Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R93
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I have always toyed with he idea of getting a Blaser R93. My thought was that I would trade off my .375 H&H and perhaps some other guns on an R93 with both a 30-06 barrel and a 9,3X62 barrel. Two guns, one gun case....something you could hunt the world with. However, this morning I checked on the prices. I wanted a semi-weight so I could get the 9,3 up to at least seven pounds. They want $3300 for a semi-weight professional and the extra barrel in 30-06 is $800! The standard weight professional is $2500. Scope mounts are $310!!! These may be great guns and I love the concept but they are so ridiculously overpirced that I just abandoned the whole idea.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, everything you say is correct, except that you could buy a used gun. Having said that, I recently acquired a Blaser R93 in 375 H&H, and just bought a 300WM barrel for it. I love the gun. It hanldes well and the concept is just unique.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I know it is expensive, but think of it this way.

Have you priced a true take down rifle? Not cheap! The Blaser system is the best system I've shot. You can take it down and put it together and it is right where you set it. It is pricey and Blaser can be a pain in the ass to deal with.

Find a good dealer, I use Aleko at Heritage arms www.heritagearms.net , he is honest and can help you navagate the waters of Blaser goods.

Once you shoot one you will not go back. I have 2 frames and 8 barrels from 222-375.

If you would like to talk to someone PM me and I'll help you as much as I can.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
wrong thread!

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, you are fortunate to live in a part of the World, where guns in general are pretty (if not dirt) cheap. No, the Blasers are not inexpensive (even in times when the US$ is not as low as it currently is), but they offer some pretty unique options - e.g. the ability to carry one fully loaded in the field in absolute safety.

Once you get over the sticker shock, you are likely to find the guns will grow on you. They do on 99% of the people who buy them. Most Blaser owners start out with a single gun, but add barrels and stocks as time passes. I'm currently up to about 4 stock/bolt assemblies and 11 or 12 barrels. I have hardly hunted with anything but my Blasers since I got my first in 1994 (or so).

Start slowly, and add a few bits and pieces over time. You won't regret it.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Dave

The more "inexpensive" way to get into a Blaser is to put one together yourself. That is truly the beauty of the Blaser system is that all the parts are available separately. Also, good, clean, used guns do show up occasionally. If you are really interested in learning more about Blasers, there is a site that is a wealth of information.
http://www.blaserpro.com/forums/

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jeff is right, right now one of our members has a prestige frame for sale right now for 1250. You could put together a complete rifle with nice scope in wood for under 3,000.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Everything made in Europe is expensive these days and Blasers are no exception.

I got my R93s early, however, and have two rifles and five barrels for little more investment than one rifle and barrel set would cost today. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here the current price of an R93 with basic wood stock is 2600-2700€, +100€ for magnums, that means 3900-4100$. I consider them grossly overpriced and I will NEVER buy one, no matter how they are accurate, solid or dependable.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another option is the Mauser 03.
It has similar features of the blaser, but with a lift bolt and the mounts have a better locking system imo.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I only have 3 R93 Blasers and 12 or 13 barrels in the past I have had as many as 7 and 15 barrels.
While they are not the only game in town they are one of the best.
The consistant accuracy from caliber to caliber is the best of any factory rifle I have been exposed to evan the 6x62 Freres that I have heard is hard to load for was absolutly no challenge.
So far the 9.3x62,7x64,6.5x55 and the 300WSM have been the most boreing rounds of all ragged one hole groups to perfect little cloverleafs are all I am getting with about any thing I throw together.
They do seem to be a little pricey but I would not want to be dead and gone and have missed the oppurtunity to fondle some fine shooting rifles after all being a sportsman is not always about being practical and not paying for the best.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
It has similar features of the blaser, but with a lift bolt and the mounts have a better locking system imo.

Why is Mauser's M03 bolt lift system better than Blaser's collet system?

Have you shouldered the M03. They are clubs that do not balance nearly as good as R93's.

What's wrong with the R93 mounts. Have yours ever moved or shifted?

Smiler

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave

I bought my first Blaser R93 so I would have an accurate takedown bolt rifle that would fit in the dame case as a double rifle for a trip to Alaska.

The more I shot the R 93 the more I liked it.

Now it is the only Bolt rifle I hunt with.

I have extensively fired several recivers and several barrels. All have performed perfectly and been very accurate.
The rifle always goes back to zero, and the scope mounts always do to.

In fact I have found all the Blaser products to be first rate.

They are kind of "spendy" but they give great performance.

The Blaser Saddle mount is the best factory scope mount, bar none IMHO.

If you want to see just how good their D99 Duo Drillings shoot check our www.blaserpro.com, in the double rifle combination forum under the "I'M Excited" thread.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 340Wby:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Why is Mauser's M03 bolt lift system better than Blaser's collet system?

Have you shouldered the M03. They are clubs that do not balance nearly as good as R93's.

What's wrong with the R93 mounts. Have yours ever moved or shifted?

Smiler

Don't get me wrong, I love my Blaser but some people like the 98 style bolt and will not accept the straight pull system.
Although I am happy with the Blaser mounts, I have had the leavers brush open against brush.
I have shouldered the M03 and like it.

ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I held the same reasoning and came up with this "traveling kit" in .300 Win Mag & 9,3x62 :

May I add that it serves splendidly.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff is right, right now one of our members has a prestige frame for sale right now for 1250. You could put together a complete rifle with nice scope in wood for under 3,000.

I hope someone buys it soon. I'm having problems dealing with the temptation.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, who ever has the prestige for sale for $1250 , would you please send me a PM. I have looked for it in the classifieds and can't seem to find it.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave that is me I will send you a PM

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Lord forgive me, I just can't seem to give up on this Blaser thing!

Ok guys, if I do decide to try and put this project together, got any tips and pointers like which frame to get for an ought six and a 9,3X62, fixed or detachable mounts, where to get the best deal, that sort of stuff.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
That's an easy order to fill. One R93 in .30-06 (or 9,3x62) + a spare bbl. + magazine in 9,3x62 (or .30-06). Add a scope and mount for each bbl. and you're set. The frame is universal(from .222 to .416) and both "standard" calibers share the same bolt head. Once both scopes are zeroed on their respective bbl., caliber change will take a few minutes with 100% return to zero.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Andre:

You could help me out a bit. If I send you some dollars, will you trade me straight across for Euros? Wink That would make the deal not pinch so much!

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Ok guys, if I do decide to try and put this project together, got any tips and pointers like which frame to get for an ought six and a 9,3X62, fixed or detachable mounts, where to get the best deal, that sort of stuff.

Dave

If it was me, and I was a tad short on cash, I'd make the following compromises:

1) I'd forget about the semi-weight barrel for the 9.3x62. The semi-weight barrel does make the recoil come back a bit straighter, but the regular contour barrel is just fine to shoot in 9.3x62, and it improves the balance of the gun markedly (compared to the semi-weight). Additionally, the regular contour barrel will save you a few hundred $.

2) I'd just get a regular "Offroad" stock (as opposed to the "Professional" - look at Andre's picture above). That will also save you a a few hundred $. I have used the regular "Offroad" stock for years, and never felt particularly disadvantaged. In fact,I still hunt with my Offroads even now that I have acquired a Professional. (All the above assuming you are not planning to buy the wooden, second hand stock mentioned previously in this post).

As far as mounts is concerned, the QD mounts are the only way to go! I have one "fixed" mount, and it irritates me no end every time I have to take off that scope - "now where is the right key?" etc etc. QD is the only way to go, and the last time I bought, they cost the same as the fixed mounts.

If you are happy you will stay with regular contour barrels (as opposed to the semi-weight), I'd get a stock with a forearm inletted for the standard contour. The semi weight contour forearm will also take the standard contour barrel, but the gaps look a bit ungainly.

Finally, about supplier... I have had great service from Aleko from www.heritagearms.net Aleko posts here, and he is a true rifle nut - good to chat to and a reliable business partner.

Good luck - you won't regret it.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mike, I am sending you a PM.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very new to rifle shooting but in the end went with an R93 because I liked the way it just felt and handled right. Of course that is a personal thing but the R93 even feels like it recoils less for me and they really are very "pointy" rifles.

I went for the Offroad stock and actually preferred it to the Professional stocks that I tried so you may find that you can save some money there and actually not be at any disadvantage.

The Blaser scope mounts do seem expensive but they just work. When I was looking for around and asking about them on this forum people were saying "they just work" and I couldn't get my head around it. However, now that I've tried them I also can find little more to say than that they just work, and they work well even for this beginner.

As someone new to the sport I can't say the Blaser is better, or worse, than anything else but of all the rifles I've had the chance to shoot or handle it feels pretty good to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mho
Good post.
Dave, contact Aleko, tell him what you need.

However, BE WARNED, once you experience a Blaser R 93, ALL other bolt rifles become obsolete.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The quick detach scope mount is definitely the way to go. Also, if you get a scope with target turrets, you can use the same scope with more than one cartridge; just record the scope settings so you can adjust it for your different barrels.

The Kick Stop option is also very nice. It tames 375 H&H Mag. recoil to the quite comfortable level.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not use the QD mounts for my Blaser. My Blaser case holds two barrels with scopes and mounts, so I have two barrels, two mounts and two scopes. That way I don't have to worry about re-zeroing the scope. However, the basic (non QD) mounts are not cheap!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
aleko is the blaser man!!!! give him a call, I know him and his dad, some of the nicest people you will meet,

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I have had a very good experience so far with Hendershots as well. The talked to me at length and sent me a big catalog of Blaser products. They also have an excellent web site. Does anyone have any experience with Hendershots?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Here is why Blaser should start building guns in the USA:

"Worker productivity in the non-farm-business sector soared in the third quarter."

"The Labor Department this morning reported that productivity rose at a revised 6.3% annual rate last quarter, above a previously reported rise of 4.9% and higher than the 2.2% increase in the second quarter."

"Productivity measures the amount of output per hour of work."

"Unit labor costs, which help show wage-inflation pressure, fell 2%"

If they moved some of their production here, it would substantailly lower there costs, make them more competitive in the American market and allow them to garner more market share. That's exactly what Honda, Toyota, and the Japanese care makers have done. Heck, I would bet they could build guns cheaper here and ship them to Europe at a much reduced cost. Build them with dollars and sell them in Europe for Euros!

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Unless Blaser brought their same craftsmen over here to do the building, you would end up with just another American gun producer with just another cheap American made rifle.

I am, not happy, but willing to pay for the German craftsmanship.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jeff, if Toyota can do it, so can Blaser!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what percentage of Blaser's sales are in the USA? The other benefit would be perhaps some immunity from currency fluctuations?
Peter.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Here is why Blaser should start building guns in the USA:

"Worker productivity in the non-farm-business sector soared in the third quarter."

"The Labor Department this morning reported that productivity rose at a revised 6.3% annual rate last quarter, above a previously reported rise of 4.9% and higher than the 2.2% increase in the second quarter."

"Productivity measures the amount of output per hour of work."

"Unit labor costs, which help show wage-inflation pressure, fell 2%"

If they moved some of their production here, it would substantailly lower there costs, make them more competitive in the American market and allow them to garner more market share. That's exactly what Honda, Toyota, and the Japanese care makers have done. Heck, I would bet they could build guns cheaper here and ship them to Europe at a much reduced cost. Build them with dollars and sell them in Europe for Euros!

Dave

it all sounds well and good, however I don't think they really care, they are not trying to compete at the low end price point, they are after the high end market which doesn't really care if the gun costs $1800 or $2500, I guess they do care however its not a make or break the sale things, also there is perceived value in something that just costs alot, also add in and don't discount the fact there is a certain misteeke about things make in germany as being high quaility. Blasers are fine rifles aleko has a shit load of incredible hes fired with them, I have not doubt that last thing someone will be disappointed with is accuracy,

look at Audi and Mercedes these cars if you research are actually some of the worst cars made in the entire world as far as reliability VW even more so, another words they suck, people keep buying them because of the german misteek.

blasers don't suck, hopefully the above analogy isn't misleading but it illustrates a point about german made products, BTW I like my optics made in germany Big Grin

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a little bit of the problem is that if Blaser never sold another rifle in the US it would be no skin off of their nose the market share in the US is so small they would not evan miss us.

My opinion is that Blaser USA does a horrible job of promoting Blasers in the US they do zero advertising and they leave it totally up to the dealers to promote the products and the dealers have a hard enough job keeping their heads above water as it is. Plus if they catch a dealer selling for less than sugested retail the rip them a new asshole and threaten to pull their dealership.
Until Blaser in germany figures this out and gets someone to activelly sell the products and give the dealers a little support they will continue to be less than 1% of the market share in the US

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ron, when are you coming my way again?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Guys:

To get back to the issue at hand. The R93 is the most accurate factory production rifle made today, bar none. It's not cheap, but quality never is.

But I am a bit biased, I started BlaserPro.com I like them so much.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f224:

But I am a bit biased, I started www.BalserPro.com because I like them so much.

BalserPro is Daves new website for retired male pornstars

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f224:
Guys:

To get back to the issue at hand. The R93 is the most accurate factory production rifle made today, bar none. It's not cheap, but quality never is.

But I am a bit biased...

Capt'n Dave

I really hate to take issue with you on the "THE most accurate production rifle" claim, but since I own both a Blaser R-93 and a Sauer 202, I must disagree. Yes, the R-93 definitely is a super accurate rifle, but mine is not any more accurate than my Sauer 202. I hate to say it in this thread, but (thanks to Ron's encouraging me to get the 202) my bias leans toward the Sauer.

Versatility is a horse of a different color. The R-93 takes the "most versatile" title hands down.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll second that. I have both : R93 in .222 Rem, .300 Win Mag and 9,3x62 + Sauer 202 in 7x64 and .30-06. All were sub-MOA (5 shots) out of the box but the 202 might be (a hair) more accurate. In terms of versatility, the Blaser has no contender.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.