New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Ruger Magnum Accurizing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone accurized a Ruger Magnum? What did you do? Did it work? I have a Timney Trigger, Pachmayer Pad, White front bead, and Warne QD Rings otherwise it is stock. I have not really spent any time working on groups. With the 1.5X5 scope I do not seem to be able to get the greatest groups at 100 yds. Maybe 2-3" at best. I was thinking of trying a higher powered scope and maybe some handloads. Any comments for people with the same gun would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
"Any comments for people with the same gun would be appreciated."

tradewinds,
I'm sorta surprised that it's not shooting good. I had a 416Rigby in the same rifle that would shoot under an inch and better. (mostly better and this was out of the box)
I shot Federal sledgehammer solids and softs along with several handloads with Woodleigh and Barnes and it shot extremely well.
I would change ammo first (if you haven't already) then have the bedding checked if that didn't work. The scope you have is fine IMHO. I had the same scope on my 416.
Several people on this forum have had real good luck with the 416's in that rifle.
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 77 MKI that will shoot 3 shots from a 338 mag into 5/8" - but I do plan to glass bed the action myself - just because I like the idea of tightening down the action without compressing wood which will give up some of the tension.

A Ruger 77 fan at another site http://stevespages.com/table1.html always free floats the barrel - swears this is the answer to all problems in a 77. By the way anyone who hasn't visited this site take a look - I love his writing and stories about his history with a godzillion different calibers and recommended load data. I just glass bedded and free floated the barrel of a custom used 270 I just bought - down from 2-3" to 3/4". Good Luck

Somehow I sort of feel if you have a glass bedded action and a free floated barrel you won't see much change in the point of impact due to weather. Anyone else experienced this?

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
2" groups with factory ammo are well within rifle performance standards!! Try handloads!! I have No. 1 .375 H&H which shoots one of my handloads very well (1.5" @ 180 yards), but several others are terrible! In the .375, loads can make a big difference!! [Smile]