THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    ZG-47 stock styles. How many were there?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZG-47 stock styles. How many were there?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Of coarse they aren't very common over here but every one I've seen had a different stock on it. How many different styles did these come in anyway? I've owned two. The first one was a .30-06 that had an American style raised cheek piece and a schnable forend tip stock. The other is an 8X64 with no cheek piece. I've seen another that fla3006 has posted pictures of and it looks nothing like either of mine.

How many stock styles did this rifle come in anyway?

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Terry, I have rifles of 4 different stock configurations in my collection and I believe there are others too including full "Mannlicher" like the earlier 22F. Some have cheekpieces (2 different rollover types and a European pancake type), some w/o, some with grip caps as well as w/o, and 4 different checkering patterns. All mine have schnabble tips. There were also 2 barrel lengths and receivers were matte finished or bright blued. Carved stocks and engraved receivers could also be had.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
I was wondering if you know much about the Parker Hale "Hussar". I have one in 308 Norma Magnum with a Monte Carlo stock. Just wondered about the history of this ZG47 rendition.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
ZB sold a few hundred ZG47 actions & barreled actions to Parker Hale, FW Heym and Waffen Frankonia near the end of production. Approx 20K ZGs were made by ZB from 1950-1962.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
OK, Thanks!

I guess both of the models I've had are both heavy barrel models.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it I have a horse shoe rammed up the wazzo, but I picked up a ZG in 9,3x62. After reading that article posted here it must have either the deluxe B or C style stock. Lightweight and schnable forend. Much more pronounced than the 21H has. Hope this helps for your reference on some of the rare ones.

It got it's first meat buck this fall too with the 250gr Accubond.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Noel, nice rifle and animal. I think both of mine have the heavy barrels. They both have matte finish receiver with and shiny barrels. I no longer own the .30-06, but still have the 8X64s. The .30-06 is for sale if anybody is interested. ZG-47 for sale It's not 100% original, but it's a clean rifle. When I owned it I was going to use the action for a custom rifle project, but sold it instead.

8X64s Brenneke no cheek piece.

.30-06 with the raised cheek piece

Terry

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Anybody out there actually seen a 10,75x68 ZG-47?

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boha:
Anybody out there actually seen a 10,75x68 ZG-47?

I have heard of two in Canada, but never saw either. They were owned by die hard collectors I believe. I have also seen pics online of a couple 9,3x64 Brennekes.

TC1, that 8x64 is real nice!

My rifle has had the bolt tooled, has the polished reciever as you can see and has the cheekpiece too.

I have a friend in BC who has a very rare 22F/ZG47 crossover rifle in the superb 7x57. It has the usual 22F mannlicher stock, DST's and small ring reciever but it wears the ZG round bolt handle and the swing over safety that is found on the ZG's. It is very unique looking!

Another gent in BC is rumored to have a 22F in either 9,3x57 or 62. It would be a handfull to shoot! LOL A bit off the topic here but I never would have thought they'd make that one!

Does anyone know how many 9,3x62 ZG's were made?
I had heard 33-40 perhaps......

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I think far more 9.3s were made than 40. One was for sale at the Dallas show awhile back, a friend here in Houston who is not a collector has 2, Alf has several, and 2 dealers I know in Sweden say they see them from time to time. Not commonplace but not impossible to find either.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
it looks like the safety on those is back to fire is that correct??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
it looks like the safety on those is back to fire is that correct??

Yes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've located a ZG-47 with e Mod. 21/22 left side safety, and also a Model 21 with a regular Mauser safety (shroud) - does anyone know if this is common, or has somebody in the past just exchanged parts?
I also picked up a ZG-47 in 9.3x62 recently!

Boha - how common are ZG-47:s amd mod. 21/22:s in Finland?

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1
I just bought your 30-06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpepper:
Alf,
I was wondering if you know much about the Parker Hale "Hussar". I have one in 308 Norma Magnum with a Monte Carlo stock. Just wondered about the history of this ZG47 rendition.

Parker Hale originally used military 98 actions and sporterized them into their Model 1000 rifles. As the supply of 98 actions was drying up they purchased a number of actions from Brno and these were stamped with " Hussar" and Parker Hale on the left side of the action. I have one in 308 Norma as well. I have also seen quite a few in 30-06 and several in 7x57. Shortly after that Parker Hale started using the Spanish made Santa Barbra actions that were built into the newer Model 1200 rifles. Hope that answers your question.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006 Just curious, what is the serial # on your rifle? Mine is # 168

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
820, it's a 243

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Worth:
TC1
I just bought your 30-06.

That was a very nice rifle! You're really going to enojoy it!

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NoelC,
very satisfying to see a wellcared for ZG at work in the field. thumb

a short barrel version with tasteful reinforce.

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vasa:
I've located a ZG-47 with e Mod. 21/22 left side safety, and also a Model 21 with a regular Mauser safety (shroud) - does anyone know if this is common, or has somebody in the past just exchanged parts?
I also picked up a ZG-47 in 9.3x62 recently!

Boha - how common are ZG-47:s amd mod. 21/22:s in Finland?

Vasa

Not very common, I'm afraid, neither of them..
Tikkas and Sakos have the market, you know...

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote