THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Lipsey’s Ruger African in 35 Whelen is on their Website. Finally!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lipsey’s Ruger African in 35 Whelen is on their Website. Finally!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Hi cj,

Thank you so much for the measurements! I really appreciate you.

Was the barrel contour on the 280AI also.625? Anyone have one who can measure?

Surefire

Surefire,

You're welcome. If they have the same barrel contour, the Whelen will be lighter compared to the 280AI.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
quote:
Hi cj,

Thank you so much for the measurements! I really appreciate you.

Was the barrel contour on the 280AI also.625? Anyone have one who can measure?

Surefire

Surefire,

You're welcome. If they have the same barrel contour, the Whelen will be lighter compared to the 280AI.

Good point cj!

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YESTERDAY SOLD MY Ruger Hawkeye CIRCA 2011 MANUFACTURER, it LIKE THE African NEAR TWIN WAS A TAD TOO HEAVY FOR MY 89 YEARS AND MY Rem 721 REBORE TO 35 wHELEN IS MAX THESE DAYS AND INTENDED AS THE PERFECT ELK RIFLE UNLESS I SELL IT AND BUILD ANOTHER WITH A PRE64 wIN WITH CONTROL FEED, AT ANY RATE THE LACK OF RECOIL AND THE INTENCE KILLING EFFECT OF THE 35w AWAYS AMAZED ME AND AT MY AGE ITS MORE APEALING.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cant imagine why anyone would want a Hornet in such a large action with a block in it, another pink elephant that Lipsky's over looked perhaps..The 35 Whelen is the winner if its a light barrel. The 9,3x62 and 375 Ruger need the heavy barrel as they both have substantial recoil.my opine only.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have two of the Lipsey’s 9.3x62, and they are pleasant to shoot, to me at least. They have the smaller contour barrels as the 275 Rigby and the 6.5x55. I agree with you on the 375 Ruger, as it’s more powerful than a 375H&H, but I feel the 9.3 and 35 Whelen are almost twins in the recoil dept. But I shoot 250 and 280 gr. bullets in my Whelen mostly, so that’s probably why they seem so close to me. I also have a number of boxes of 310 gr. Woodleighs for my Whelen as well. But I agree that recoil is subjective and feels different to different folks, so this is just this one man’s opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray, I have two of the Lipsey’s 9.3x62, and they are pleasant to shoot, to me at least. They have the smaller contour barrels as the 275 Rigby and the 6.5x55. I agree with you on the 375 Ruger, as it’s more powerful than a 375H&H, but I feel the 9.3 and 35 Whelen are almost twins in the recoil dept. But I shoot 250 and 280 gr. bullets in my Whelen mostly, so that’s probably why they seem so close to me. I also have a number of boxes of 310 gr. Woodleighs for my Whelen as well. But I agree that recoil is subjective and feels different to different folks, so this is just this one man’s opinion (mine).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree but age is a factor as to weight and recoil, and I tend to want the 620 barrel with the 9,3 and 375 Ruger and a 9 to 9.5 lb. gun.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120