New
Find
Notify
Tools

North fork CPS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used a .338, 358, or 375 North Fork Cup Point Solid on elk sized game. Now, being, technically a solid KY would treat it as a FMJ. That kind of bullet being illegal in KY for hunting.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Does KY also consider the TSX to be a solid?

I ask because like the Cup Point from Norfork, it is a monometal bullet, designed for limited expansion.

I just returned from a buffalo hunt where I used the Cup Points. They expanded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One time I shot one into a dead Cape Buff if that counts for size comparison.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

I ask because like the Cup Point from Norfork, it is a monometal bullet, designed for limited expansion.

TSX would be considered a hollow point. Thus, legal. The idea is to keep folks from using military fmjs, but the reg is poorly written.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:

I have no doubt they are awesome for Buffalo. I am thinking of a good weight mono that would be useful on game from 200-800 pounds.

I mean expand and give good tissue damage in lesser game by using the word preform.

If they made a 250-275 tsx in 358, I would be all over that. I have a a couple boxes of hammer 275s, but they are very target looking.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, I would not risk a ticket and losing a fine rifle over using something that could be claimed to be a soild. Most any bullet will kill deer and the barnes,nosler or several others will work fine if you are lucky enough to get an elk tag.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree w that. I would use them in Europe or out West if allowed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of bullets without solid in the name.

Just shows the foolishness of ammo and caliber restrictions.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot buffalo, Bison, elk and deer with the cup points for Mike when he first came out with them and reported them to Mike (original owner of NF) and I have used them a lot of times since, liked them in .338, 375, 404, 416,and 450-400 and perhaps my 470.. I can't think of a better bullet, a solid that expands, how can you beat that, its the best of both worlds..I was amazed how well it killed deer, enough internal damage for short runs and more penetration than I ever needed, not a lot of ruined meat, and a high perentage of instant kills in the lighter stuff. the perfect Buffalo, Hippo and elephant bullet IMO..Mike was years before his time. He did with a rifle bullet what Keith did with a pistol bullet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason a lot of states outlawed "solids".

Is all about being anti gun.

See if you outlaw FMJ's. Non expanding ect.

Then when it comes time to outlaw Quote Military Ammo.

People can not used the excuse that I am using it for hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am a big fan of this bullet design.
Michael458 educated me on these. I have not shot any animals with them. But, for my intended use the 325 & 350 grain .458's seem ideal. I have the 325's for the 45-70, and the 350's for the 458 Winchester & Lott.

Your recovered ones look picture perfect to me.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot a couple Buffalo with them in .470.

Excellent penetration and the buff dropped pretty quickly.

That said, it’s not a big expander, but it does expand.

I’d be explaining to the game and fish folks that it’s an eco friendly monometal controlled expansion bullet, not a FMJ.

It’s hollow point is very wide, guarantees it’s expansion…

I’d have no concerns other than price (and if it feeds) using it on any game.

Legalities are a different matter.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Will not fly. The reg is clear in its wording. If a Game Warden wanted to cause me problems, I would be in violation. I can’t take the heat as an asst. prosecutor and lawyer.

I am not going to use this bullet in Ky. I was thinking of using in our west for elk and Europe for Reds, boar, and fallow. However, I do want some penetration on that class of game.

The reg would have to change bc I would think about using in KY. Really, would not use it over a 275 Woodleigh PP or 280 Aframe. Both have devastated deer at close range straight down dead w lug shots. My best buck is on the wall thanks to a 280 grain Aframe. Deader quicker than a bucket of extra crispy.

Here is another stupid one. I love a 3/5 bismuth shot blend. Same pellet count as 3 inch 4 shot. That load is illegal bc they Commission thinks it does not have the pellet count. However, you can use lead 2 3/4 inch 28 no 4 shot. That has significantly less Pellets. I have been trying to change it for years.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
CEB?

I have a 400H&H and have bought North Fork, Hammer, Hornady and CEB to try and test. In most of my rifles I shoot TSX's and I see little need for anything else. I can't get any .411 TSX's, if I could have I wouldn't of bought other.

Help me out here, why the cup point solid for Out West or Europe? What you're using is already devastating right?

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:
quote:

I am a big fan of this bullet design.
Michael458 educated me on these. I have not shot any animals with them. But, for my intended use the 325 & 350 grain .458's seem ideal. I have the 325's for the 45-70, and the 350's for the 458 Winchester & Lott.

Your recovered ones look picture perfect to me.
I wonder if rather than call them expanding bullets, the term riveting would be more descriptive? Similar to a true solid that deforms slightly in to a rivet shape.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not suggesting you just use it, I’m suggesting that you (and as a prosecutor you are in a pretty good position to argue with them…) that they need to reevaluate their position. The bullet does have a hollow point, it does expand, and thus is essentially identical practically to the allowed TSX. It’s just some dimensional difference. Get that through to them, and they just might change it.

Similarly, I don’t get the issue with 3/5 blend and pellet count. Do they not allow BB, T, or F steel shot? The pellet count in even factory 10 ga mag loads is pretty paltry.

#2 2.75 shells probably are inadequate numbers by that definition… I don’t know of any state that doesn’t allow #2 steel.

If you point out that if you were prosecuting the case that you would have to drop it due to the lack of difference, they might listen. Face it, lots of folks call the TSX a monometal solid expanding bullet.

quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
That Will not fly. The reg is clear in its wording. If a Game Warden wanted to cause me problems, I would be in violation. I can’t take the heat as an asst. prosecutor and lawyer.

I am not going to use this bullet in Ky. I was thinking of using in our west for elk and Europe for Reds, boar, and fallow. However, I do want some penetration on that class of game.

The reg would have to change bc I would think about using in KY. Really, would not use it over a 275 Woodleigh PP or 280 Aframe. Both have devastated deer at close range straight down dead w lug shots. My best buck is on the wall thanks to a 280 grain Aframe. Deader quicker than a bucket of extra crispy.

Here is another stupid one. I love a 3/5 bismuth shot blend. Same pellet count as 3 inch 4 shot. That load is illegal bc they Commission thinks it does not have the pellet count. However, you can use lead 2 3/4 inch 28 no 4 shot. That has significantly less Pellets. I have been trying to change it for years.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I’m not suggesting you just use it, I’m suggesting that you (and as a prosecutor you are in a pretty good position to argue with them…) that they need to reevaluate their position. The bullet does have a hollow point, it does expand, and thus is essentially identical practically to the allowed TSX. It’s just some dimensional difference. Get that through to them, and they just might change it.

Similarly, I don’t get the issue with 3/5 blend and pellet count. Do they not allow BB, T, or F steel shot? The pellet count in even factory 10 ga mag loads is pretty paltry.

#2 2.75 shells probably are inadequate numbers by that definition… I don’t know of any state that doesn’t allow #2 steel.

If you point out that if you were prosecuting the case that you would have to drop it due to the lack of difference, they might listen. Face it, lots of folks call the TSX a monometal solid expanding bullet.

quote:

All I see on the KY website is you cant use full metal jacket bullets. CPS bullets are not full metal jacket and they are designed to expand - the degree of course is different than say a TSX, but where in the rules does KY state what is an acceptable degree of expansion? They seem a bit behind...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the actual regs they define what a full metal jacket is being a solid.

If the cavity extended into the bullet, it would be fine. The problem is the nose is just dished out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a solid is defined as a FMJ, it isn’t.

It does have a hollow cavity that extends into the nose of the bullet. I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual volume of the HP is actually greater than a conventional TSX bullet.

It’s designed to expand in a controlled manner.

I get not wanting to use it until you get clarification in writing from the department, but in this case, the department is wrong.

The CPS is identical in form and function, just not degree to every other monometal hunting bullet. What’s more, its design tends to lead to straight tracking in tissue more so than spitzer style bullets, so it has an actual advantage.

Yes, the easy route is to use what they are erroneously insisting has to be used, but stick up for what makes sense.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
If a solid is defined as a FMJ, it isn’t.

It does have a hollow cavity that extends into the nose of the bullet. I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual volume of the HP is actually greater than a conventional TSX bullet.

It’s designed to expand in a controlled manner.

I get not wanting to use it until you get clarification in writing from the department, but in this case, the department is wrong.

The CPS is identical in form and function, just not degree to every other monometal hunting bullet. What’s more, its design tends to lead to straight tracking in tissue more so than spitzer style bullets, so it has an actual advantage.

Yes, the easy route is to use what they are erroneously insisting has to be used, but stick up for what makes sense.

It would certainly be interesting to show the authorities a pic of Todd's spent bullets above and ask them if that was an expanding bullet and legal in KY. If they said "no" ask them to clarify why.

I think the idea of an expanding solid is brilliant.

As matter of fact, how many pictuires have we seen of a Nosler partition with the front end blown off and the guy says, "did its job"?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the actual regs they define what a full metal jacket is being a solid.

If the cavity extended into the bullet, it would be fine. The problem is the nose is just dished out.

i keep waiting for cali, who has banned lead bullets, to start calling monometal bullets as "solids" and therefore banned as those are armor piercing

There is a huge difference between a "solid" (let's be honest, MOST solids are also FMJ) and expanding monometal bullets

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I am currently in comms with a Conservation Office Sergeant for Kentucky about this and will report what he says.

