THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    IMO, a real rifle starts at 270 Winchester.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMO, a real rifle starts at 270 Winchester.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:

Have any of you guys actually eaten Lutefisk ?

Morten

Yes... yuck. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:

Have any of you guys actually eaten Lutefisk ?

Morten

Yes... yuck. Big Grin

But still alive ??

jumping

You Canadians are chickens…

jumping

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:

You Canadians are chickens…

Indeed, those Canadians are a bunch of chickens.

However, we Montanan's in the USA are even worse!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Yes - you are even worse !

jumping

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

how come you have eaten Lutefisk ?

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should try fermented herring. Yes i like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfiGmcQFiDY

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
https://www.thespruceeats.com/lutefisk-fish-2952909

It is more popular in the US now than in Scandinavia! Eeker

quote:
Brad,

Morten

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brad,

Morten

If you know the last Norwegian explorer's name that sailed the Fram to the Antarctic, you will know my last name, and perhaps the reason I have eaten lutefisk. I have even visited my relatives still in NO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you related to Mr Nansen ?

Morten

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you related to Mr Nansen ?

Morten

You need to review the Fram’s history...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, it was Fritjof Nansen that took the initiative to build Fram and he was the first explorer that used the ship for an expedition. Then Otto Sverdrup used Fram amongst in the ice of Canada. Last it was Roald Amundsen that used the ship for one of his expeditions.

The ship was buildt in Larvik. I have no information about the shipbuilders.

So you must help me out here Wink

But if you are related to one of these men how the heck did you end up in Montana ?

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All Norwegian explorers may have leaks in some watertight departments. Confused a oiltanker with land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Nansen-class_frigate

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
All Norwegian explorers may have leaks in some watertight departments. Confused a oiltanker with land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Nansen-class_frigate

Ha ha ... Spanish production... disaster the whole war ship thing..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I read an extremely cogent treatise defending the author's thesis that the .308 Win was the single best cartridge for all North American big game hunting. Of course, there are too many variables to isolate a single cartridge as superior to all others. The .308 Win might be our most efficient big game cartridge. It might be our most inherently accurate big game cartridge. Velocity is not affected to appreciable degree with shorter, easy-to-carry barrel lengths. I do know that I could put a .308 Win carbine to some seriously good big game hunting.

When hunters discuss cartridges, they seem to overlook biology, especially how animals die. When we pare opinions and focus on science, we'll find that all reasonable big game cartridges will produce the identical outcome: tags on antlers.

I've been told & I've read stories of "solidly hit" bull elk traveling for miles. Their definition of "solidly hit" had to have been different from mine. In fact, I think people excusing losing an elk due to their alleged toughness translates to poor shooting skills. Ironically, I'd take odds that lost elk were do to mega magnums that such hunters mistakenly believed were necessary to kill animals as tough as elk. My bet is mega-magnums cause mega recoil that cause mega flinches that cause mega misses and, sadly, mega wounding hits.

Nothing living remains in that condition w/o topside oxygenated blood flow. Death is defined by lack of brain activity. Lack of brain activity is caused by either destroying the brain or denying oxygenated blood flow to it. When the biggest bull elk that has ever lived no longer has a functioning brain, it will hit dirt. Nothing escapes laws of biology.

Every season, huge elk are killed by arrows leaving stings at ~300 FPS.

Put a 180 grain Partition fired from a highly efficient .308 Win into the oxygenating blood pumping apparatus of a massive trophy bull, and he will die. In fact, he's dead on his hooves awaiting law of gravity. Put the same bullet fired from a .300 RUM into guts of the identical elk, and it might travel for miles before dying. Good shooting is the differentiating factor. Good shooting is achieved by lots of practice. A rifle/cartridge combo that encourages practice should result in shooting skill. Shooting skill creates confidence. Confidence kills big game.

Very few hunters can withstand punishing recoil of the .300 Win Mag fired from a sporting rifle when fired from benches. My guess is the 7MM Rem Mag is the most powerful cartridge that hunters can bench shoot without developing flinches.

Thus, my conclusion of most big game hunters already have perfect big game rifles when they're used within their intended limitations. A hunter with a century old .303 British that he can shoot will put meat in his freezer every season.

From a scientific perspective, the .308 Win might be the single best North American big game cartridge. But hunting is an emotional sport. We all have emotional attachments. I love the .270 Win. I cannot declare that it's better than all others. I will declare that it'll kill every bit as dead as any other cartridge to include mega magnums. But I will give the advantage to the .270 Win. I get excellent ballistics from lightweight rifles with 22" barrels. I can bench shoot both of my .270 Win rifles all day long. The .270 Win is an incredibly accurate cartridge. Best of all, it will kill every species of North American big game. There is no doubt in my mind that a 160 grain Partition fired from a .270 Win will break both shoulders of the largest bear in North America.

On paper, .284 caliber has the edge on .277 & .308 calibers. However, cartridges from all three calibers will produce the identical outcome. Now we're back to the fickle variable of preference. Since hunting is a reflection of our personalities, our cartridge choices are products of emotion. Otherwise, we'd all be hunting with rifles chambered for the .308 Win. But that's not how it works in the real world.

Who the heck am I to tell anyone what cartridge he should use, or that his cartridge is inferior or others? He's able to figure out what he wants and what will work best for him. But then again, it'd be most difficult to deny reason and logic of going with a .270 Win, especially were we to introduce laws of biology into cartridge debates.

Hunting success to all...

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote