Find
Notify
Tools

338/06 vs 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
You never know on the long shots. Shot a Black Wildebeest @ 385 yards with a 300RUM (that's easy), now the Red Lechwe at 350 yards in mucho wind with a 1.75-5X scope and 375 H&H, that was a different story, but still made it happen.

On my 308 winchester, I try not to shoot beyond 300 yards, but have taken a fair number of sheep (corsican) and goats, on the move I may add, at greater than 300 yards.

So, if the 338-06 is not a 400 yard cartridge (yep, I know it will drop a lot), then it's a probably not a good choice for what I want to do. But I suspect it would do fine at 400 yards on elk sized animals in 200 and 225 grain bullets.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why? I have both and alternatives better than both!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I've got a 338-06AI turnbolt and a 35 Whelen pump gun. I don't think either could be called a 400 yard rifle. When loading 250gr solid copper Barnes bullets in each, there's not much of a difference. If my 375 H&H was out of commission, I'd begrudgingly chose the Whelen for brown bear, but that's only cause the Rem 7600 is a faster repeater. Which might be helpful if things get dicey.

I don't see a glaring error choosing any of your 4 choices, as long as you're not tied down to factory loads...those Rem Whelen loads are quite anemic. Something like the 338 Hawk/Scovill, which remedies the overly long case neck of all your poll choices might be a better option: Link to Z-hat custom

Cartridge OAL is the same. See the difference?

Yep
Same for me if I ever get around to it the 338 Hawk would be the one I'd build around.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fred,

I never said it was an ideal 400 yard round just that it should work as long as the guy on the trigger was up to it. Your load is still above 2K fps and energy at 400. Nosler states that the Partition will work properly above 1800 fps and seems that everyone like at least 1500 ft-lbs for elk. May not be perfect but it should work IMO. It has more energy and about the same velocity as an 06 with a 180 at 400, and I wondery how many elk have been taken at that range with the 06?

I wasn't saying that. JMO, from hunting w/ the 338-06 for a few years & diff size game, I just don't think the bullets do well much past 350yds. While Nosler says the NP works down to 1800fps, that is a general statement. All bullets made for the 338 are made for magnum vel. So my fav 210grNP just doesn't expande well dwon around 2000fps. My longest shots have bothe been 325-350yds. The exit wounds showed little expansion. Yes the elk & zebra wen down, but the wounds were not impressive. If I knew I was going to shoot 300yds & beyond, then a "softer" bullet like the 200gr Hornady or 200gr SpeerHC would do well. My problem is those bullet don't hold up well @ speeds above 2700fps (say close range stand hunting). I love the 338-06 & I would stretch it to 400yds under perfect conditions, but I would be leary of the bullet doing much more than a caliber size hole, but that can be enough w/ a 34 bore.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My $0.02 worth.

The longest distance I have taken game with any rifle was the 35 Whelen at 300 yards.

Two whitetails in trail. I was prone in the snow and took the trailing buck with the first shot and the lead doe with the second shot.
250gr Speers shooting with a peep sight.
Both dropped in their tracks. Rifle was sighted for 200 yard zero. Held at the top of their backs and the bullets hit (as predicted) about 8 inches below that - in their vitals.

If I was looking "to 400 yard" weapon I would probably use my 338-06 with Barnes 338 210gr TSX. It should open slow or fast (short or long range). But I don't consider either the 338-06 or the 35 Whelen to be an "ideal" 400 yard caliber.

If I knew I was going to be primarily focused on "elk, moose, brown bear" etc primarily at 400 yards I would packing my 338 RUM. Cool

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cartridge OAL is the same. See the difference?

Yep
Same for me if I ever get around to it the 338 Hawk would be the one I'd build around.

[Zhat looks to cut their formed case back to std.06 length]
Th AHR-Howell range of cartridges seem to make the most of the special xtra long cylinder brass,
Proper formed & headstamped 340 & 350 Howell cases are $21per 20 or $95/100, compared to $40 per 20, for a Zhat cat.
when people start extending and blowing out the 06 case , and/or unusually long throating in attempts to gain extra case capacity,
best if they first ask themselves if they just be much better and easier served with the reg. 338win.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338-06 AI with a 26" barrel, and I get 2875 fps with 225 gr. Nosler Accubonds (BC=0.55) - that's a 400 yd plus big game rifle. 63 grs of N204 and the pockets are good for at least 5 reloadings. Start 5 grs below and workup to it; this is maximum. Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am limiting my hunting to 300 yards.

30-06 and a can of bear spray works.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to vote for the 35 whelen because a friend just sold me a mauser barreled action in that caliber! dancing

Posts: 465 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

The 338-06 can not compete with the 338 Win Mag, end of story.

bsflag

The .338 Win. Mag. will give you a bit more range but beyond that there is not a nickel's worth of difference between the .338 Win. Mag., .338/06, the .35 Whelen. I have killed two elk with my Whelen with 250 grain Speers and never recovered a single bullet and both elk were DRT.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter:

P.M. sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
The 338-06 can not compete with the 338 Win Mag, end of story.

The 30-06 can not compete with the 300 H&H/300 Win Mag/300 Weatherby Mag, again, end of story.

The 338-06 and 35 Whelen are both good, capable big game rounds, the difference in the two can not be measured by the average hunter.

Pick which ever one you like and go with it, but one is not that much better than the other.

The 338-06 actually competes quite well, just 50yds closer. wave

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I've had both a 338-06 as well as a Whelen as well as a 338Wmag. That said I built a 340PDK and reduced my rifle count by a net 2. LOL. I happen to prefer the 338 cal over the 35 for my shooting needs. The AI, 338Hawk and 340 Howell will milk the 06 case a little more. My PDK adds to them. Not enough that the target can tell the difference.

Back to the story. I had a 338-06, added a 338Wmag because it was a Mag. Didn't gain $hit for my type of hunting.

If I didn't own and play with my wildcats I would be very happy with a 338-06. Yes a 338Wmag might give you 50 extra yds of point blank aim. Hey if you can't judge distance use a range finder and then aim just over the top of the shoulder. BOOM

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes loading the 160 TTSX makes the 338-06 a much greater velocity shooter than the 35 whelan.

Comments need to be updated with bullet technology.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote