THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Back to the Future Restore. Vintage 1951

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to the Future Restore. Vintage 1951
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted
Here's my Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage Vintage 1951 all restored by myself. Completely disassembled and cleaned having been sitting in a closet for many years. I have 30 hours in refinishing the stock. Wink
The bore is mirror smooth.
I left the vintage Redfield 4X Scope along with the Weaver Mounts however I did replace the front mount as it didn't look so good.
Last night Barbie and I mounted the scope back on. Using the side of the receiver as a reference point we squared up the cross-hairs parallel with it.

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Job.A 1951 EG with factory D&T is hard to find.
300 Savage?

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
factory D&T

Acronym for?

Thank you sir.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUKE NUKEM:
quote:
factory D&T

Acronym for?

Thank you sir.

Drill & Tap.

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
quote:
Originally posted by DUKE NUKEM:
quote:
factory D&T

Acronym for?

Thank you sir.

Drill & Tap.

OK thanks. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
What's EG stand for?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Economy Grade

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! I restored my grandfather's 300 Savage and really enjoy handling and shooting it. I know that it takes the value away, but I have restored a number of older rifles and shotguns that belonged to my dad and granddad and enjoy seeing them exhibit a second life!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a good one to restore and don't worry about the collector value..The EGs in 300 Savage are not very collectable and only the ones that are original and 110% have any collector value..

That said its a fantastic gun, built by old world craftsmanship, all milled parts etc., and in a great caliber..Probably the most ideal Whitetail caliber ever, its just right..I had an uncle that shot a ton of elk with one and it was considered a magnum by all in my youth when all the rest of us shot Win. carbines in 25-35s, 30-30s, 38-55s and Savage 99s in 250-3000 for deer and elk. I remember a few 30-40 Krag bolt guns and Win.95s, and they were considered power houses also.

Your gun brings on moments of nostalgia and
memories of a wonderful time in my youth.. I swore someday I would own a 300 Savage like Uncle Johns as it had to be so much better than my 25-35 and it was.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duke,

Great job on your Savage. They are an outstanding piece of American firearms history. As Ray states they don't have a lot of collector value but they are fun to shoot and hunt with. There must be something about the gun and our history that makes us want to being them back. I did something similar a few years ago

A new life for a Savage 99 EG in 300 Savage

How does it shoot?

Thanks for sharing with us,

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on that fine restoration. I often have to deal with so called "collectors" who drive me crazy if a gun has every been refinished or reblued, etc. It is mere stupidity.

You own the rifle, fix it the way you want it, and then it's a true collector; for you if not for anyone else.

Nice work. Enjoy and good hunting.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys. We have a line on a second one just like it.