THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    anyone else building rifles for 376 steyr?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone else building rifles for 376 steyr?
 Login/Join

<Dr. John>
posted
anyone else building a rifle for the 376 steyr cartridge? seems like a great round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty Gunn is, but then again I expect He's some sort of Madman. He's also the only poster here who has to look both ways for Polar bears when he takes out the trash!!!

Rusty, Long time no hear. Hows the project coming?

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo:
Rusty Gunn is, but then again I expect He's some sort of Madman. He's also the only poster here who has to look both ways for Polar bears when he takes out the trash!!!

Rusty, Long time no hear. Hows the project coming?

As of last week, the stainless Mauser actions were not available yet. The guy at Jerry's mentioned 'end of the month', with another saying early May. I just had to re-check to make sure.
As soon as I can get my squirrelly hands on one, I plan to let Pac-Nor make the 376.

Since this one will be stainless, I found out about the stainless Ruger No1 quarter ribs with sight, stainless barrel band swivels from Dave Gentry, but because I couldn't find a stainless front sight ramp (or barrel band type), I ordered a stainless bar, and my friend will machine one for me. I can see spending a good deal of money on this, but at least I'll be happy my 'handle' won't happen to my new rifle! ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varberger of Sweden have the Steyr .376 on offer - please check out the Meacham website
www.meachamrifles.com
you should get all details there.

Good shooting.

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
MK,

Their Safari model really looks good:

http://www.meachamrifles.com/varberger/index.htm

especially at just over $2,000.

Suluuq, youy will have to become Rust Resistant Gunn.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hunter Jim, it does look beautiful, but in my country, under the current regulations, the only way I could bring a gun in would be to live outside for 3 years and bring it back as a returning resident. If you do buy one, do let me know how much you enjoy it.
Good shooting.

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I think a tactical in 6mm Ackley would be a grat varmint gun. The safari looks solid but it is a push feed gun

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

I don't know much about current Indian gun and game laws, but I do correspond with a gentleman there who shoots a .30-'06 to remove pig "agricultural pests" from his farm. He has told me that you have to be creative to have guns in India.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hunter Jim, pigs, rabbits and certain agricultural pests can be shot under what is called a Crop Protection Permit. I don't know what your friend means by "being creative" but the import of guns has been banned, though the Indian Ordnance Factories sell guns of their manufacture on sporterised Lee Enfield actions in oddball calibers like .315 IOF which are plain junk. Most farmers find using 12 bore shotguns much more useful since they can use either bird shot or slugs depending on what they plan to shoot.

<eldeguello>
posted
mehulkamdar, I am surprised and a little disappointed about India's gun laws, considering how long you folks suffered under the oppressive regime of the British as regards possession of arms!! I would have thought your leaders would have learned!! "Well, once in power, we have to do everything we can to keep our phony-baloney jobs, eh??"

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's sad, isn't it, eldeguello? The first disarming of the Indian public was by the British after the 1857 Sepoy Rebellion when Indians frist tried to throw thr Brits out. The second came during 1984 when the Indira Gandhi government banned the ownership of more than 3 guns, banned the import of guns altogether and then banned the ownership of rifles of caliber larger than 8mm and handguns of caliber larger than .32.

Mahatma Gandhi, the founder of modern India, a man whose life is considered an example of peaceful living, was someone who bitterly opposed British laws restricting the ownership by my countrymen. And yes, before I forget, so does the Dalai Lama today's living saint from my region.

What does this make the framers of the antti-gun laws here? I cannot use polite language to describe them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
though the Indian Ordnance Factories sell guns of their manufacture on sporterised Lee Enfield actions in oddball calibers like .315 IOF which are plain junk.

Dear Mehul,
could you let us know more about this quaint cartridge, for curiosity's (and education's) sake ? It is the first time I hear about it, so I would appreciate more info on dimensions, shape, bullets, ballistic data.

Many thanks from Germany,
Carcano
carcano91@hotmail.com

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll be building one off either a mexican mauser 1936 with knurled knob) or a new charles daly in stainless. It'll be third in line, as my 585 nyati is first, and I am kicking around the double idea.
I'll let you know how it goes.. I am still thinking about rechambering one of my 358's into the 376 necked down.. should be between 35 whelen and 358 norma.... in a 6.5# gun.
Jeffe

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in replying, Carcano 19 since I hadn't visited this thread in a long time. The .315 IOF (Indian Ordnance factory) caliber is a result of our current gun laws that do not permit the ownership of any rifle with a caliber over 8mm. I have never fired one (I am too scared to do so since the quality of all IOF products is plain s**t) but their ad copy says that it fires a 215 grain bullet at 2200 fps. If I know IOF, there's a lot of blue sky in those figures. The case on which this is based is the .303 Enfield and the rifle is little more than a sporterised Enfield with a 5 round magazine. The rifles are very popular in Central India where people get to buy guns more easily than in the rest of the country due to more liberal state laws and also because imports have been banned since 1984 and there are virtually no other guns available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for your laws in India at the moment, Us Aussies are also feeling the heat with our gun laws as ignorant politicians bow to the insane ideas of minority morons.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides the above post, is it possible to build the Steyr .376 on a Ruger MK 11 30/06??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Besides the above post, is it possible to build the Steyr .376 on a Ruger MK 11 30/06??

I am building one on a mexican mauser. 22 or 24" barrel . yeah, you can build it on anything x57 or longer
jeffe

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote