Find
Notify
Tools

160 gr 270 Experience
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Curious if anyone has experience with handloading or taking game with the 160
gr NP semi-spitzer in a 270 Winchester. At 2800 fps I would think it would be a thumper.
The BC 0f .435 is pretty impressive too for a non-spitzer shape.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded these bullets in the past. Never took any came with them though.

My load was 57 gr of Alliant RL22 using CCI200 primers. Velocity from a 22" barrel was 2852 fps. Accuaracy at 100 yds was 1-1.5".

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This post didn't exactly stir up the troops - but thanks for your input - I've decided after reviewing other posts and looking at numerous manuals that I need some RL22 - thats
a good velocity for 22 inch barrel - Hope I can improve on the accuracy some - we'll see this weekend - Thanks

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<brewtcl>
posted
I have never taken any game with the load. However, I have helped my father skin numerous elk and deer that he killed with it. It was by far his favorite heavy bullet for the 270 win. I don't recall recovering even one bullet in 10+ years of game, I know this b/c I saved all that I did and do recover. I looked in his old reloading notes and he used IMR 4831.

I do think you got me interested in this bullet again. I got a few on hand I'll load them and see how they shoot. Good luck and let me know how they work for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had an uncle who used his 270 with 160 grain bullets for moose and elk.He always contended that the heavier bullets were far more effective stoppers than the lighter bullets on big animals. He was using the Imperial brand of ammunition that was made in Canada. When they stopped making the 160 gr 270 ammunition he went and bought a 30-06 for moose & elk.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting replies - I'm going to the range this weekend to test out some new loads for the 160 gr - also just glass bedded the forward 2" of the barrel on a custom 98 Mauser. Glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel earlier - so interesting to see how it all works out. Let you know Monday. Have a good weekend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman

I've still got a box of the Imperial 160 gr. I don't hunt with it but just for the heck of it, I chronographed it. Three rounds - 2645, 2631, 2636 fps. This from a custom Mauser with a 22" Douglas barrel.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried it once. Went back to 150 gr Nosler Partition @ 2800 fps. That's all I carry in my .270. Reason is it'll do anything a 130 will do and act as bear medicine if necessary. The 130 will kill a bear, but I'd rather not.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This weekend tried the 160 with RL22 and new chronograph = 2860 fps - one ragged hole for three shots and get this - 4 fps velocity spread between the three shots - and I don't weigh every charge. For all three bullet weights 130, 150 and 160 this gun much prefers RL22 for velocity, pressure and accuracy. Temp was 91 degrees.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M98 with a 24" barrel, 58grs of the original AA-3100 with a Nosler 150gr solid base gives me 3109fps, and sub 1/2 MOA accuracy.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 160 Nosler in Africa and the US and it is an excellent bullet for all game up to and including elk and Kudu...I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an Eland with one.....sorry for the late reply but I have been out of the country.

Posts: 41837 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote