THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    The SAKO 85 'pocket' There is one! 85 Mickey stock pic added

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SAKO 85 'pocket' There is one! 85 Mickey stock pic added
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well guys, as many of you know, I am a certified SAKO nut, and just discovered a little intel when I returned from a hunting trip to Kansas.

The weather was all over the map, and I was out in the snow and sleet enough, that there was actually ice on my barrel during a couple of sits out in the weather. When I got home, I took my rifle apart just to see what all was down in the action/stock. There was actually a little bit of moisture, which is the main reason I do the disassembly, and a few other odds and ends, some grass, dirt and the like.

What I found, contrary to an earlier assesment, is that there is indeed an ALUMINUM pocket that the recoil 'lug'/surfaces bear against. I had not been able to discern it from the plastic stock itself when posting previously and taking some pics upon request from a few folks. I still wasn't sure, when looking at it this time, but the aluminum portion had some condensation on it that the rest of the stock did not. I had actually bought a new McMillan stock that I plan on putting this rifles barreled action into, and therefore, needed to be sure of this pocket arrangement and get the metal pocket out of the factory stock. I actually nicked the anodized finish a little bit, and gouged the pocket a bit when removing it, but I wanted to share the pics. The wooden stock has a similar setup, but the pocket there is actually screwed into the wooden stock as well, I didn't take any pics when I had it apart, but it is essentially the same as the syn stock, but with a flange at the front (nearest to the muzzle) end, which has a couple of screws that pin it to the wooden stock. I haven't sighted the wooden stocked rig back in, so I guess I would be willing to take it back apart if someone was dying to see a pic of it.

At any rate, here are the pics of the Aluminum pocket and the Syn stock.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don,

Thanks for more good Sako Pics and info.

I'm looking forward to seeing your rifle in the Micky stock, I hope you'll post pics as soon as it's done.

Any progress on your 7 Dakota?................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, I'm glad the pics came out a little better this time. I'll post a pic of the 85 in the Micky later tonight. It is the 75 Geometry, inlettted for the 85, and you do need the 'pocket metal' for the conversion. I actually put a blued barreled action in there for right now--long story....

Still hearing promises from Sandman on my 7 Dak, supposed to have sent me a box and a check for a rifle of his I have, when I was in Kansas, but have received nothing from him.....we'll see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, if you get a chance could you weigh your barreled action (85) and then the factory stock for us?
Thanks

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handwerk, I've got the Syn stock off right now, and will weigh that later this evening. The barreled action is in a new McMillan stock (edge technology) and I don't want to break her down right now, but I can weigh an all up wooden stocked one.....I'll get some measurements and let you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, my scale gave up the ghost, so no weight #'s just yet.

Here's some pics of the 85 in the new McMillan stock--Edge Technology--SWEET!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, THAT IS ONE SWEET RIG!!!
Damn, I wish it would be aesier to get a mcmillan to Sweden.... thumbdown
I`m more interested in knowing what the Edge-stock weighs...

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
asti, if I get a new scale anytime soon, I'll post some weight specifications.

Send a member who posts here as MHO a PM, he might have some intel on how to efficiently get stuff to Sweden, he's from Europe himself....

One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
Now that is superb!!! thumb

How does the recoil-lug work in the McMillan???

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
340, the recoil lug system works great, it was a nice snug fit, and it bottoned up tight as a drum. I will have some accuracy comparisons Monday, I've shot this rig a bunch in it's factory stock previously, and it was a great shooter, I would expect it does just as good if not better.

I've always been impressed with the quality of the inletting on my McMillans, and the true 'drop-in' performance of them, tolerances just right IME.

I'll have a couple more done up like this I'm sure.

One of Us
Picture of OldCenterChurch
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable!!! Beautiful rifle! I want the 85 Finnlight chambered in .284 Winchester in one of those Edge beauties!!!

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote