New
Find
Notify
Tools

35-284
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
With the recent 350 rem mag thread, I got to thinking. Isn't the 284 case essentially a beltless rebated rem mag case? And if so, couldn't one use a modified 350 rem mag reamer to cut a beltless chamber, and use 350 rem mag dies to reload for a 35-284?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you could, you would gain a slight increase in capacity, but would it be enough to warrant the effort?

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The plan is just for a beltless 350. Not positive it would be worth the effort, but, for re-barrelling a 308 based round, you wouldn't have to have the bolt opened up. It seems like it would be cheaper then going with a 35-284, and paying for the custom dies.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
You would get a to long cart. with heavy bullets with a 35*55 for shortac.
Get a 35 Whelen, or maybe a 9,3*57 a nice moose cartridge.

<Don Martin29>
posted
There are not many short action "magnum" actions around but if you have or make one then you could just keep grinding the bottom off the sizing die until it got close to the shoulder. This might be the path of least resistance.

Whoever puts the barrel on could relieve a standard set of .350 Rem dies at the belt.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I think I'd go with the wildcat 35-WSM rather than a 35-284... it'd be a little faster, the feed-work is already done on the action and Brass would be more available and sheaper. Hopefully Olin or Remington will see fit to do a 35 or, better yet, a 375 Short Mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul. I believe that the 284 is not a beltless mag case. In terms of case capacity the 284 is just under the 280 Rem case, and a wee bit less than the 350 Rem Mag case. So I don't see this except if you want a short action 35 Whelen. The 35 WSM on the other hand really holds some possibilities. It should be just short of the 358 Norma, and that's not a bad place to be. I like this idea. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<richard10x>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
With the recent 350 rem mag thread, I got to thinking. Isn't the 284 case essentially a beltless rebated rem mag case? And if so, couldn't one use a modified 350 rem mag reamer to cut a beltless chamber, and use 350 rem mag dies to reload for a 35-284?

Back when the dinosaurs still ruled the world and there was still the fine Savage M-99, I did one up on a Savage that was an origional .284 Winchester. The rifle was pretty usefull, but required using a C-H cannelure tool on the bullets as the factory cannelure made loaded rounds too long for the magazine. This limited case capacity, but was still a step above the .358 Winchester. For a lot less work and expense today I would just go with a Ruger M-77 RSI and rebarrel to .358 Winchester in the short action, or .35 Brown/Whelen in the long action.

<bearmanmt>
posted
Paul,
Brad from Bozeman is correct. The hot ticket today would be a .35/.300 WSM. As Brad noted, everything is done. Also, .284 cases are hard to come by and are sometimes hard to neck up without collapsing the sharp shoulder. Three-fify Remington Mag cases, while still available, will eventually dry up.
All wildcats will require some type of custom dies to be able to reload professional quality reloads. As one other responder noted, a set of .350 Rem Mag dies could probably be made to work as a neck die and seater.
One other option is the .376 Steyer. Good ballistics, but again, I think that this one will probably die and cases will be hard to get.
Anyway, just some ideas.
Great Shooting
The Bearman