THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Which calibre for wild boars in mountains?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which calibre for wild boars in mountains?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just came back from Europe and in the area I had been they have a nice wild boar population. I was invited as a guest and within three hours our group got 4 boars; 80kg, 2x100 kg, 120kg, approx. weights. Nope, I did not have luck.

Anyhow, I expect to join them frequently and thinking about new rifle. The point is that because of mountainous terrain, you have range 20-50 meters bellow your stand, or 300 meters or even more, on another side of valley or canyon. Also, rifle should be on lighter side, but when you get a chance to shoot on running boars, 4-5 rounds rapidly are very common.

At first moment I was thinking about 7x64 (from what I had seen, a good quality 7mm bullet from that cartridge is more than enough for distances up to 200m), but because of those long shoots, I am seriously considering 7mm Remington Magnum or even 7mm Weatherby. Now, from what I had seen, 7mm magnums are usually in rifles weighing 8 lb or more. Well, I am not young chick any more, and would prefer something bit lighter.

One of local folks went around that problem re-chambering 7x64 into 7mm Remington Magnum and adding one of those pads to reduce kick in shoulder. He got beautiful, light yet powerful rifle, but I have one serious concern; I am afraid that firing several 7mm magnums rounds rapidly would seriously erode camber in short order. Any experience or opinion about this? Also, did anybody make lighter rifle in one of 7mm magnums?

BTW, my intention is to reload so once I have brass, difference in cost is minimal.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Onty.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Onty:
I am afraid that firing several 7mm magnums rounds rapidly would seriously erode camber in short order. Any experience or opinion about this?

If your intended rifle is for hunting (as opposed to heavy range use) don't worry about throat erosion. Even with 4-5 rapid shots - occasionally - you could pass that rifle onto the next generation, and they would enjoy it as much as you have.

BUT, do make sure you take precautions against hearing damage if barrages of 4-5 shots are called for. Repeated firings within a short period of time, is about the worst scenario for hearing damage.

A 7mm Mag, sure why not?? That would work.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Depends on how far you want to chase the boars. In the 100kg range, a 30 cal rifle in 30-06 or 300 win mag is about right. For the 150 kg range, I like the 338's a little better. With the mags, you have the ability to shatter a leg bone anchoring the animal right there. But being in a stand, the recoil may be an issue. If you are stuck on 7mm, take a look at the 280 remington if you are a reloader. Near 7mm mag performance (about 100 fps) with cheaper brass and less noise/recoil.

I agree with Mike on throat erosion. Even a rebarrel job costs you about $300-$400 at the most, and it would take about 3000-5000 rds before you see any accuracy loss, thats a lot of pigs.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think a Blaser R 93 in 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag would be just about perfect, assuming you can get ammothere for those calibres.

The Blaser R 93 is the fastest shooting bolt rifle I know of.

It is also very accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
For what you describe I would have no problems using a 7x64.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know where you hunt wild boars in Europe, but in France or Germany we shot this game at very short range. Long range shooting on wild boars is impossible because you shot on running game or in the evening, and sometimes in the night. The best caliber is the 9,3 , 9,3x74R in a double or 9,3x62 in a bolt action.

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a .358 Winchester in a nice short action. Those can be light and still not kick bad. At the range you'll be shooting, that cartridge would be perfect. It wouldn't drop much and would drop those pigs like a bad habit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. Well, since I am going to reload, another option is 280 Remington AI; it’s very close to 7mm magnums, with less powder and blast, and rifle will usually take 5 rounds instead of 3 magnums. Also, improved cartridge last much longer than standard one. And I like to shoot my rifle. That is the reason I like 8x57; I have a good supply of ball ammo for practicing.

280 Remington AI calibre has another advantage over 7x64; as far as I can find, brass is much easier to get in N. America than 7x64, and much less costly, even if I fireform it. And if I have it right, any 7x64 rifle can be easily modified to 280 Remington AI without setting barrel back.

As for rifle itself, I have very soft spot for M98 sporter with, oh, so nice butter-knife handle.

quote:
I dont know where you hunt wild boars in Europe, but in France or Germany we shot this game at very short range. Long range shooting on wild boars is impossible because you shot on running game or in the evening, and sometimes in the night. The best caliber is the 9,3 , 9,3x74R in a double or 9,3x62 in a bolt action.

Heck, some of my folks knocked them last year on 10-30 meters, few used 12 gage slug, another 7x65R. However, as I mentioned we are talking about quite mountainous area.

It's not uncommon situation when one hunter fires first shot or two from a rock on boar bellow, and rest of them waiting until other boars surface out of bush hundreds of meters away.

Otherwise, I will just get Marlin in 444 or 45-70 and cast my own bullets…

As for running animals, it's not easy but it can be done. As for night, there are now some limits, I think half hour before dawn and half hour after dusk. Personally, I never fire a shot if I do not clearly see where the bullet is going to stop.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll second Grandveneur 100%. My personal drive hunting rifles are :

fair weather :

FN Browning CCS25 O/U in 9,3x74R + 1,25-4x24 scope

foul weather :

Blaser R93 in 9,3x62 + 1,25-4x24 scope

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed one in Africa with my 300 RUM shooting a Nosler 200gr bullet. I killed another one in
N. caroline with my Rem 7mm Mag shooting a 160gr Nosler bullet. The one in NC was a running shot.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,
Those are two very good rifles you have.
My any weather all round medium game rifle is a Dumoulin bolt action in 9.3x62.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
No disputing your choice either, oldun. Ernest Dumoulin started refining the Mauser right where Mauser himself did quit.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Onty: 7x64, .280 Rem, or .280 Rem AI are all equally good choices. I own and shoot a number of belted magnums. There is nothing wrong with them, but there is nothing a 7mm RM will do at 300 meters that a .280 Rem will not. Your point about 5 vs. 3 in magazine capacity is an important point that is well-taken and often overlooked.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA 6 1/2 pound ,7 X 57 scout With a 160 grain psp.JMHO fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be boring, but it sounds like you need a .30/06 ...

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Onty didn't mention the country he plans to hunt, but France (and a handful of other European countries) don't allow the use of the .30-06 and other former military cartridges because they are . . . MILITARY CARTRIDGES! (I didn't think this one up, and it is no slam against France as every country, including the U.S., has some nonsensical firearms regulations. Remember how the Germans had to invent the 8x60 since the post WW-I treaties forbade them producing the 8x57?) So, Onty may need to restrict his caliber choice to something that has never been a military cartridge, and if so, the .280 family is a good choice.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Are you mostly walking up the game, or primarily shooting it from a stand?

If you are walking a lot and jumping the boars out of the brush, then I'd go with the suggestions you already have, though I would pick the 7x65 myself. As you are a handloader, you could load good 139 gr. TSX-style bullets to shoot as flat as you would ever need at 300 meters and they would smack a boar down very well.

The reason I asked, though, is if you shoot mainly from a stand, and can then well afford the weight of a slightly longer action, I'd consider something more like a 7m/m STW for its even flatter trajectory and more energy at ranges of 300 meters and beyond. Brass is easy to form and there's plenty of loading data around for that cartridge, too.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Onty didn't mention the country he plans to hunt, but France (and a handful of other European countries) don't allow the use of the .30-06 and other former military cartridges because they are . . . MILITARY CARTRIDGES…

Thanks for warning but in area where I have intention to hunt former military round is not the issue. However, this is something to be considered in case I get invited in one of those countries; you never know what gonna happened…

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Are you mostly walking up the game, or primarily shooting it from a stand?

The way my folks hunt wild boars; one group is going into valley or canyon with dogs and drive them out, armed with shotguns and combo guns, another group with rifles is strategically located on cliffs, hills, etc, from where they have clear view of boars exiting out. Since this is vast mountainous area there is no shortage of climbing and sometime running in order to get into god position when running boars take unexpected route. That is the reason why light rifle is so desirable. Interesting thing is that at least 50% of kills is done by first group, so there is no shortage of volunteers, especially in winter time. Since my folks know that I am good with rifle and no dogs, and on top of that I like to shoot foxes (too many of them, rabies not uncommon) in most cases I have no choice…

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have used my .30-06 most - works great. the .375hh is fun, but not necessary.

i would say anything from 7x57 upwards works. the question of the terrain has more influence then anything else...

what is more critical for me is a superb premium optic to be able to hunt in the lowest light possible - because that is the time, the pigs come out most... my decission here is a Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50. or for the driven hunts a LED illuminated front sight - works great and independed from daylight... Smiler

http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...r-blaser-rifles.html

http://www.titanium-gunworks.d...hre/z6i-2-12x50.html

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have taken my 7mm Mag for boar hunting.
The one I killed in Africa I shot it with my 300 Ultra Mag. Didn't have much choise. I used a 200gr Nosler bullet. But the one I shot in N.C. I used my 7mm Mag and would again.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby feather weight in .280 Rem. and love it. It shoots sub-MOA and weighs 5.5 pounds. You can carry it all day without pain. I use it on anything up to brown bear. Five quick shots will heat up the barrel so you don't want to grab it. It would take several thousand rounds to start seeing any meaningful throat erosion....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Onty:

The way my folks hunt wild boars; one group is going into valley or canyon with dogs and drive them out, armed with shotguns and combo guns, another group with rifles is strategically located on cliffs, hills, etc, from where they have clear view of boars exiting out. Since this is vast mountainous area there is no shortage of climbing and sometime running in order to get into god position when running boars take unexpected route. That is the reason why light rifle is so desirable. Interesting thing is that at least 50% of kills is done by first group, so there is no shortage of volunteers, especially in winter time. Since my folks know that I am good with rifle and no dogs, and on top of that I like to shoot foxes (too many of them, rabies not uncommon) in most cases I have no choice…

That sounds like great fun!

I think if I was in the group climbing/beating the valley, I'd carry either a Ruger M77RSI in .308, a Steyr Professional in 8x57 Mauser, or a Steyr Pro-Hunter in .376 Steyr, depending on just how dense the brush was likely to be. I have all three, so could fit the rifle to the terrain of the day's intended hunt.

If I was in the group sitting on the ridge, then I have a lot more to choose from in the vault, but would probably opt for either the 7x64 or the .308 Norma Mag, both of which have trigger set-ups which allow me to use them either set or unset. Third and 4th alternatives here would be the ZKK in .30-06, or the S&L in 7 mm Rem Mag.

Tough choices all, but I'd enjoy making them if that hunt was available to me.

Good luck; sounds as if you're in for some more roaring good times.

Weidmannsheil (Sp?), or should it be Jaeger's Heil?

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote