Find
Notify
Tools

I've got the fever again
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
While cruising a local gunstore, I spotted a beauty that I have been unable to get out of my mind. It is a semi-custom, Mauser actioned rifle by an obscure German maker, whose name I can't remember. It has open sights, claw mount bases (but no scope), a butterknife bolt handle and a barrel band front sling swivel. The rifle is chambered in 7x64 calibre. The bluing is worn, and the overall condition can be described as used, but not abused. The asking price is less than $1,000.

I have absolutely no need for this rifle. Furthermore, I have a long history of purchasing a gun for $1,000, putting another $1,000 into it in restoration, and then selling it for $1,000. Please tell me why I should just put this gun out of my mind and walk away.

You don't suppose the 7x64 would make a good African light plains game rifle do you?

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wolly--sometimes it's just the beauty in something and sometimes it's cause you just want to do it.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're anything like me, and if I had to guess, most members on these forums, need has very little to do with most of our firearms purchases. And if you need an extra push in that direction , doesn't want translate into need Big Grin

I'd say as long as you've got the itch, might as well scratch it...

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
Please tell me why I should just put this gun out of my mind and walk away.

Can't think of anything, sorry!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're asking the wrong guy here too. Probably you're even on the wrong site. Probably if you go over to hilary's website she would come up with a really good answer for you

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
This is rediculous. Go buy the damn rifle! Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I was kinda hoping that someone would tell me that:

1. Mauser actions are crap
2. I'll have to purchase claw mounts
3. The 7x64 is crap
4. I won't be able to buy 7x64 ammo in the Otjiwarongo WalMart
5. Re-bluing and cleaning up the stock will be more than the gun is worth.

I guess I should have known better fishing

Maybe I'll go down and have another look at it. Just out of curiosity, mind you. hillbilly

www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ONLY reason to buy that, or any rifle, is that, when you pick it up and shoulder it a little voice whispers in your ear "take me home big boy...".
I hear those voices a lot.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so have you brought it home yet?? Big Grin Wink

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only think of two reasons:
1) it's not a 257 Roberts.
2) it's not a 250 Ackley.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I want something I just go and get it No if ands, or buts. My wife gets over it in a couple Months. And I have the rifle.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. is it a military action?
if so, i think it's somewhat pricey.

2. the caliber, kind of a oddball.
but if you reload all of your ammo it doesn't matter, but i like to buy some factory-ammo once in a while.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Do it. Your a long time dead. Post a picture when you get it.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price seems a little high if you think that it needs bluing and stock refinishing. Take a closer look at the bolt handle root where it comes out of the bolt body. If it starts straight up for about 5/8" or so that will mean that it will not clear a low scope well. If the bolt handle does not come up like that and its cuts into the stock like most other rifles then it many be ok that way.

Much depends upon the personality of the rifle. If it has DST's, engraving, fine checkering, nice wood etc it all adds up. For just some large ring Mauser with rough finish and who knows what headspace beware.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are lucky...and beat off the others in front of yiou in the queue...you'll spend even more money trying to find a period 'scope with a period mount!

FWIW these German or Austrain rifles, most likely surrended arms during the allied occupation after WWII may still have the 'scope lingering somewhere in Europe along also with the fitted case for both rifle AND 'scope.

They don't make very much money here in UK - the rifle in the condition you describe - maybe equivalent of US $150 at most US $200. Because that is, frankly, without the 'scope, all they are worth.

It'll cost as much to put it right as a decent Griffin and Howe in classic .270 from the same period and be worth less.

7x64. Great cartridge...in EUROPE. In US? Choose a .280!
Take a tip from Dionne Warwick..."Walk on By"!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Wooly, You pick her up for $1,000 and love her and wine and dine her for another $1,000, then when she looks elsewhere you get back $1,000 and she doesn't get alimony... Works for me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Bwaahaahaa! Best advice yet! Big Grin

www.ceandersonart.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wooly,
Just buy it put $1500 into it and then sell it to me for a $1000. dancing
Why change the way you do things. Cool

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have no choice. You simply have to buy this rifle. It has been written.

Angering society one University student at a time.

Posts: 114 | Location: Lethbridge, Alberta. | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wooly,

Do your part for the economy. If we had a few more like you (and me Roll Eyes), our economy would be rolling along. Wink

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote