New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1894 in 357 Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings All! I'm considering buying a new Winchester Model 1894 chambered for .357 Magnum cartridge. I used to have a similar rifle in Marlin and loved it but wonder if anyone has tried the Winchester Mod. 94 in this cartridge.

Am especially interested in accuracy with cast and jacketed bullets plus overall functioning of weapon. Any first hand knowledge would help me make up my little mind. Thanks P45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of it, but I'll let you know that there is one on the shelf here in Deming priced at $280 if your interested. It's the longer barreled 1984 Cowboy I think? Owner is a cowboy shooter. Said it's a micro grooved barrel if that means anything.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too hasty, it's a used Marlin 1894 Cowboy with a 24" tube I think.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for trying, Jesse. I've got three located. Just wondered what results people were having with them.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Marlin levers and a winchester lver and I much prefer Marlins.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd hunt around for a good used one without the ridiculous hammer block safety.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not find the hammer block safety a problem, you can just leave it off, you could probaly solder it in the off postion if you hated it that much.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Pecos! I've got one in 44 mag and like it, but that wicked stock design can fatten your lip if you hug it too close with heavy loads. It looks kind of weird how thin the barrel is too. A guy showed it to me years ago who carried it in his truck and never looked at it much-about half of the surface metal was rusted. I took pity on it and offered $150. It looks almost new now.
Like some other big game capable firearms I own I haven't hunted with it as yet, but will this year.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
I do not find the hammer block safety a problem, you can just leave it off, you could probaly solder it in the off postion if you hated it that much.

Why can't they just offer them as options like air conditioning and power seats? Probably because the ones with the detestable thingy would not sell.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I simply HATE those hammer blocking, ugly-as-sin safeties!!

I don�t buy a LA with such an abomination, this also applies to Marlins.

I don�t think the .357 chambering was made without those safeties, if somebody knows, tell me, I will look for such a piece then.

I would opt for the Rossi Win 92 copy in .357. This should eventually be available with octagon or short ( 16" ) barrels.

BTW I can live very well with the tang safety on the ( Japan made ) Winchester models. I�m also very happy I have some of those with the Browning label without any safety :-)))

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote