Find
Notify
Tools

30/06 Found the right powder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Here's some 200 yard targets. but just 3 shots per target. From the CZ.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's some great shooting Bill!!!! thumb

My Shoot-N-C target above (previous page) was actually a 100Yd target shot with my Browning BAR in 30-06.

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes First Shot thats about what it looked like. Maybe a little wider. Ten bullets!

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GLC:
Using an old Milsurp Mauser with open sights and gunshow surplus ammo, I shot at a 200 yard target one time with 10 rounds and found only one hole. It isn't that hard to do....... Razzer

Your right, it's not that hard. I did it with a beretta 9mm pistol with open sights. ONE 9mm wide hole at 200 yards. I could tell 10 bullets went through it though, because I had the target analized and the guy that did it knew what he was talking about and he said ten bullets went through. I used handloads to boot!! They were special handloads I must admit. See, my press broke so I just hammered each bullet into the case until it "felt" like they were the proper depth. The hammer made a different ping when it reached this depth. I double checked this by lining them up on a log and putting a level on top. I must also admit I used a rest also. I braced the gun on one of the 10' high stilts I was stanging on and shot while the 3 three bowling pins I was juggling was in the air. But it can be done!!!! thumb and it's not that hard.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are ALL better shooters than me!!! But that's OK, gives me a goal to work toward.

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A breeze of only 2 mph, hardly enough to notice, blowing at a right angle to the shooter, will cause the bullet to drift about 3/4" at 200 yds (for a 180 grn bullet, 2700 fps MV). I assume you had to let the barrel cool completely, because even small variations in temperature could effect POI, so during this long shooting session, there must have been virtually no wind at all, or it was exactly constant in speed and direction.
Living on the high plains of the Texas panhandle, I find that pretty amazing in itself.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes McInnis I fired two shots and let my barrel cool then fired two more did this til I fired 10
All in the same hole.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:
Yes McInnis I fired two shots and let my barrel cool then fired two more did this til I fired 10
All in the same hole.

Yes we believe you, 10 bullets, 200 yards, all in the same hole. thumb

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your definition of one hole and mine are two different things. My definition of one hole is a nice round hole one bullet diameter (or just a tad more not to be too picky) in size. To me it does NOT mean a larger ragged hole. I've shot several ragged one hole groups, but only 2 truly one hole groups (3 shots) that I can remember. But those two were simply flukes since I couldn't repeat it over and over.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You guys need to know how to shoot one hole groups at 200 yds,

There are several tried and true methods.

1. Shot a target at 200 yds, with the first bullet and miss the target on purpose with the other two shots, but don't tell anybody.

2. Shoot three shots at a target at 10 to 25 yds, with your scope on 12 power or better. Then you print your name on the target, and when no one is looking, move it out to 200 yds, and don't tell anybody.

3. Find a target in the trash can, or still having on a target board, that has a one hole group, and re set it up, put your name on it, and post it at 200 yds. Don't tell anybody.

4. Punch a hole in a target with a pencil, and then hang it up at 200 yds, and then sign your name to it. Miss the target with your 3 or 10 shots. Don't tell anybody.

These methods have been tried and trued at my local range for years. I am sure it happens at many other ranges all over the country, in fact all over the world.

With a little ingenuity, WE all can become one hole shooters by this time tomorrow!!!

Cheers and good shooting
thunderbolt

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote