New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding the Rem 700
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to go out into my reloading room and bed the stock on my Rem. 700. Not that it needs it, I just need to do something with guns. Three feet of snow and 10 deg below zero is giving me "Cabin Fever".

Anyhow, here is my question, Do I want to free float the barrel on the 700? It is definitely not free floating now. The barrel actually rests on the stock about 3in. from the forend. The bluing is worn at this point on the underside if the barrel. Is the 700 designed to ride on the barrel at this point or can I go ahead and grind it down to free float the barrel?
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would float it as that seems to be the norm - of it shoots worse - go back and add material near the tip to apply pressure untill it comes back.

Gives you 'nother excuse to tear into it.

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I free floated the Tupperware Special (M700 ADL). Made a big difference. Groups got smaller right away.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass bed the action, and free float the barrel.
Barrel should be glassed/supported for approx.
the first 2-3inches in front of the receiver.
The remainder should be floated.
And, yes, Remingtons are normally bedded at the factory with a pressure point at the forend as
you noted.

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot now? If it shoots great, duplicate the pressure of the pad. If it doesn't shoot worth a toot now then it won't hurt to free float it. If free floating makes it shoot even worse you can always go back and add an epoxy pad under the barrel.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote