THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Best Projectile for stopping power for 270win: I got charged by a scrub bull !!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Projectile for stopping power for 270win: I got charged by a scrub bull !!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted
Hi Team,

The Australian Outback proves to be a bit of an issue !!

Today I had the unfortunate luck of being charged by a scrub bull, luckily I had seen sign around and had roundsin the magazine ready to rip, these were 130 Grain Remington corelokts

When the bad boy did charge, Hewas only 25 or so yards away and I quickly dispatched 2 rounds
into his neck but a 3rd was equired to fully stop him, the 2 first shots merely slowed him

I have now just prdered a Ruger 375, but in the mean time, what are the best projectiles in 277 for stopping power

Cheers

Beefa

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main problem with an animal of that size is penetration. Also if the animal is really close you will need to make a brain shot to save your bacon, again penetration is the key.

This is one place where a Barnes X would be a good choice.

You have an expanding bullet for what ever else you are hunting, but also a bullet that will hold together on a scrub bull.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mate, count yourself lucky.... a 270 at that range with virtually any bullet will do the job,but at the same time virtually any bullet won't do the job if it isn't placed exactly right.

I've used the 270 plenty of times, but I've had a lot to do with cattle, and scrubbies as well...

To give you an idea, I put a 12G slug into teh forehead of a scrubbie... it knocked him down, but the slug travelled along the top of his skull, skidded up, and under his skin along the top of his back until it stopped just about where his shoulder was.... it didn;t kill him, just knocked him out cold... for about a minute - which was just the time it took for me to walk up to him, and (I know this from experience) he just started recovering before the 130g entered his head at point blank range...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
If I had to soup up the 270 to max performance, I would load up 160 grain partitions.. and with H 4831 SC ( which is made in Oz).. I can get better than 2900 fps...

Once again those, stories like that make for some exciting stories... and wet pants..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
..... I would load up 160 grain partitions.. ....exciting stories... and wet pants..
I'm with seafire2. All the old guys from Africa, it seems, used the heaviest for caliber bullets for dangerous game (and other game too). Bell used the 7mm Mauser with 174gr round nose solids for elephant. I'm told these would exit the back of the skull! (An elephant has a huge skull).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I had to soup up the 270 to max performance, I would load up 160 grain partitions.. and with H 4831 SC ( which is made in Oz).. I can get better than 2900 fps...

Yeah me too, I certainly wouldn't be dicking around with 130 grainers.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
Yeah I will load some heavy projectiles for sure, we never expected to see any scrub bulls, possibly some small deer and goats, this was by far the biggest animal I have ever shot in Australia !

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Nosler Partition 150gr with good results.
But, like yourself, I decided that a bigger rifle was in order for walking around the top end.
In my case I got a 416 Rem...

The Barnes X or TSX should do well, in the meantime.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After it was over the adrenilan must have been quite a rush.
However had it been me I think my laundry lady may have had wished the bull had won !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd actually LOVE being charged by a scrub bull...
It gives new meaning to the phrase "Beef it's what's for dinner"

I consider it fair to eat any animal that attacks me.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Try 140gr Accubonds or the 150gr XP3's
I use the Accubonds in my 270WSM's...great performance on big game here in Alberta.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
140 grn. partitions

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be using a tsx,as they retain much more weight than a partition,and penetrate better as well.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a swift A-Frame? I think they make a 150gr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 Gauge slug with in 0- 50 Yd. comes to mind it's a hell of a lot heavier that 130 -160 grains and has Knock down power as well as killing power with in those ranges !.
270 is Roo and Hog shooter Mate , from a fair distance use 140-160 grain for that .

Another nice back up is an Alaskan 460 pistol , but they don't let ya have em down under any more.
Derby bastards !.
Hoist a cold one make mine a Tooheys Old .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beefa:
Yeah I will load some heavy projectiles for sure, we never expected to see any scrub bulls, possibly some small deer and goats, this was by far the biggest animal I have ever shot in Australia !

I'd also opt for the heavier & more heavily constructed bullets. The plus side is that if you encounter small game, they won't expand as much and tear up the meat.

Nice story with a good ending!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you can fine winchester fail-safes 140 grainers. buy them and reload em. noslers 150 partition also. or geta 338 win. mag and show them scrub-bulls how to do the nose-plow. animal regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
AR Team,

Please see the pic below of the bad boy who tried to trample me !

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Didn't read the whole thread yet, but IMO any of these would do well:

160 Partition
150 Aframe
150 Partition
150 TSX
140 Fail Safe

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
In that situation with a .270.. I'd think I would want to have some 150gr Barnes Triple-Shocks loaded up. That way you would get the maximum effect you could get out of a .277 bullet.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
That's a young bull! What the hell are they like when they are old and cantankerous!? Eeker Wink

(I bet he tasted real good after what he tried to do to you). Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beefa,
thanks 4 posting pixs,i forgot you preordered that r-375 that'll work way better,great shooting,manoman they must bee pure dynamite.
ive read that scrub-bulls will beat-up your wild buffalo, is that really true?
regards n cheers thumb

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
160 grain Nosler Partition.

Mine shoots them to the same POI at 100 as it does 130 Sierra BTs. Big Grin

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjmp:
beefa,
thanks 4 posting pixs,i forgot you preordered that r-375 that'll work way better,great shooting,manoman they must bee pure dynamite.
ive read that scrub-bulls will beat-up your wild buffalo, is that really true?
regards n cheers thumb

Im not sure about the buffalo thing, but I ma very happy I put him down, I was ready to run up a tree !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beefa,
10-4 on that man!!!i'm sure he was comming like a fright train. nosler and winchester also made the (CT)Partition Gold bullet.
its a beefed up version that retains 80% while their normal partition retains 60%. these bullet is no longer made sadly but there might bee a few around, it was only made in 150 grain weight. moly or non moly, forgot to mention that winchesters fail-safe is no longer made also.. your country makes the woodlie bullet,forgive wrong spelling maybe they make it in .277 caliber. regards Wink

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The vegetation in that picture looks pretty much like what's in the field across from my house in the summer.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Looks like a heiffer to me. The head and jaw is really slim for a bull and bull-horns are usually straight(er). Are you sure she had balls? Smiler

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 900 SS:
Looks like a heiffer to me. The head and jaw is really slim for a bull and bull-horns are usually straight. Are you sure she had balls? Smiler

100% mate LOL staright horns ?

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mate, count yourself lucky.... a 270 at that range with virtually any bullet will do the job,but at the same time virtually any bullet won't do the job if it isn't placed exactly right.

This gentleman has captured the essence of the problem! The best proof of this truism I can cite is the performance of that great ivory poacher, W.D.M. Bell. Bell killed over 800 elephant with the 173-grain Kynoch FMJ military load in a ".275 Rigby Mauser", aka the 7X57mm.

The great majority of these varmints were one-shot kills, brain shot of course. But Bell was, according to acquaintances, a superb marksman, who could consistently hit silver-dollar size targets offhand at 100 yards.

If you are a superb marksman, know your beast's anatomy intimately, and are shooting a projectile with proven penetrating ability, you can drop them instantly - with a hit through their central nervous system. IF you miss this spot, it doesn't much matter what bullet you chose.

BTW, congratulations on your performance on that critter you dropped-good show!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you got lucky, mate.. the 270 is probably the worst medium you could have had. See, the 270 is built for light bullets fast, and in your case, you had 130s. At what, 3100fps? Even a barnes would have shed petals and not penetrated at 25 yards...

This is an (excuse) reason why I rarely go into the field with anything smaller than .375, and generally in the moderate vels, 2500 to 2150 ... in the case of the 270, if you had shot him with 2500fps, it would have gone at LEAST a foot deeper... Now, don't argue with me about that, or low velocity (2150 aint low) .. Whelen did MANY experiments with the 30-06 and penetration of normal bullets, and they penetrated deeper from 200 yards than at 10, (ten) .. DOUBLE in fact, as the bullet was destroyed at impact

375 ruger with TSX bullets would have afforded you a single head shot, bang, flog.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this shooter/hunter showed great skill in placeing his shots during this animals charge.if he would have run odds are he'd would have been gored and trampled. this is not your hand feed,barn raised ,stall groomed bull calf raised too adulthood. these are WILD ANIMALS they will eather CHARGE you on site,or flee from you! something like a Grizzly Bear! EL-Deguello you nailed it cold! the only 3 things that saved BELL were his Skill, bullet choice,and shot placement. jeffeosso, those punny core-loks were just enough to work with this shooters shot placement, good choice no! lesson learned yes i'm sure. No -punn ment.
however i feel the barnes would work wonderfully as a sub. heck even 100% copper bullets that loose their petals act like a blunt nose solid and still will smoke any cup-core normal weak built bullet. why are the big 5 of africa shot with round-nose solids? cause they flatly work and penatrate. no flame ment just looking at this from a different angle. BTW my congrat's again to this young brave hunter!!!! regards jjmp