New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 8x57 opened up to .375???
 Login/Join

<Adirondack Joe>
posted
I was looking around in Cartridges of the World and saw a European number called the 9.5x57. Seems to be a mauser case opened up to 375. Is such a round actually in use today? I'd imagine that with light bullets like the 225 gn Hornady, this number would be quite the woods gun in a short rifle.

<Kimmo E>
posted
I dont think many uses 9,5*57 but 9,3*57
are a good moose round here in sweden.
Norma makes factory ammo. in 15g (vulkan) and 18,5g (Alaska)

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.5x57 is Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge developed for the 1910 rifle and carbine. It is a fine cartridge for anything shy of large, dangerous game.
Ammunition is available from http://www.snowcrest.net/oldwest/ using reformed brass. Original ballistics equal the .358 Winchester. Modern loadings can go a bit hotter using lighter bullets. This site http://www.african-hunter.com/site/classcart/375hhmag_01.htm tell the history and shows a comparison.

------------------

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
It is not very popular and very rare

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I�m not sure, but components should be easy:

.375 bullets are plentiful. Cases once fireformed will last long. Dies might be a problem, I would check RCBS first.

May I suggest other proven ideas: 9.3x62 ( yes, also slightly larger than standard Mauser case, but will require no action work ), 8x68S ( eventually only rechamber, use sturdy bullets only because of twist rate ), 9.3x64 Brenneke and .376 Steyr. The last two use same case size.

Have fun! Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are usually about a half dozen 1910 Mannlichers and a couple of Amberg mausers on the market in 9.5x57. Last year I had four of them. Old Western Scrounger has dies and factory loads in reformed brass. Kynoch still loads it as the .375 NE Rimless, although their cases seem a bit undersized for most chambers.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The 9,5x57 uses the same basic case as the 8, 9 and 9,3x57, the primary difference being the diameter at the shoulder is increased in the 9,5. My 9,5 likes cases made out of Winchester 8x57 brass just fine. It makes a good woods cartridge for pretty much anything in the US with a 270 gr bullet handloaded to 2300 or so, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have one built. Those MS 1910 carbines are classy little guns, though!

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote