New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vom Hoffe cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just out of interest has anyone shot any of these continental RUM ancestors? Were they hopelessly optimistic (over 4000ftlbs energy from 170gr bullet!) What were they based on 404?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those infected with the magnum mania, the story of the various vom Hofe cartridges is enticing. Some of them remained prototypes or semi-prototypes. I use to visit the Gehmann shop in Karlsruhe when I pass there, and like to chat with the very knowledgeable gunsmith, Mr. Schweigert. Old Walter Gehmann is still alive (!), and drops in ever so often (though I have never met him yet in person).

One might wish to add the latest sibling of the family, the fine 9,5 x 66 vom Hofe (probably the best of 'em all).

Regards,

Carcano
carcano91@hotmail.com

[ 05-30-2002, 13:39: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thankyou very much indeed. I've allways been fascinated by the Vom Hofe line not least because of the name! Unfortunately I am much more conservative in my shooting and buying habits.

A question for you both:- do you think the 6x57 mentioned in COTW actualy existed as a factory loading?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear 1894,

I always wondered whence your name is derived: Swedish carbine, Brasil Mauser, or Winchester ? :-).
As to the 6 x 57 Mauser, Olson's book did not help.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, for stalking in GB have you considered the 6.5x68? I used a Steyr in that chambering on chamois, trajectory and results were most impressive! Don�t use the 6 g bullet, heavier ( 125 to 140 grs )is better. I think dies and brass are way cheaper than "von Hofe" designs.

A Mauser 98 would be classic ( a Mauser 66 in that chambering is extremely handy!! ), a Steyr very accurate, and a Sauer 202 with 6.5x68 and 8x68S would handle anything on this planet except four animals with rather thick hides.

For emergencies: Woodleigh 250 grs Solid, GS FN.

Have fun! Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hermann,

Do Sauer have the 6.5 X 68 and 8 X 68 as barrels.

A friend of mine in Australia had interest but it appeared that the Sauer was not available in those calibers.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano 91 - I hope you jest re Winchester [Mad] 1894 the year of birth of the 6.5x55 cartridge [Cool]

AHunter - my interest is solely in the realm of history, for my style of hunting the 6.5x68 would be too much. I have my lot now and will never change I think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
Hermann,

Do Sauer have the 6.5 X 68 and 8 X 68 as barrels.

A friend of mine in Australia had interest but it appeared that the Sauer was not available in those calibers.

Mike

Yup, J.P.Sauer make 8x88 and 6.5x68 barrles.

here's the link:

http://www.sigsauer.de/eng/jindex1.html (check out the S90 standard/lux version and the 202 euro version. caliber listings are under technical details.)

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote