Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R93
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Guys, not having fired the 202 myself, I can not dispute what you have said. I had a 6mmBR Norma R93 Varmint that would shoot five shot, 100 yard groups between .009-150" with factory Lapua ammo. My 223Rem R93 Match will shoot sub .250" groups all day long with several loads.

My evidence is a bit anecdotal, but hard to dispute (at least in my mind). But I am the ultimate Blaser Kool-aid drinker...

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, is your 6mmBR barrel a Blaser standard or custom barrel?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
The barrel was/is a standard LRS (Long Range Sporter) fluted match barrel. It will go into the LRS action or any Safari stock R93 from Blaser.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the Sauer. But here's what my R93 will do with Federal P338T2 out of the box factory ammo.

And my .375 barrel will do the same.

Better than this I do not need.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Don't know about the Sauer. But here's what my R93 will do with Federal P338T2 out of the box factory ammo.

And my .375 barrel will do the same.

Better than this I do not need.

There you have it, sweet R93 performance.

Get into them lads, you will not regret it!!!

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:

look at Audi and Mercedes these cars if you research are actually some of the worst cars made in the entire world as far as reliability VW even more so, another words they suck, people keep buying them because of the german misteek.

OK I drive a Chevy Truck but I work on all makes and models of cars and have worked on most of them both here, in Canada and Europe.
Simply put, your statement above shows that you know absolutely nothing about German cars.

All this talk is going to make me have to get my other R-93 back. You are making me wish I hadn't let my first one go in a trade! How much does it cost to retrofit a std R-93 to the "Professional" model stock? (here in the US)...........................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre and others,

Can you explain why the Blaser is more versatile than the Sauer 202, please? On the face of it, each has the ability to change barrels and stocks - what am I missing?

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
As far as the versatility of being a switch barrel gun, the 202 and R-93 are really equal, but where the difference comes in is the "ease" of changing barrels. The forend has to be removed with a special tool to change a barrel on a 202, but the R-93 only requires removing the bolt assembly and loosening a couple of allen screws in the stock.

I own both guns and really like them both.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
Andre and others,

Can you explain why the Blaser is more versatile than the Sauer 202, please? On the face of it, each has the ability to change barrels and stocks - what am I missing?

In addition to what Jeff stated (more complicated barrel switch), the Blaser allows you to switch barrels even between caliber groups. As opposed to the Sauer, which only allows barrel switches within the same caliber group (between a .22-250 and a 9.3x62, say), the Blaser operates with a removeable bolthead/locking mechanism, which allows you to switch between a .222 Rem and a 375 H&H within seconds.

Sauer switch barrels can be pretty hard to get, whereas Blaser barrels seem to be readily available.

The Blaser allows you to carry your rifle loaded in the field in complete safety - uncocked main spring. The Sauer relies on a (trigger mounted, I believe) safety.

The Blaser's scopemount is probably #1 when it comes to return to zero after having been removed - a result of the scope being mounted on the barrel, as opposed to on the receiver (Sauer).

The Blaser, is a good deal shorter than the Sauer (for the same barrel length), doing without a conventional receiver.

The Blaser probably has about the most corrosion resistant finish of any non-stainless gun.

The Blaser offers extremely quick backup shots, some would say at the cost of an extra level of safety. The Sauer locking mechanism is more conventional, slower but perhaps safer?

For fans of removeable magazines, Sauer offers that feature. And the Sauer is somewhat more refined in its operation than the Blaser (e.g. the bolt works very smoothly on the Sauer). The Blaser is really not particularly refined - it is by and large a product of machine operations with very little (if any) handfitting.

No doubt about it, both the Blaser and the Sauers are first rate products.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho, Great post! Now, being a Blaser owner, how can I carry the Blaser loaded in the field - uncocked mainspring? How would I bring it into action? I have one but have never hunted with it.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, the Blaser does not have a conventional safety. Rather, it relies on a manual cocking mechanism. When uncocked, its main spring is exactly that: uncocked, this without its firing pin protruding and resting on the primer, as would the case in a more conventional bolt action rifle.

When you take the Blaser "off safe" (red dot appears on the cocking mechanism), you'll notice this takes a bit of effort. Reason: at this point you actually cock the main spring. Firing the rifle, and reloading without moving the cocking lever will ensure the main spring automatically recocks, and the gun is ready for the follow-up shot.

So when you take the Blaser afield, it is perfectly safe to have a round chambered, as long as you make sure your action is uncocked. This as opposed to a conventional bolt action, where a cocked main spring is held in check by a safety mechanism.

Carrying a loaded gun in the field in full safety, IMHO is the ultimate feature of the Blaser. All its other advantages untold.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Another thing, if you have an apparent dud round and you wish to have another go at trying to fire it, you don't need to open the bolt to cock the rifle. Just put the safety on, and when you take the safety off again, it's recocked.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen!. I have only used the gun at the range, so far!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aha Peter, all the more reason to go out and whack a few innocent furry creatures then... Wink Seeing you are in Florida, and assuming your Blaser is chambered in a suitable caliber, how about planning a weekend trip to whack a few piggies...

And remember, because the "safety" on a Blaser is really a cocking mechanism, and because it takes a bit of force to cock it, make sure you train yourself to cock just before you shoulder the rifle (or on the way up). After the rifle is shouldered, it is quite hard to operate the cocking lever. But it is only a matter of training to become used to cocking it when it is still easily operated.

And also, train yourself to ALWAYS decock your R93 after you have fired a shot (unless you explicitly want to quickly fire another one - in a hunting situation, say). This is best trained on the range, force yourself to be consistent even it may feel silly. By doing this, it will become automatic for you to decock the rifle, and you are much less likely to find yourself running around in the field with a loaded and cocked rifle... Eeker In this respect, the Blaser is no less safe than any other rifle, but it is raher disquieting to see people run around with a rifle off safe...

With every rifle, and the Blaser is certainly no exception here, it is paramount to train with it sufficiently to become totally familiar with its operation. In particular how to handle the rifle safely.

- mike

posted Hide Post
Guys, I sae my first Blaser in Zimbabway in July, and was quite impressed. My problem is that I have followed every link in this thread. and nowhere did I see a dealer or a website where Imight find a dealer listed. I have two guns I may be interest in trading. One is a Kimber Montana with a Shilen match grade barrel, and Vais muzzle brake, in 338 w/m. Theother is a custom, starting with a Rem 700, Shilen bbl. McMillan Stock, all put together by Col. Billy Stevens, who is quite well known in bench rest circles. I would appreciate it if anyone con provide some of this information. Thanks, Rusty Carr

Rusty Carr

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Here is a dealer that alot of us use.

http://www.heritagearms.net/beta/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I see no Blasers there...

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
You will have to call Aleko at Heritage Arms, but here is another website to try.
http://store.hendershots.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=5

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of rifles out ther are accurate.

However with the Blaser R 93 you can take the scope off, thake the barrel off, put them back together and the accuracy AND proper zero remain.

Also both of the scope mounts, the "European" thumb lever, and the "American" allen wrench versions both go back to zero 100%.

Check out www.blaserpro.com.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, I have a question.

The magazine capacity of the standard caliber (.270, 30-06, etc.) R93 is three rounds. Can you top it off with another round fed directly into the chamber or do you have to feed it from the magazine?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho, thanks for the tips. I agree about the stiffness of the "cocker". A hunt sounds good to me. I have 375H&H and 300Win Mag. barrels. How big do these pigs get? If they get real big I could bring one of my doubles. Would ba 450 x 3 1/4 be big enough?!!!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Guys, I have a question.

The magazine capacity of the standard caliber (.270, 30-06, etc.) R93 is three rounds. Can you top it off with another round fed directly into the chamber or do you have to feed it from the magazine?

Dave

Dave, the standard loaded capacity of an R93 is 4: 3 in the magazine, and one in the chamber. The fourth round is either fed directly into the chamber, and then you have to put your thumb on the magazine to let the bolt clear without picking up one of the rounds there. Alternatively, you load 3 in the mag, put the fourth on top of the mag held by your thumb, say, and let the bolt pick that up. This is the method I use - very easy.

I think the mag capacity of a few calibers is different from the standard 3: WSM and RUM (2), .222/.223 (4).

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
mho, thanks for the tips. I agree about the stiffness of the "cocker". A hunt sounds good to me. I have 375H&H and 300Win Mag. barrels. How big do these pigs get? If they get real big I could bring one of my doubles. Would ba 450 x 3 1/4 be big enough?!!!
Peter.

Peter, if the purpose of your outing was to try out your R93 in the field, it probably makes sense to hunt with that gun. Rest assured a .300 or a .375 would easily suffice for piggies.

- mike

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I have 375H&H and 300Win Mag. barrels. How big do these pigs get? If they get real big I could bring one of my doubles. Would ba 450 x 3 1/4 be big enou thumb lol gh?!!!
Peter.

They are PIGS not elephants. lol BOOM

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike!

I am hoping to hook up with Ron Williams sometime soon and take a look at the Prestige frame he has for sale. My thought it to pick up Ron's Prestige and then add a bolt and a couple of barrels. Aleko suggested a .300 Win. Mag. and a .375 H&H but my preference is a 30-06 and a 9,3X62. I already have a bunch of boomers.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Dave, I am glad that you have "got religion" and "been saved". For a while there I really had doubts about your eternal soul! You were thinking heathen thoughts, but now you have seen the light!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there special preventative maintenance (daily cleaning lug slots, for instance) that's needed for use in dusty environments such as Africa in order to permit the R93 to lock up?

Also, how about accidental high-pressure loads? In the far past I've accidentally overloaded an M700 Rem and an M77 Ruger and have had to force the bolt open. What happens to the R93 under similar circumstances? Does the greater number of lugs prevent it from freezing shut? I presume the initial backwards pull of the bolt is what retracts the R93 lugs, so if they freeze, what's my next step?

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2006, I took two R93s to the Kalahari. That was a sandy experience, believe me! It was so sandy I got the stuff into the magnification adjustment on my scope. Every time I changed power, it went "schrch, schrch"... It was SANDY!

The R93s kept working no problems, but you could certainly hear and feel the sand when you worked the bolt. Because of that, and for preventive maintenance, I cleaned the bolt and the bolt rails in the stock every night with an old toothbrush. Then a light wipedown with a cloth (no oil), and we were ready for next day's mountains of sand.

That pretty much matches what maintenance I do on a daily basis when hunting elsewhere (albeit with a bit more focus on getting rid of sand, and leaving out all oil).

The issue of overpressure in an R93 is a controversial one. For quite a while there have been horror stories about the bolt coming back into the face of the shooter in cases of catastrophic overpressure. Blaser claimed EXTREME overpressure for the loads in question, and this was corroborated by the official DEVA report. However doubts lingered, and the anti-Blaser crowd had a field day.

Of late, a video from a set of destructive tests executed by a Swedish military research institute shows the R93 holding up in grand style - to loads blowing apart a M700 and a Browning A-Bolt. Regardless of whether such tests tell the entire story, this was certainly a positive thing for the Blaser.

I personally don't think the Blaser is a platform to test high pressure. There is the issue of safety, and because of the straight pull action of the Blaser, there is no primary extraction. You can (carefully) hammer open a Blaser bolt (use a rubber mallet, please), but I doubt it does wonders for the gun. So I tend to stay with book loads, and not venture into uncharted territory. Mostly, I don't get quite to the velocites claimed on the Internet, but I have yet to establish a disadvantage in the field - and my face is all in one piece...

If you absolutely MUST see how high pressures will go, and expect to freeze up your rifle on an (ir-)regular basis, perhaps other platforms would be more suitable for you?? (OK, I know you said "accidently", so you are probably not planning to do this on a regular basis Wink).

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. I've read about the latest tests and am not particularly concerned regarding the R93's strength. I, too, stay safely within book load (with the exception of the 6.5x55, which over here is ridiculously underloaded). My question truly involved accidental overloads.

I had not considered the "bolt in the face" aspect, and agree that could claim one's attention.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I bought my used Prestige from Aleko at Heritage Arms in Salt Lake City, there is another Blaser (Trophy) dealer out west that has treated me well. Mark L. Schraeder of Mad Dog Guns in Scottsdale, Arizona. He has thousands of guns, parts and accessories listed on GunBroker.com. He has stuff listed there that isn't even in the Blaser catalog yet.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried dealing with Mad Dog, but, at least in my case, got a better deal with Aleko. Just my experience. Mad Dog certainly has a lot of ads in GunBroker.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog's problem is that he will not offer any kind of a deal. His prices are 100% MSRP.

I called him on it once and was insulted for my trouble: "Maybe you just can't afford one of these. If you think you can get a better price, go ahead."

Nice sales technique.

Needless to say, I did go elsewhere and got a much better price. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also recommend Aleko at Heritage Arms.

He knows his Blasers and is great to deal with.

He hunts and shoots them all the time.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have purchused an R 93, then a professional stock and several barrels from Heritage Arms. Plus of course various bolt heads, bolts and scopemounts. I may sell all my other bolt action rifles. Aleko is fair to deal with and knows his stuff. Can't go wrong picking up an R 93,,wish I had one years ago.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect if I still lived in SLC in close proximity to Heritage, I'd own one now. I spoke at length with Aleko yesterday and he was very helpful. I particularly appreciated his invitation to come out there and shoot his Blasers.