Call me curious...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:

I have no doubt they are awesome for Buffalo. I am thinking of a good weight mono that would be useful on game from 200-800 pounds.

I mean expand and give good tissue damage in lesser game by using the word preform.

If they made a 250-275 tsx in 358, I would be all over that. I have a a couple boxes of hammer 275s, but they are very target looking.

Help us identify a "target looking" bullet please.
FYI: Hammer bullets are purpose-built to kill shit and they do just that!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Here is their response:

Baxter, Thank you for that additional info. So, for our deer regulations 301 KAR 2:172 Section 3(2)(b)2 is states that it must be “designed to expand upon impact” Title 301 Chapter 2 Regulation 172 • Kentucky Administrative Regulations • Legislative Research Commission and our elk regulations 301 KAR 2:132 Section 8(12)(e)2 it states “Bullets of .270 caliber or larger designed to expand upon impact” Title 301 Chapter 2 Regulation 132 • Kentucky Administrative Regulations • Legislative Research Commission. After looking at the North Fork technologies website, it states the Cup Point was created as an “expanding solid”. So, I would say the North Fork Technologies Cup Point bullet is legal to use to hunt deer and elk in Kentucky. I understand wanting to use a bullet that penetrates and retains most of it’s weight for large game. I enjoy hog hunting in the lower US and use a bullet that expands but stays together and does not fragment all over the place. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might mention that GS Customs made a flat nose
solid that was awesome at one time..the rest followed suit..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a solid is required, would there be any reason not to use a flat nose solid other than the rifle would not feed it reliably ?
Thanks in advance.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have stopped using solids years ago.

Only required for elephants.

Nothing else.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have stopped using solids years ago.

Only required for elephants.

Nothing else.

Cup points are not quite solids. They are a hybrid. In point of fact the end result looks very much like walterhogs

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Here is their response:

Baxter, Thank you for that additional info. So, for our deer regulations 301 KAR 2:172 Section 3(2)(b)2 is states that it must be “designed to expand upon impact” Title 301 Chapter 2 Regulation 172 • Kentucky Administrative Regulations • Legislative Research Commission and our elk regulations 301 KAR 2:132 Section 8(12)(e)2 it states “Bullets of .270 caliber or larger designed to expand upon impact” Title 301 Chapter 2 Regulation 132 • Kentucky Administrative Regulations • Legislative Research Commission. After looking at the North Fork technologies website, it states the Cup Point was created as an “expanding solid”. So, I would say the North Fork Technologies Cup Point bullet is legal to use to hunt deer and elk in Kentucky. I understand wanting to use a bullet that penetrates and retains most of it’s weight for large game. I enjoy hog hunting in the lower US and use a bullet that expands but stays together and does not fragment all over the place. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about it.

So it seems the bullet manufacturer make the determination. If they say it expands it is a expanding bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So to stir

Here's the definition from Serria. For their match-king bullets.

While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts.

Even more so I make my own bullets I can call them any I want.

This again high-lite the foolishness' of caliber and bullet restriction laws.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Here is their response:

So it seems the bullet manufacturer make the determination. If they say it expands it is an expanding bullet.

I also sent them pics of recovered bullets. No problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread has taken the no reasoning route!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
This thread has taken the no reasoning route!!

What's new Ray. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not going to use this bullet in KY or on game less than 300 pounds.

All I want to know is has anyone used this bullet on game from about 300 pounds to 800 pounds? If so, how did it work/expand?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If the “no reasoning” comment was in reference to my additions I’ll plainly say that it was merely to correct an incorrect statement made in the first post. I think that has validity since the inference is clear that the bullet wouldn’t be used in KY because it was illegal, which it is not. Otherwise bringing KY into the post would not be necessary.

Have fun in the sandbox.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
So to stir

Here's the definition from Serria. For their match-king bullets.

While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts.

Even more so I make my own bullets I can call them any I want.

This again high-lite the foolishness' of caliber and bullet restriction laws.

I have used Sierra Match Kings, 180 grain 30 caliber, in my 30/404 at 3450 fps.

Killed every animal I shot with one shot.

Bullets never recovered as they just disengrated .

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Killed every animal I shot with one shot

Isn't that the idea of shooting an animal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear the story on those 3 CPS bullets from the buff hunt. Caliber, shot placement, etc.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
I'd like to hear the story on those 3 CPS bullets from the buff hunt. Caliber, shot placement, etc.

Full report found here:

https://forums.accuratereloadi...901002672#9901002672

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, great report. Since there are no .410 TSXs, the CPS looks like a great alternative for the 450/400 on buffalo. I'm already a big fan of the NF softs for my 35 Whelen.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote