Find
Notify
Tools

Point of order
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
For a while now I have been wondering why the subjects coming up here didn't mean much to me. Then it occurred to me that 6.5 and 270 calibres are by most standards smaller bores.

I guess it keeps something going on in this forum, for all that.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; it is because no one here but me and you actually knows the definition of "medium" bore rifles. 6.5 and the cartridge that should have never been developed; the 270 Win, are definitely NOT medium bores. No hate mail please; I get enough now.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Saeed has his own definitions…

But so we might be on the same page, I thought small bore historically was anything .30 and smaller (including the 8mm/7.7/303 stuff)

Mid bore was .32-.40 (roughly)

Large bore was .45 on up, until one got to artillery.

So a .416 Rigby was a big midbore… I know they always called the .375 H&H the queen of the midbores in the old English sporting literature…

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I thought small bore was anything smaller than .510

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can live with it under anyones opine, just never has been a problem with me..boring subject btw.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A small bore is a Male Piglet! Roll Eyes

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

Or about half of the posters on the Political Forum...

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

Or about half of the posters on the Political Forum...

yuck animal

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
You might try looking for medium bore content on the Big Bore forum. popcorn

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Small bore" as it applies to rifles is relative. The 37mm guns are "small bore" in the artillery world. And in the handgun world, nothing other than the rimfires are typically referred to as "small bore" (well, maybe most would apply that moniker to the .25 ACP.)

Then there is the concept of "high powered rifle". To many, this simply means anything other than a .22 rimfire.

For most of the last half of the 19th Century and the first half of the 20th century there were only "large bores", ie. .45 and up, and "small bores" which were less than .45 caliber, particularly as they were termed in Africa. Eventually the concept of "medium" bores began to be applied to popular rounds like the .375 H&H.

For Americans where both varminting and game hunting are popular, "small bore" has come to mostly mean anything of .22 caliber or less (and intended for varminting), while "medium bore" pretty much means everything larger up to around .375. Possibly when the 6mm's are in varminting configuration they many might call them "small bores", but if in a sporter intended for deer hunting then they might be considered "medium bores".

There are no hard and fast lines, and if you're in Africa a term may mean one thing while in Pennsylvania it may mean quite another. Just as my car has no "bonnet" but the identical one in Britain certainly does.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In Australian prone target shooting since WWII, small-bore was/is .22LR and big-bore .303 and 7.62mm.

For our purposes, though, even with Saeed's dictum there is some cross-over. Maybe we should define small bore as as anything up to .29 calibre and medium up to .39".

Since there are very few cartridges using those numbers, this might lead to more clarity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crbutler:
I know Saeed has his own definitions…

But so we might be on the same page, I thought small bore historically was anything .30 and smaller (including the 8mm/7.7/303 stuff)

Mid bore was .32-.40 (roughly)

Large bore was .45 on up, until one got to artillery.

So a .416 Rigby was a big midbore… I know they always called the .375 H&H the queen of the midbores in the old English sporting literature…[/QUOTE

Correct me if I am wrong, but did not Jack O’Conor coin that phrase concerning the .375 HH? Maybe, JOC learned the phrase in Africa, and in his writing made it popular?

Personally, I define medium bores at .32/8mm up to but not including 45 caliber.

I have come full circle finding the medium bores to be my favorite. I would much rather have a .35 Whelen than a 30/06.

The issue becomes at the margins. The large case 30 caliber cartridges do everything the 8mms do being 200=220 grain bullets at 2700-3000 fps. The large medium bores such as the 416 Rigby do 99 percent of what the 458-488 caliber large bores do.

We really should think in terms of cartridge and not caliber. I cannot stand when someone uses caliber for cartridge. For example,”The 300 Winchester Magnum is a strong elk caliber.” No, it is a strong elk cartridge. This assumes one believes that.

Long live the medium bores. When you think about it, does any class of cartridges have so much variety? Mild, all around calibers capable of handling medium to heavy bullets for better play on recoil over a magnum 30 caliber. These cartridges having trajectories matching the 30/06 and 6.5 creedmore. I am thinking the 333 Jeffery, 318 WR, 30/06 A-Square, 35 Whelen, 35 Rigby cartridges, to the 338 WM, and 358 Norma, and 9.3x62. Then we have the 340 WBY, 358 STA, 375 magnum class that are real all arounders meaning SD of over 300 with lead core bullets, 4000 plus foot pounds, and trajectory matching or exceeding the 30/06 or 6.5 creedmore with their common hunting bullets. Finally, we have the 400s which provide a sustainable increase in bullet weight and momentum if not actual foot pounds of energy.

Some can take advantage of serious, realistic hunting long range like the 340 WBY, 358 STA, and 8mm REM Magnum, or 8x68S.

There is simply noting the smaller calibers can do on game that the medium bores are not better at.

Again, we should think of cartridge more than caliber. There is a gulf between the 38/55 and the 375 HH magnum.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
"We really should think in terms of cartridge and not caliber. I cannot stand when someone uses caliber for cartridge. For example,”The 300 Winchester Magnum is a strong elk caliber."

^^^ Completely agree. Bastardization of terms that really annoys me as well.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody needs to get a real job, quite drinking, and take a cold shower. two Aspirin and a nap

jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I thought big bore was 4 bore and up, while everything less was small bore.

I just own small bores, 22 through 54.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Somebody needs to get a real job, quite drinking, and take a cold shower. two Aspirin and a nap

jumping

Getting persnickety about what is a Big Bore. Opportunities for sarcasm abound. Wink

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only bore I have/had was a mother-in-law....

And she is a BIG bore....

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do not confuse the Military definition of large and small bore, with civilian hunting definition. They are totally different.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote