350 Rem Mag, I did not hesitate to pick one up. I use it for anything I want to hunt in North America. It is a powerful round that does its job as long as you do yours. Congrats on your new rifle. I think you'll love it.
Best regards, Starcharvski

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great caliber. I've got one of the Remington Model 700 Classics in it and will never let it go. Light and easy to carry and everything I've hit with it has gone all wobble legged and fell over.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brad & Mac:

I too played with an old Remington 600 when I was young in 308 caliber. It was my cousins and I liked that cool ventilated rib...LOL

I was at Cabelas last week and they had them USED in the gun racks next to the gun Library. Cabelas price was $649 & $659 used???. Cabelas always seems to be higher than the local gunshops and even Gander Mountain when it comes to guns.

Thanks for your input.

Regards Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA hunter,
I had a Rem Mod 7 from the custom shop in 350 REM Mag. It shot very well with 200 and 250 grain bullets to 200yards. I have shot deer and turkey with it. I took it on a black bear spot and stalk hunt, but did not get a shot.
I am a big fan of medium bore rifles and the 350 Mag is a very good one.
A good friend of mine likes 225 grain Nosler Partitions in his 350, they were not afound wheb I had mine.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I took a Remington Custom Shop .350 Mag to Africa for plains game. I used the 225 grain X-bullet at just under 2700 fps. Everything I shot with it died right then. I still have the rifle, albeit, with another barrel... strangely, the first barrel had a badly screwed chamber making the fired brass unusable... Still it shot thumbnail-sized groups. With the replacement barrel (at Remington's expense) is just barely a 1" gun. Go figure??

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the 700 Classics in 350 Rem. One to shoot, one to save. I like the 180 Grain Barnes X for deer in this chambering. Shoots flat, is accurate and hits hard.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about it if you reload is that
you can easily make brass from 338 Winchester if you can't find any 350 Rem brass. When I had mine I made up brass from 338 so that I could size the brass from the beginning to touch the chamber's shoulder. Just a tiny detail, but I had good results. I would like to see someone take a WSM or RSAUM case and commercialize a beltless 350 Rem Mag. No good reason for this, I would just like to see it. I was surprised that Remington didn't do it when it brough out the Model 673. If I had a
Model 673 the first thing I would do is strip the junk off the barrel. Its the first thing I do when I buy an older Model 600. Again, just
personal preference.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted Hide Post
I missed the boat on a 20% off inventory clearing sale on a 673 (have been pouting ever since). I'll find one sooner or later. Frowner

Posts: 4394 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TheebadOne - I don't know where you are located, but the Gander Mtn. store in Geneva, IL has one (new) in stock, or at least they did this past Sunday. Overall, I have found Gander Mtns. firearms prices to be more reasonable than Cabelas or Bass Pro. In any case, get one while you can.
Best, Starcharvski

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Starcevich:
TheebadOne - I don't know where you are located, but the Gander Mtn. store in Geneva, IL has one (new) in stock, or at least they did this past Sunday. Overall, I have found Gander Mtns. firearms prices to be more reasonable than Cabelas or Bass Pro. In any case, get one while you can.
Best, Starcharvski

Thanks

Posts: 4394 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

I haven't decided wheather I am going to hanldoad for it or not. I guess it will depend on how it shoots with factory ammo. Right now the only company making ammo for it is Remington correct?

I agree with you Brad.. I bought a Winnie Model 700 ss WSM form Gander Mt. There selling price was better than Cabelas and they gave me a 15% discount on ammo and a scope!!

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to reload my 350 Rem Mag simply because Remington is only showing one SKU - a 200 grain soft point. There are a great many bullets available for this cartridge, and I see that Nosler now has brass cases available. Remington brass is good, inexpensive, and available. It's a versatile round, and the best way to exploit it is to load yourself. Who knows, if the round grows in popularity, maybe Federal will starting loading it. It really is the first commercial "short magnum", and a very good one at that. Best, Starcharvski

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a Ruger SS 350 RM (limited run)... it's got a 22" 1-12" barrel and is built around the Ruger WSM action (with all-steel floorplate). Feeds like a champ. I got 2,620 with 250 Speer's (RL15) and the Rem factory 200's go just over 2,800. It's getting a bead blast and a Timney trigger. With a Leupold 2x7 in low Ruger ring's, sling and three rounds it goes 8 lb's 4 oz's... later I'll restock it in fiberglass to get it around 7.75 lb's ready to go... I'm diggin' the 350...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brad:

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 250 grain Speers and the RL-15... how many grains.???

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of the .350 for years. Have the M600, M660, and M7MS. For me it has been a super varminter. It is now available in Ruger's stainless and blue M77. This is one truly versatile round. I have been tempted by the new Rem. shark sighted vent model but just haven't bit...yet. I actually like the old dog leg handle models. Let us know how she shoots.
JudgeG: What a damned if you do damned if you don't deal that was. Guess it always comes back to not messing with something that shoots that well. But what do you do when it eats brass? I remember picking just that right Super Blackhawk that would shoot one hole groups, then having the barrel shortened, and presto, lousy gun.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
PAH

Try the 225gr Nosler Partition with IMR or H4895. Accurate and flat shooting (for a .350) in my Classic.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Whelen Nut:

Whats the recipe... how many grains H4895, OAL, primer, case.... do you know the velocity?

Are you using RCBS dies..??

Regards ..Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad..
Have you checked out the new Dick's Sporting Goods? Use to be Galyans in St. Charles.

I stopped in a couple weeks ago as they were stocking firearms and, although they didn't have much in yet, the prices seemed even better than Gander Mountains, at least on the few items I could compare.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PA, I absolutely love the 350RM and personally think the REM673 is well thought out w/ only a few non-fatal flaws. It is amazing how a gun/cartridge can develope such a love/hate following in print. For me, this combo has proved to be outstanding on medium to bear size game out to 250 yards (think of it as a woods/mountain gun w/ about a 100 yards more range than a lever and the terminal performance of a good medium bore magnum).

Mine- I use a 1.5-5xLEU/German#4 mounted w/ LEU QRW rings and 2-pc Warne bases (I like this as it gives me unobstructed access to the chamber and the bases are low profile for iron sight use). I actually like the factory high-fixed sights w/ the factory stock profile (they are very quick and precise for me out to about 75-100 yards on medium size game). I find it easy to transition between scope and fixed.

Though the factory inletting is a little sloppy on mine, it does not bind and I find no need in bedding as it will regularly group 3-shots at around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 MOA out to 250 yards w/ factory REM 200CL (w/ action screws torqued around 20-30 inch-lbs). I've shot 225 HLs under MOA for 3-shots.

It handles well but has one nagging flaw for me. I hate the Remington safety (because it does not lock the bolt). I intend to convert mine to the Forbes 2-position (three-function) safety. I have a preference for a mauser actions, but mine has proven itself to feed/extract reliably when cold, hot, wet, dry, or dirty. It's not quite as slick as a couple of .375 H&Hs I have but it feeds surprisingly smooth.

later, Gary

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
PAH

IMR4895 @ 58.5gr. CCI Mag Primer. Rem Brass. 3.305" RCBS Dies. MV @ 15' 2525

You can load it faster but this one gives me less than 2" @ 200 yds.

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Whelen NUt:

Thank you very much for the recipe, I will probably end up hand Loading for it anyway. I am hanloading for over 10 calibers now one more won't make a difference.

I was looking to try maybe a 180 or a 200 grain to get the velocity up. The only Bullet manufacture that makes both in both weights is Hornady. I think the 180 grain may be to fat and short to have a good ballistic coefficent, but it would be nice to play around with.

Thanks again...

Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Just spent a futile day looking for factory ammo. I stopped at the local hardware store, no 270 WSM or 350 Remington Mag.

My next stop was at Gander Mountain, again no 270 WSM or 350 Rem Mag. This is the second or third time I stopped at Gander that they didn't have 270 WSM in 130 grain Ballistic Silvertips, my sub MOA shooter.

I finally said the hell with it and ordered three boxes of 350 rem Mag and two boxes of the Winchester from Midway. Gotta pay $9.50 for shipping for five boxes of shells, but hey I probably burned that much in gas with todays prices at the pumps.. nut

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
61 gr of H4895 behind the 200 grain RN CoreLokt is very accurate in both my 660 and 700 Classic AND, as you can imagine, untracks whitetails imediately.....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My mdl 7 likes 60.0 gr of Varget and the Rem 200 PSP for 2700 fps out of the 21" barrel. Does a number on these Missouri whitetails!

Posts: 152 | Location: West Central Missouri | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody got any pet loads for their 350 and 225 gr Partitions, using Win/Olin 748?

I'm using H4895 now with 200 gr Hronady but want a 225 Partition load and 748 looks like it should get me 2600 fps or so.

Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BorealisBob - Yes, I've check out the new Dicks store. Prices are a bit better than Gander Mtn., but Gander Mtn. seems to be more knowledgeable in the gun dept., and the inventory is MUCH better at Gander. Where abouts in Illinois are you from?
Best,
Starcharvski

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad...
Yes, Gander has the wider selection and most of the guys there have some good knowledge. But if a fellow knows what he wants and Dick's has it...well, a little competition doesn't hurt. Gander will match it.

I'm just down the road in Aurora. Likely walked past each other at Gander at some time. I'm there at least once a week to buy powder and miscellaneous items, also to drool.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jim, 59.5 gr's RL15/250 Speer/WLR/RP Brass... that's a max load for the Whelen but works in my 350... no shiny spots on the case head, no extractor cutout marks, no primer cratering and the cases fall right out of the chamber...

I'd work up slowly and carefully to that load however as lots of powder vary...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad:
What kind of groups are you getting from the SS Ruger? I was offered one but didn't jump yet. If it shoots, it ought to be quite the little woods outfit. Thanks.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote