New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling a Brno ZKK-601?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a Brno ZKK-601 at auction in .25-284 caliber. The description says the bore has corrosion and the rifling is worn. I am thinking this would make a good candidate for rebarreling to something like 7mm-08. The plus is that it is a CRF rifle.

Ammo is readily available for the 7mm-08 and it is not outrageously priced. Unlike the .25-284, I wouldn't have to reform brass, buy expensive dies, or even reload.

How hard is it to rebarrel a Brno? I would have a gunsmith do it.

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Gunsmithing question.
Done many of them; just like anything else, it is easy, with Metric threads. Not inch. If you can't cut metric threads, then it would be hard. As in, impossible.
CRF? Way over hyped. I never got the advantage in a sporting rifle (military, with untrained soldiers, which is why it was developed, yes), and I have hundreds of them.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
First I would try some 7mm08 rounds in the magazine to see if the rails will keep them down. The Win 284 case is fatter than the 08 case and may have had the rails opened up. Just confirm before committing to a rebarrel to the 08 cartridge, which by the way is a good choice.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had someone mention that could be a problem elsewhere. By my calculation, the .284 rails would be .021 narrower than for the 7mm-08 to account for the wider cartridge.

If .284 were still common, I'd probably go with that.

John Richardson

Posts: 67 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It will still work with 7-08.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to make a correction. I made the wrong assumption that it was a Brno ZKK-601. The action is either a Brno M98/22 or vz24. I should have looked more closely for a picture of a ZKK-601 before I assumed it was one.

John Richardson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then it has inch threads,1.1 inch OD and 12 TPI and makes it easier. For some lathes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go straight 284 win.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-284 would also be a great candidate.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for 6.5-284, have it chambered in no neck turn and brass is available from Lapua. It is a stunningly accurate round without faffing with cases. They like common powders too.