New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym SR30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of getting a new 6.5x55 and like the look of the Heym SR30. If anyone has experience with the SR30 I'd like to hear your opinions.

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I use the SR 20 and beautifully built accurate (clover leafs 3 rws 100g in 243 if i do my bit) rifle. And am sure the same can be said for their newer turnbolt sr21 or straight pull sr30. If it fits then go for it.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had an SR30 in 35 Whelen. It was the carbine model with an American style walnut stock. It was and is the fastest bolt action rifle I have ever seen,period. It had ERA irons on it. Rear was a flat top pyramid shape with a green flourescent rod up the center. The front was a banded ramp with a red flourescent bead. Just put the red dot on top of the green 'I' . Super accurate with most factory ammo. Only one small flaw. It kicked worse than any rifle I have ever shot and I quite regularly shoot a 416 Rigby And have no trouble with 100 rnds of 375H&H in a day. It was just miserable. It's gone. Beautifully made. Craftsmanship was outstanding. Would like to have another in a lesser caliber like a 7x57. Neatest safety ever. The bolt locking via ball bearings as on hydraulic push fittings is solid. Reccomend it highly.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, this action really intrigues me. I understand that it was designed by Peter Fortner, who also designed the straight pull fortner action used in the Anschutz biathlon rifles. It has been tested by the proof house in Suhl to 112,000 psi, and by another test lab to 155,000 psi. I am amazed how strong the collet style locking is.

I think I will start saving now and hopefully will buy one in the fall. It is interesting that you say it kicked so fiercely in 35 Whelen. I'm sticking with the 6.5x55 as it will be used mostly for deer and maybe some coyotes, so recoil won't be an issue.

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
It´s a wonderfull rifle!

good choice

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the SR20 if you find a good second hand one and on a budget. Not a straight pull like the SR30, but it is a beutifully made and smooth action and on occasion I have needed a second shot it is there very quickly. I did speak to Heym a couple of years ago - they still had one left handed SR20 action on the shelf, and like a fool I didn't snap it up. When I finally got my act togeher it had gone. The chap at Heym reconded these older action were even better than current models.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And as to the kickiness - thats will be down to stock shape - they do a"classic" which is the straight american style which recoils straight back, or a Germanic style hogs back with lots of drop at the shoulder which will kick upwards and hurt. Also check that the stock is long enough for you - mine in 243 is quite short for me, which is fine for a 243, but if it was any bigger a claibre, I would want to add another 1inch to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My new Heym SR30 Keiler 8x57IS (bought in 2011)

Posts: 43 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. Does the bolt lock up like a Blaser? Where (in the USA) do you get these?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter, i come from Germany. I think, if you want a heym, than you must look at www.heymusa.com!!
its a straight pull bolt action rifle.

regards
mauser9,3x62

Posts: 43 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote