THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Pre-64 model 70 featherweight butt stock shape variations?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 model 70 featherweight butt stock shape variations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I once ran across a pre-64 Win model 70 in 308 Winchester that had a featherweight barrel (I don’t recall if it actually said featherweight on the barrel, but it certainly had a featherweight contour), and the stock had a low straight taper comb. The shop keeper said that it was made in 1954. All of the pre-64 feather weights that I have encountered have a hump in the comb of the butt stock. Was this actually a featherweight rifle, or did Winchester make some pre-64 308 rifles with featherweight contour barrels that were not considered to be true featherweight model rifles? Like I said, I don’t recall if the barrel on this particular rifle’s barrel said featherweight or not, but it had a featherweight contour barrel. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why they wouldn't put whatever into whatever was handy and get it out the door.

I have a Remington adl in a bdl stock that come that way from the factory.

I would also imagine that back then getting a rifle in that configuration was nothing more than a phone call away.
before that you just wrote Winchester a letter saying what you wanted.
they wrote back with a price and you shipped them a check.
pretty much everything from a plain jane matte finish, to 1-2K worth of engraving and claro walnut on the same 79 dollar model 70 action.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They came in low comb, and high hump, fwts were mostly early guns, they produced quite a few, but are hard to find. I have both, prefer the low comb for irons and scope, doesn't bother me in the least and is best for irons..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info fellas.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .358 came from the factory with a low comb stock. The .243 came with the Monte Carlo style. The .270, .308, and the .30’06 could be had with either. Of course the last one made in .264 Win. Mag. Was only available with the Monte Carlo stock, and was the only Featherwieght that had a recoil pad. Which was the later vented style.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the featherweight came out in 1952 and had the low-comb stocks. they transitioned to the high-combs over a few years. The featheweights were made till the pre-64s ended in 63, so the vast percent of pre-64 M70 featherweights, if in factory form, will have the hi-comb stocks. The earliest feathweights had the aluminum buttplates and the later ones had the hard plastic.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My 1953 .308 FWt.

Heavy use wore the finish so much that I had to have the wood and metal worked over a few years ago.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Mine's a 53 in .308 as well. Same stock ^^^ but with Aluminum butt plate and lots of wear.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Feather weight did in fact Come out in 1952. At that time they were available with both types of stocks. The Monte Carlo, as well as the low comb. Most low comb Featherwieghts will have the 22K rear sight. High combs made before 1955 will have the 69 Marbles rear sight. After that date a Lyman 16A will be found. Interestingly I have a 1955 Winchester catalog that shows alow comb Feather wieght with a Lyman 16A. That shows that this could also be found on these fine rifles.

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity (and a little off-topic), what did the featherweight M70s weigh? Also, did they have alloy bottom metal to get the weight down?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 165 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester cataloged them at 6 1/2 pounds. Yes the trigger guard, and floor plate were alloy. The butt stock was drilled as well for wieght loss. Interestly the first Feather weights had a solid bolt handle. This was soon changed to the drilled style that is commonly seen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good info Bo Rich: yes, the transitions from low-comb to high comb, bolt knobs, etc. apparently lasted for quite some time: years in some cases. I suppose the same was true from the pre-war to to transition rifles when it came to little details. It makes it interesting to the collector, or the user for that matter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old beat up 30-06 fwt with a low comb, and a monte carlo stock on my .308 fwt, I would cut the Monte Carlo comb off except its the prettiest piece of wood to come out of Winchester I've ever seen,a deep red matrix with flowing dark chocolate streaks and curls, almost maroon...The low combs are becoming hard to come by it seems to me.FWT wts came in 243, 270, 308, 30-06, 358Win, 7x57 very rare, best I recall off hand.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has a .308 Feather wieght Monte Carlo stock with beautiful tiger strips. My main rifle for over 30 years has been a first year 30'06 (1955) that has a Monte Carlo stock. A 2-7 Leuopold scope is mounted on the rifle. I like the Monte Carlo for using a scope, but that is just me. For the collector the low comb has always been desirable, and scarce.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the low comb as I can shoot irons and scope, something that is a must for me..I can't handle irons with a high comb...grew up back in the day when irons ruled, never changed but do like a 4X Leupold or a 2x7x28 Leupold variable that's the same dimensions of the 4X re: the "28" as opposed to todays "31"

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you the Monte Carlo stock is too high for iron sights. The low comb is a little too low for me when using a scope, but I can make do. I like to get a little more of my cheek on the stock. My .375 is a Standard with a low comb stock. It has claw mounts with a Pecar of Berlin scope. A nice setup. A Model 70 with the High Comb stock would be difficult to use in the above with iron sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I'm sure of and is seldom taken into consideration is the human body can adapt to about any gun if used enough! I grew up with low comb 54s and 70s and Savage 99s and never knew the high comb existed and for that I'm grateful. Over those early years a lot of high combed guns got the benefit of a rasp, as all good guns were equiped with a set of irons for a rainy day or whatever, we came into the 20th century with that benefit.You can't shoot irons with a high comb!

Besides that a low comb is just prettier to the eye as opposed to the hunchback...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I prefer the low comb as I can shoot irons and scope, something that is a must for me..I can't handle irons with a high comb...grew up back in the day when irons ruled, never changed but do like a 4X Leupold or a 2x7x28 Leupold variable that's the same dimensions of the 4X re: the "28" as opposed to todays "31"

I guess that’s where I’m at. When my eyes go completely south I may feel differently, but I love irons. I also agree with your comment on the good looks of low comb rifles. I do hunt with a M721 restocked to a humped back, and it works great, but it is hideous to look at.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
I have a 30-06 54 FW, and found a custom stock with
cross bolts and Niedner BS and skeleton grip cap checked. That and the original stock.

I was fortunate to find it in 30-06, well priced.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a very nice 1955 featherweight, ‘06 chambered, with the low, straight-comb stock, from the Cabela’s in Northglen. My first pre-64! I think I payed about market value. I may hunt with it, but if nothing else, I’m hoping it’s a sound investment. Our commies are killing the dollar.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
good mod 70s are a really good investment, and continue to increase in value day by day.

even though I don,t care for the Monte Carlo stocks they are the most popular with most of todays younger generation, but they'll get smart sooner of later! Wink

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

even though I don,t care for the Monte Carlo stocks they are the most popular with most of todays younger generation, but they'll get smart sooner of later! Wink

Well considering the Monte Carlo stock has been popular since the 1950’s the so called younger generation isn’t so young anymore! Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and maybe not smarter any more!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120